Ryan's Portable Bike (Calfee Luna Pro with S&S Couplers)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I picked this up last week as it'd be nice to have a true travel bike, particularly with Haute Route coming up next month.

Here it is in current form (needs a lot of work):

I photoshopped it a bit to see what it would look like with some of the decals removed and steerer chopped, which I think makes a meaningful improvement:

I took it out for a quick spin today and it's surprisingly smooth. Handling seems to be good as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Progress

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

For those curious, frame with CK headset (partial) is 1607g and fork is 372g with 25g expander and CK crown race.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Never heard of Calfee, but this looks great. Is it full carbon?
Edit: MrCurrie schooled me so now I now ;)

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Never heard of calfee??

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

AZR3

by AZR3

Keeping the CK headset or swapping in a slammed extralite unit?

skom25

by skom25

It looks great, maybe except of that alloy tubes in the middle of frame. I love those frame reinforcements and I will say, quite classic look. One of the very few bikes which looks good with skinwall tires.

RyanH

by RyanH

AZR3 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:11 pm
Keeping the CK headset or swapping in a slammed extralite unit?
I don't use the Extralite headsets since they don't use a compression ring and eventually wear a groove into the fork. I'm waiting for a Tune Bobo headset which should pair well with the thicker tubes. The headtube transition to the top headset on the CK looks a bit goofy since there's a gap.

Calfee wasn't really on my radar before because I wasn't a fan of the looks but after today's 90 mile ride through the Santa Monica Mountains, I'm really pleased with this bike. It rides very similar to a titanium bike. It's smoother than the Litespeed and probably on par with the Indy Fab but I need to ride them back to back with the same wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if this is smoother than the Indy Fab. Super pleasant ride and descends well.

Lightweenie2

by Lightweenie2

skom25 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:23 pm
It looks great, maybe except of that alloy tubes in the middle of frame. I love those frame reinforcements and I will say, quite classic look. One of the very few bikes which looks good with skinwall tires.
Alloy tubes? Frame reinforcements? These are SS-couplers and allow you to "break" the frame into parts for more compact traveling...

skom25

by skom25

Yep, I know what is the reason for those parts.

Frame reinforcements:

Sorry, I am not native speaker. It is sometimes hard to find right word.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Gusset. They're called gussets.

Changes looking good Ryan, countdown until you change the fork? :P

RyanH

by RyanH

Why would I change the fork? I'm pretty sure it's an Enve fork.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

spartacus

by spartacus

Not sure if you have a case but check out the soft case. You can wear it as a backpack and if you stuff the outside pockets with clothes I'm fairly convinced it protects the bike better than the hard case, and it's lighter and easier to pack than the hard case. If something hits the hard case it can transfer the force directly to the axles whereas the soft one is padded and absorbs and distributes the hit. I used mine for 2 weeks in Europe and was generally thrilled with it tbh.

Oh yeah and if you use the hard case you usually have to totally deflate the tires which is a problem with tubeless, but I used the soft case and fit 32c tubeless tires without deflating them all the way.

dlj2119

by dlj2119

Love it. I picked up one of these a few months ago. Mine is raw carbon size 56 and 1558g without the headset. Came with ouzo pro fork, swapped for enve 1.0. At that weight, yours must be a 54?
Still in a work in progress and havent traveled with it...may try ratiotechnology 13s setup.

One thing that drives me a little crazy are the calfee bottle mounts.

I believe the S&S couplers are titanium.
Agreed, soft cases are nice. There are the ritchey breakaway ones and smaller S&S ones (with the backpack straps).

MichaelK

by MichaelK

RyanH wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:51 am
Why would I change the fork? I'm pretty sure it's an Enve fork.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
No offence meant. Didn't realise it was probably an Enve model. But I've never seen anybody else take such a meticulous approach to bike handling with fork dimensions and different wheelsets/tyres. Do love your input into all the various bikes you've ridden and looking forward to the feedback on this one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com