Am I weird? From disc to rimbrake..and now tubulars

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MiloAS wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 pm
On one long 5km descent in the driving rain I wore down the brake pads to the backing plate.
All too easy to do on resin pads. The solution is semi-metalic pads for bad weather. I've got four road bikes - 2 disc and 2 rim. Prefer the rim bikes except when I am braking. It would seem you can't have it all. FWIW my fifth bike - gravel - is rim brake :shock: and I love it. Don't ride it in the wet though, hate getting too dirty.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Ferry

by Ferry

I woul like to change the Zipp SL Speed 6dgr 120 mm stem (heavy to bulky to go with the frame imho) and 420 mm Specialized bars. I am thinking of the 2022 Roval Rapide aero bars (once they are available again) and an Extralite Hyperstem stealth and the CH-02 computer holder. With 70 kg and being more of a climber than a sprinter type the Zipp stem is a bit stiff. What is the consensus on the Extralite stems nowadays? I used to have one on my mountainbike no problems with that.

I think I would like to change to a 10 mm shorter stem. That's what I have on the Giant (110 mm 8 dgr. 125 drop, 72 reach 420 mm wide, geometry chart: size L stack 581 and reach 402). I would not mind a deeper position on the S Works. Could I go to a 12dgr stem (geometry chart: size 58 stack 591 reach 402) 120 mm? Is there a tool to compare the differences of the stem angle and length?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ferry

by Ferry

I have made some changes in the last couple of weeks. I have replaced the 9000 series front derailleur for a 9100 series front derailleur to match the other 9100 series components.

I did not like the Zipp stem on a Shimano bike and I felt it was a bit too long at 120 mm. At first I was considering the Extralite stem in -12 and 110 mm length but I read some remarks regarding damage to the fork steerer so in the end I picked up a S Works stem. I really like the slim lines of the Extralite and of the S Works stem. I have a framesandgears mount for the Wahoo. The handlebars were also replaced with 3T Superergo in 40 cm width (previous S Works bars at 42 cm) using a Di2 handlebar junction instead of the stem mounted Di2 junction. The handlebars are supposed to be Di2 ready but it took me a lot of time to get the y-splitter and brakecables installed.

Biggest change: I really want to try tubulars. Like I really wanted to try rimbrakes. I picked up a pair of ex Team Jumbo Visma tubular wheels cheap to try: Dura Ace C40 tubulars with Vittoria 26 mm tires. The transition of the tires to the rims have been treated with silicone sealant probably for aero purposes. I have only ridden the wheels up and down the street today. I will wait for spring and get a proper first ride. So I am going against the current: from disc brakes to rim brakes and from tubeless to tubular. Maybe not so weird afterall since I started with mountainbikes first and only got into roadbikes 7 years ago.

Last edited by Ferry on Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not at all weird!
Progress in reverse ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

C36

by C36

Not that bizarre, that allow you to have an educated opinion on multiple options and feel differences rather than “recommend what I ride”.
For years I had rim brake, disc brakes, tubetype, tubeless and tubulars all at the same time… I am back only on rim brake with few tube-type wheels and still one tubular wheelset.

Arph

by Arph

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:42 pm
my fifth bike - gravel - is rim brake :shock:
Out of topic: what bike is that ?
Last edited by Arph on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

The SL6 is perhaps one of the best bikes Specialized ever made. It's very comfortable to ride, tracks incredibly well, handles intuitively, responds instantly to acceleration and can be built up very light, plus the direct mount brakes improve brake response (vs traditional canti's) substantially.

I have been slowly migrating to disc brakes, but the SL6 is one bike that will stay in my stable for a very long time.

Here's mine. It's the Sagan version and as it sits is weighing in at 13.3 lbs. I am also running tubulars (as I do on all my bikes) and love them.
Attachments
59ED79E7-3115-4D39-81CA-7E72B5A40AA1.jpeg

C36

by C36

And I just purchased the quite rare 2022 Cosmic Ultimate Tubular. With the rear carbon hub, fully bonded spokes and 360 free hub… so you are not alone going this direction

Ferry

by Ferry

Those Cosmics look like a very nice pair of wheels (as do those Meilensteins). What made you choose the Cosmics? Have you ridden an all carbo wheel before?

C36

by C36

Ferry wrote:Those Cosmics look like a very nice pair of wheels (as do those Meilensteins). What made you choose the Cosmics? Have you ridden an all carbo wheel before?
First the opportunity to get this very last generation, the very last of its kind, newer spokes, newer hub, twice the spokes transferring torque. Updated rim profile.
I did… use LW (pre carbonsports) and ADA and once the Cosmic prototypes so that was 2005… that had features only existing on this very last model (the carbon hub and lacing pattern that never made it to production till 2022) so it was way to close the loop.

Edit: almost forgot… mechanically that’s probably the very best wheel ever designed. Super stiff laterally or tortionally, great aero, low weight… non other wheel today has all this.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

love the bike, and the rim brakes and tubulars. i won't go to disc brakes for road. calipers work just fine.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

I'm with you. I'm sick of issues with discs, not being able to fix issues, and not really being able to see or get to the problem half the time. Never had this with rim brakes.
I'm keeping one disc bike for winter and going rim brake for summer, racing etc
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

micky

by micky

C36 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:35 pm
Ferry wrote:Those Cosmics look like a very nice pair of wheels (as do those Meilensteins). What made you choose the Cosmics? Have you ridden an all carbo wheel before?
First the opportunity to get this very last generation, the very last of its kind, newer spokes, newer hub, twice the spokes transferring torque. Updated rim profile.
I did… use LW (pre carbonsports) and ADA and once the Cosmic prototypes so that was 2005… that had features only existing on this very last model (the carbon hub and lacing pattern that never made it to production till 2022) so it was way to close the loop.

Edit: almost forgot… mechanically that’s probably the very best wheel ever designed. Super stiff laterally or tortionally, great aero, low weight… non other wheel today has all this.
Did you use the mythological ADA? :shock:
How were them?

C36

by C36

micky wrote: Did you use the mythological ADA? :shock:
How were them?
Just the rear wheel, felt incredibly light for the time and very flexible. Construction was very unequal, some parts were very nicely made (the axle I recall, the FH) others no (the carbon work on the spokes or hub was soso).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

I remember back in about 98 or 99 getting a set of ADA' direct from Cees Beers and using them for about a month or so. They were the talk of everybody around because these were what the pros were riding in the big stages at the tour at the time. I dont remember them being anything special except for the wank factor.