Ryan's Portable Bike (Calfee Luna Pro with S&S Couplers)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

@MichaelK no worries, I did not take any offense, I was just curious why you asked. This bike came with a 45mm rake fork and a 72.5 HTA which is right around what I prefer on bikes. 43mm rake for 72.5 HTA is my preference but I doubt 2mm makes much difference. On the Indy Fab, that was 72.5 HTA and came with a 50mm rake fork which was strange. Handling felt off on that bike until I swapped in a 43mm rake fork.

@dlj2119 that nude finish is very pretty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

That is going to be an awesome build and perfect travel bike. What other changes are you thinking to make? Groupset?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

themidge

by themidge

nahh why'd you take off some of the graphics they looked good?? Sick bike though, crazy how much a nice build can do for slightly odd frames like a Calfee.

RyanH

by RyanH

On my to do list when I got back was to refinish the Calfee. This bike is really fantastic and one of the best riding bikes I've owned. I spent the last week removing the clear coat while playing ball with my dog. Today I did the finishing work.

After 600 grit:

Contrast of 600 grit (top tube) vs entire progression and finished with wax on the seat tube:

After 2000 grit but not compounded and waxed:

After compounding and wax:

Removed CK headset and got the bare frame weight:

Swapping over the Tune headset since it better matches the OD of the Calfee tubes:

Trying to figure out what cranks I want to put on it. I have the Praxis SRM and the THM M3 SRM available. I'll probably go THM SRM. The THM cranks are matte but I think I should polish them if I keep them on the bike. I have THM Fibula brakes coming tomorrow and if I can figure out how to polish those, that'd should round off the look for this bike.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The thms will go well with the Calfee. Looking great!!

iamraymond

by iamraymond

That’s an ENVE 2.0 fork right? Would to happen to have a photo with the crown race installed? I wonder if I’ve got mine installed correct. The LBS store who installed it said it’s as far as it goes, but I wanted to counter check with someone else.

RyanH

by RyanH

@iamraymond is it a CK crown race? They stick out below the headset which I find unappealing. I don't have a pic but if you post one up I can tell if it's correct or not.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

RyanH wrote:@iamraymond is it a CK crown race? They stick out below the headset which I find unappealing. I don't have a pic but if you post one up I can tell if it's correct or not.
It’s actually a Cane Creek crown race.

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, that looks right. Part of the reason for that is since the crown race is not split, the lip allows a puller to get below it if and when you need to remove it.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Cool thanks for your helpful input. Yeah the original race was a plastic split one so it sat flush with the bottom.

Any specific reasons for swapping from the CK to the Tune Bobo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, the head tube on the Calfee is on the thicker side so the profile of the CK headset wasn't a great match. This is super OCD stuff but the CK headset began to radius prior to the edge of the head tube. The Tune headset matches the OD of the head tube so it is a better visual match.

In addition to that, the Tune headset is about 25g lighter.

RyanH

by RyanH

My cathartic activity of late seems to be sanding things. The Praxis finish always bothered me so I decided to tackle refinishing them.

I was surprised to see that they were 3k underneath. I was expecting UD as that's what the SRAM arms are and these look nearly the same:

Progress on one arm:

Weight prior to sanding was 399g roughly so after sanding these are 386g, which isn't terrible. They're about 50g heavier than THM M3 arms but lighter than Cannondale Si arms (406g):

I need to do another pass of 1k grit then 2k then compound and wax. I have a compact SRM coming this week hopefully so I'll put that on.

micky

by micky

That 3k wave is pretty nice!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Wow they look amazing! Wouldn't have expected that!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Those praxis arms nude are fabulous

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com