Stillside's 3950g generic road build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stillside

by Stillside

I would LOVE a sub-100g rear derailleur. Not sure where to start though. Which Jubilee starts at 109g? I haven't seen any. I thought they started at more like 140g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Check the wally318 thread on the jubilee. He changed out parts with ti and of course the pulleys

Stillside

by Stillside

mike wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:43 am
You will save lots with paint removal of frame and fork. At least 80 grams savings
Well yes, that's a given! :D
I've done it to many frames before, it's astounding how much paint they throw on these things. Such a pity too, when the nude carbon is far prettier than any paint job.

Stillside

by Stillside

mike wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 pm
Check the wally318 thread on the jubilee. He changed out parts with ti and of course the pulleys
Do you mean this thread? viewtopic.php?t=4421
Not much information there as to how it was done. He promised to do a full spec list and breakdown within a year ... but that was 19 years ago. So I don't think any explanation of that derailleur is forthcoming.

My RED derailleur is 129g and happily travels through all 11 gears. So a Jubilee isn't a great alternative, I don't think it will travel through them all. Like I said, I'd love a lighter alternative, but I don't know where to find a good alternative, nor what else I can do to this one. Already swapped the jockey wheels (9g for the new pair), tuned the jockey cages (yes maybe they can still lose another 2g or so), swapped all screws to either nylon or titanium, removed the complex barrel adjuster mechanism, dremeled away the outer cover w/RED logo, and landed at 129g.

I guess I could spend $1000 and save 9g with the Carbonsports mech, but that's not something I'm eager to do.

Here's my mech as it sits now. Please forgive the ugly bent cable.
Attachments
SLZ_0694.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Yea that is the thread.he used a combo of ti pins and surface rear derailleur parts.

Stillside

by Stillside

So I got a SuperSix hi-mod ... did the long work of sanding off all the paint ... the frame does come in lighter than my current one by about 70g ... but the SuperSix fork is heavy, and negates the savings ... and at a very odd size of 1-3/8" fork crown, not easy to find an ultralight replacement. What a waste.

C36

by C36

Stillside wrote:So I got a SuperSix hi-mod ... did the long work of sanding off all the paint ... the frame does come in lighter than my current one by about 70g ... but the SuperSix fork is heavy, and negates the savings ... and at a very odd size of 1-3/8" fork crown, not easy to find an ultralight replacement. What a waste.
The best combo is to combine it with a SSevo2 fork, way lighter.

Your fork was listed 315g what weight is your SSEvo1 to counterbalance 70g saving on the frame?
My evo1 with the lightest paint (partially clear coated) was 332g, my evo2 281g with 2 tone paint.

Stillside

by Stillside

So I don't strictly have a frame weight, as the BB cups are pressed in, but I'm guessing 70g total. They're fairly light alloy cups and ceramic bearings. If true, that gives a frame weight of 744g, fork 315g.

The SSEvo is 680g frame, 367g fork. So, in total 12g lighter.

C36

by C36

Stillside wrote:So I don't strictly have a frame weight, as the BB cups are pressed in, but I'm guessing 70g total. They're fairly light alloy cups and ceramic bearings. If true, that gives a frame weight of 744g, fork 315g.

The SSEvo is 680g frame, 367g fork. So, in total 12g lighter.
Fork is an HM stripped? That’s very heavy, actually the heaviest I record.
The SSevo2 will save 100g.

Just to avoid the obvious… the compression plug ha been removed ? Cause in this gen it’s 50g.

Stillside

by Stillside

Yes, I confirmed it was all the hi-mod gear before stripping. At least, the frame was, and the fork was matching paint. Yes, the steerer tube is totally emptied out.

Stillside

by Stillside

Any idea where I can find this 100g-savings fork?

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Stillside wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 pm
So I got a SuperSix hi-mod ... did the long work of sanding off all the paint ... the frame does come in lighter than my current one by about 70g ... but the SuperSix fork is heavy, and negates the savings ... and at a very odd size of 1-3/8" fork crown, not easy to find an ultralight replacement. What a waste.
Sounds strange to me, the fork of my 2013 super six evo hm weighed 305 gr (Steerer cut down to ca 18 cm), fork crown was common 1-1/4" size.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Your efforts have not been wasted. Get a Thm fork that has the 1 1/8 steerer to 1 3/8 crown and it will easily be 265 grams or less

C36

by C36

Stillside wrote:Yes, I confirmed it was all the hi-mod gear before stripping. At least, the frame was, and the fork was matching paint. Yes, the steerer tube is totally emptied out.
What size is the frame? I recall some frames in small size using smaller lower bearing. The synapse had a 1 3/8 lower bearing but I don’t recall the SS having one…

Edit: it’s a 1/4, not a 3/8th. Would you mind sharing a picture ?

takolino

by takolino

I've seen SSEvo2 forks pop up on ebay once in a while. They fit the evo and has an integrated crown race. I built an older nano with one and rode great. Not sure if the geo is identical for the two forks. New fork with paint weigh 296g with a 30cm steerer. I have a cut one at 268g with 23cm steerer also painted. Judging from your photos, you have a shorter steerer so maybe knock off another 10-20g plus a few more grams off for paint.
Last edited by takolino on Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com