Stillside's 3950g generic road build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stillside

by Stillside

I appear to have the 1-1/4" crown. Bearing is 34mm ID, 47mm OD. Everything I've seen on eBay appears to be the 1-1/2" crown. I took a flyer on one 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod fork that MIGHT be correct, got it for a mere 65 bucks, so it's not a huge waste if it isn't perfect. Fingers crossed to preserve the efforts made so far. Sanding carbon is tiring business.

By the way, which seatpost clamp are you SuperSix builders using? My Carbonice one won't work, as it expects a 31.8mm OD, while the SuperSix seatpost is super thin, at 30mm OD. I've tried tuning the stock clamp, got it down to 13g or so, but the Carbonice one is half that.
Attachments
IMG_3856.jpg
IMG_3857.jpg
IMG_3858.jpg
IMG_3859.jpg

takolino

by takolino

I've used MT Zoom in two flavors. The thin one is 6g but I've snapped one on a steel frame. The newer one is 8g and looks reinforced. Yuniper is also 6g and looks similar to the older MT Zoom so try at your own risk. Available in 30mm at R2bike.

Regarding the fork, yours looks like the Evo fork because it has the metal race. Both Evo and Evo2 use the same headsets. I believe 1 1/4". Just to be clear, the Evo2 is from 2016-2019 and looks similar although the fork is quite a bit thinner and looks better imo. Only drawback is that there is a gap at the rear of the crown so the lower bearing is partially exposed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I’ve snapped a Yuniper once (the lighter 6g version) and decided that shaving a few grams there wasn’t a good idea. The 8g version may be the way to go but I would still think twice about saving the 2 or 3 grams and shave it elsewhere.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

xsnailx

by xsnailx

why not use the 4g darimo clamp?, i have it for almost 3 years and is rock solid

Stillside

by Stillside

Excellent suggestions, thanks!!

C36

by C36

+1 for Darimo. It is also perfectly « integrated » to the frame.

Stillside

by Stillside

Hallelujah! I found a replacement fork on eBay which came in today, and it's a respectable 311g. It still has a stock expander inside, which doesn't appear to have any removal method. Anyone know how to solve that? There's an M8 threaded insert about 35mm down, and then a metal shim above that. Any ideas what to do?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

A picture would help

Stillside

by Stillside

That little hole offset from the central M8 is not threaded nor hex-shaped. I already tried tapping out with a hammer (put the M8 bolt in place, then an M7 bolt in that bolt's central thread, then gripped the M6 bolt with a hammer, tried taping out the hammer - so all force was going toward pulling out the insert), but it didn't budge even with considerable force.
Attachments
IMG_3874.jpg

Stillside

by Stillside

Success!!! Some drilling work and it all came out. Not too heavy to be honest, but we are still definitely saving weight with the Ultrastar and Fairwheel topcap setup. Lightest combo in the business.
Attachments
IMG_3875.jpg
IMG_3876.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Nice careful drilling is last resort but worked out well.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Regarding the heavy fork, what color was it before you stripped it? Wasn't it grey with red logos accidentally?

The thing why I ask, is that Cannondale had 2 models with somewhat similar paint (red / grey / black) in 2013/2014, one of which was Himod, the other - non Himod. So if you say that you got a matching frame + fork, it might actually have been that you got the HM frame with the non HM fork (which was 320+ g).
This is the non-HM version: viewtopic.php?t=125933

And see in attachment how the himod SS evo looked like.
Attachments
ssevo_hm.png
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Stillside

by Stillside

No, it wasn't red. It was white base with black logos. The frame had the hi-mod logo on the seat tube, just below the top tube junction. The fork didn't have any hi-mod logo for what it's worth.

The new fork is all stripped and re-clearcoated, comes to 291g before cutting, which I'm guessing will be 10-15g more. Happy ending here ;-)
Attachments
original frame
original frame
original frame
original frame
new fork - 291g before cutting
new fork - 291g before cutting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stillside

by Stillside

mike wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:14 am
Nice careful drilling is last resort but worked out well.
The inner shim actually served to protect the carbon from my drill bits. So I just made two large holes, one on each end of the circle, essentially cutting the insert in half. Then everything just fell out, without a single scratch on the carbon.