Factor Ostro

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Giant HL100
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/recon-hl-100-2020
with this mount (the little go-pro guy on the far right). https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/recon ... mount-2020
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flmo

by flmo

Thanks, Mr.Gib. You should claim commission from Factor!

ucsfl05

by ucsfl05

This is a great review. Thank you! I am trying to decide between this exact frame and an SL8 S-works. I think Factor has more value, the comfort of the ride is something many have said, and also I have heard the SL8 is "harsh". Any updates on how this bike has treated you? Do you have the frame weight itself? thanks

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ucsfl05 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:47 am
This is a great review. Thank you! I am trying to decide between this exact frame and an SL8 S-works. I think Factor has more value, the comfort of the ride is something many have said, and also I have heard the SL8 is "harsh". Any updates on how this bike has treated you? Do you have the frame weight itself? thanks
I stand by my initial review and the update I posted. If my opinion has evolved at all, it would be in the positive direction. The bike simply never dissappoints. In particular I think it's very aero (fast) - would be nice to see some actually numbers. The comfort element remains interesting to me. Ultimately this is an aero bike with some chunky shaped tubes, a deep aero seatpost, and a monstrous fork. This leads me to suspect that the relatively comfortable ride is mostly from tires, wheels, and handlebar. I guess it doesn't matter how it got there - as long as it got there. :noidea:

The frame weight IIRC is 950gm.

Value? Neither the SL8 or the Ostro are good value. :P Comparing the two, I think the Ostro looks better, more technologically advanced than the SL8. Also less common which adds some cachet.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ucsfl05

by ucsfl05

Thanks for the reply. Sorry im still new to this- when you say frame weight that is without fork but does include seat tube, correct?
By value I meant that it includes a BB and handlebar/stem for the price, dont have to pay tax. The SL8 is 5500 +600 for the rapide cockpit.
I vibe with all your points, part of the reason my first ride was a cannondale. Where I live no one has them.
My only concern is that I want a light bike that can climb with some panache which is the only thing the SL8 has going for it compared to the VAM based on my limited research.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Weight is frame only. The Ostro is about as light as an aero bike can be. Light enough that the difference between an Ostro and any decent bike that might be lighter will be insignificant, unless of course you have some 5.xx kg full weight weenie machine in mind.

I hear you on the value. With seatpost, bottom bracket, and handlebar the Ostro represents a relatively decent value at that end of the market. If climbing performance is your major priority, then there are better choices. A climbing bike (like the new O2 VAM) with shallow wheels would perform better on the climbs. You could always put shallow lighter wheels on an Ostro, but it would look wrong, and you can't have that. The Ostro needs at least 50mm deep rims.

Yet to hear someone say they weren't happy with the Ostro. Can't say that about too many bikes. Means absolutely nothing as far as your ownership experience might be concerned, but it's better than hearing the odd complaint.