Stillside's 3950g generic road build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stillside

by Stillside

Hi everyone! My name is Nick, and I'm a designer/inventor. I founded a company called TriRig that some of you know about. I still design some parts for TriRig but am not posting here in an official capacity.

Below is my idea of an ideal light bike build. While everyone will have their own opinions on what they'd do differently, I really love the bike just as it is. Probably the most controversial decision is my choice to use a TT pursuit bar as the handlebar, with no drops. I've done this on several bikes in the past and have always enjoyed it. The combo is already very light at about 250g for the bar/stem combination, and the modified TT brake levers also act as the shifters, with some downtube shifter hardware plus custom hardware made just for the task. The brakes are also custom prototypes I designed, I think they come to about 85g per brake, complete with pads and bolts. The wheelset is an Ax Lightness Ultra 25T custom modified by WeightWeenies member UpFromOne, and they clock in at an astonishing 693g for the pair.

I wasn't very good about measuring each piece for a good breakdown, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Note, many parts on the bike are one-off, not generally available. Such as the Dash saddle/post combo - while Dash makes the best saddles and combos on the planet, this particular model isn't available for sale, but was a special commission done as a favor to me and I was asked to make clear that it isn't a regularly-available item. Same for the Fibre-Lyte ring: currently they don't make rings for the Torno crank, this was a one-off.

There are a few places I can save some grams, with a little work this could be closer to 3800g, but I'm not sure I care to go that low. I'm very happy with the bike just as it is. Thanks for looking!
  • Frame: Dengfu R01, tuned w/custom cable routing, ~750g
  • Fork: Dengfu R01, 315g
  • Seatpost/Saddle: Dash custom, tuned, 105g
  • Seatpost Clamp: Carbonice, 5g
  • Wheelset: Ax Lightness Ultra25T, tuned by WW user UpFromOne, 693g
  • Tires: Tufo Elite 135
  • Brakes: Omega SSL Custom
  • Crank: 3T Torno, 170mm, Fibrelyte chainring 44t
  • Cassette: Recon 11-25t, 110g
  • RD: SRAM Red tuned, 129g
  • Handlebar/Stem: 3T Aduro, 250g
  • Shifters/Brake Levers: Shimano BL-TT79 Tuned
  • Pedals: TriRig Mercury
  • Skewers: TriRig Styx
  • Generic bottle cage (aliexpress): 5g
Attachments
SLZ_0611.jpg
SLZ_0670.jpg
SLZ_0680.jpg
SLZ_0685.jpg
SLZ_0686.jpg
SLZ_0691.jpg
SLZ_0698.jpg
SLZ_0703.jpg
SLZ_0709.jpg
Last edited by Stillside on Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

keaton

by keaton

Old school weight weenies vibes, love it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Looks scary light

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

This is incredible
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

physeter

by physeter

Absolutely mind blowing bike!

C36

by C36

Love it! That’s a very refreshing bike build!
Love how you integrated the shifter and the brakes, curious how they perform, I did CAD design some very similar 17 years ago but never went any further.

Like on all those record bikes, the only thing that really annoys me are the Tufo tubes that roll terrible (RR).

Anything special on the details ? Bearings, housings, cables ?

Stillside

by Stillside

Thanks!

The brakes perform beautifully. They have the same mechanical formula as the Omega X, which is a fantastic brake as well. Shifting is beautiful, the lever is very easy to access at all times, and you don't have to move as with true downtube shifters. It works very well indeed.

I agree on the tires, I typically build with Vittoria Corsa Sped G+, but these Tufo ones were the only way to get the total weight under 4kg, which I really wanted to do.

Headset bearings are Cane Creek AER (aluminum). Bottom bracket is from Lightning, can't remember if it's standard or ceramic, it's just what I had available. Two cups pressed into the frame, plus a wave washer and one spacer. Very simple setup. Wheel bearings are some kind of magic things from UpFromOne - he can be more specific here if he'd like. I don't really know.

Cables are standard steel. I do have some KCNC titanium that I might use at some point. Housing is an "ultralight" type I found on aliexpress, which weighs about the same weight as segmented housings (~10g per foot of housing). I needed to make some tight turns that the segmented stuff couldn't do. Nor could the Tune housing make the turns. I might revisit housing and cables in the future, but there's not a ton of savings to be had; there's not much housing in total on the bike. I use a couple custom 3D printed bits so that I can run bare cable through most of the way for all three runs.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Amazing bike, clever choice of parts, especially the post/saddle combo and the brakes (absolutely agree with your rating of Dash-saddles!)
Frameset looks nice, which model is it?
Thank you, regards,

Stillside

by Stillside

Thank you! The brakes weren't really a part I "chose" for the bike, so much as I designed for the bike. I designed these from the ground up, specifically for this build, using my previous designs in the Omega series as a starting point.

The frame was the lightest generic one I could find at the time, some open mold affair from eBay. Not sure the maker. Tougher to find these days with everything going to disc. But it's a rim braking, PF30, ~750g frameset. Very well made, smooth internal walls, good clean manufacturing tells all over. Wish I'd kept the info but now I don't know.

Stillside

by Stillside

A quick search tells me this might be the Dengfu R01.

TimmS

by TimmS

COOL!

Long time since I've seen such a geeked out build!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i have some aerolite pedals tt ti nitride at 60 grams that would shave some weight on your bike. what a great bike!!!!

C36

by C36

Reviewing the built tough to see things to change ! One thing that came in mind: wouldn’t carbon spokes now available for std hub suce few grams and bring more stiffness to the wheels?

Stillside

by Stillside

Haha, of course most people see one or more parts they would change.

The pedals will stay; the TriRig Mercury are maybe 10g more than aerolite, and significantly better due to correct cleat placement, and alignment. Aerolite requires either drilling your shoes (eliminating all further adjustment) or using the back two bolts only, placing the spindle about 35mm further back than is normal. Also I designed them, so I like them :-)

The pilar titanium spokes will also stay; I neither have interest in testing out the durability of the always-dubious carbon/alloy connection for the carbon spokes, nor do I need any greater stiffness.

Now, if there were a feasible path to hit 3550g (-400g off of current), and keep all current function, I'd be interested. But I don't think there is any combination of part savings that would get there, without making some function sacrifices that I don't want to make.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You could save about 350 grams by doing the following: replace frame with edmonda slr and remove all the paint will save 130 grams, titanium nitride chain will save 20 grams, Thm fibulas may save 50 grams, tune skyline skewers road edition will save 22 grams, Bdop alloy casssette save 15 grams, Tufo tires track 70 grams (not really road rideable though), bontrager xxx bar stem tube saving 45 grams (on eBay right now weighing 205 grams).

I have all of the above, many of which are still in box