Oh No Another Basso! the BassoMaatic

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I got my BB press in so the build has begun!!! WIll have to revisit some details like the seatpost. Even just using it as is is a pain. And who thought it was cool to press BB cups in anyway? I know threads on BB's are sensitive but my feelings are more so!
I havent decided on bartape. With colors like this its a lot of pressure. I mean there is pink (does it have a tape match out there somewhere), there is teal (is it basically Celeste), or go with black (the choice of dirty gloves the world over).
Im going to run my trusty Selle Italia carbon from 1996 or 97, of course. Probably going to custom paint it. My other one is customized with a fluo green and white zebra stripe (is it green with white stripes or white with green stripes?) and it just aint gonna fly on this build so I pulled out a freshy.
More pics to come...
Attachments
20220614_190319.jpg
Spinning some Wye Oak while working
Spinning some Wye Oak while working
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Ok so I rushed through the build and got a complete bike going using what I had. Which meant stripping most parts off my trusty old steed and potentially going without a bike if something bad happened. Something bad almost always happens. While this quick build didnt go nearly as smoothly as I had hoped I did manage to get it done and rideable before I ran out of sunlight. No bartape yet. Cut the fork but not all the way down.

Impressions: Ive got a knock coming from the headset. Thank God it wasnt the BB. Will have to redo the headset (it took me 3 stops to get the stem, bars, headset where I wanted them today so not looking forward to that do-over)...but at least it aint the BB. :roll:
The geometry seems legit and I dont think im going to have any trouble dialing in the fit. Made a couple stops for saddle height adjustments (I recently moved my cleats further back too so that is playing a role in this). :D
It seems a little twitchy out of the saddle but Im not surprised. When I got into ultra endurance stuff I kinda missed the quick handling of a crit bike and this reminds me of one of those. Throw in the ease of letting go of the bars and reaching into a jersey pocket and Ive got a real good handler of a bike. :D
A couple passed me while I was adjusting my seat height and when I got going and passed them back the dude said "I love your bike." :D
The front end seems stiffer than my previous bike for sure! Which is a huge plus. :D
The BB seems stiffer too but not by much. It works. :D
I didnt get to bomb any corners but, with those shortish chainstays, I dont think its going to anything but fun. :D
Attachments
just a quick pic of a quick build after a quick ride
just a quick pic of a quick build after a quick ride
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Good ride today. Front derailuer needs fixed again. The duct tape job I did lasted a couple of weeks so...more tape?!
Im very surprised at how well this thing handles. Its a definite upgrade in all departments over my last frame (which was custom made in Italy btw).
I ordered 3 colors of bartape. I put the fluo pink on even though it doesnt match completely. Honestly what else am I going to do with fluo pink bartape? The teal stuff is gonna look better so it will go on next. I stretch my tape tight so I go through it kinda quick. I also got more black for when I get tired of looking at the pretty colors.
So, its complete for now. Im impressed and happy. Its been real fun building another bike and exactly what I needed to get my cycling bug kicking again. Ive been fortunate to race on some amazing bikes over the years but got out of competition and left the bike industry several years ago. Other career plans took over and the bike collected dust. Well, career plans changed again and now I get to ride more. Im back...I hope.
Attachments
I always peel that sticky junk off my tape. Fizik makes it easy!
I always peel that sticky junk off my tape. Fizik makes it easy!
Spinning Heavy Blanket for tonights tape session. J Mascis on drums!
Spinning Heavy Blanket for tonights tape session. J Mascis on drums!
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Congrats on joining the basso club

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:57 pm
You need to make a post. Lucendi can help with that as he built his own
I could make the conversion or provide the jig that makes the job easier and the cradle and pin perfectly aligned.

@MrCurrieinahurry that's the trophy I saved on the right. ;)

spokenwords

by spokenwords

@lucendi Im going to have a closer look at your end result and see if it will provide enough setback. I appreciate you reaching out on this!
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Been doing some adjustments here and there looking for that "magic millimeter." Feel like im really close to being dialed in. Ive switched bars for a third time. Bartape is now teal...cuz that matters!
Im having a lot of foot pain mainly on rough roads. Im going through shoes, cleat placement, and now buying some Look Keos and Speedplays to see if I can fix it. Ive been using Aerolite pedals for 10 years (training, commuting, crit racing, and ultra endurance stuff) and while not the easiest to dial in they have been great for me. Now, maybe with age and time off, I am thinking the lack of platform may be an issue. I have a love/hate relationship with this process.
I dont want to take a final pic of the bike until I got it dialed. 8)
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Both the look Keos and Speedplay work well for me. That is all I use now on the road.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

mike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:53 am
Both the look Keos and Speedplay work well for me. That is all I use now on the road.
Do you have a preferrence between the two? If so, why? Ive used both in the (way) past. In both cases it was just the best option at the time. Is there a difference under foot?
Im also a bit confused by my situation. With shoe stiffness being so good I cant understand the pedal platform being all that significant. But, who knows, Im fortunate to be able to experiment.
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

nismosr

by nismosr

spokenwords wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 am
This is gonna be challenging but I really dont want to use the supplied seatpost hardware. Ive got parts for the rear rail clamp but I cant figure out what to do with the front.
I thought the one I have was all carbon compare to the first picture .
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

spokenwords

by spokenwords

nismosr wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm
spokenwords wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 am
This is gonna be challenging but I really dont want to use the supplied seatpost hardware. Ive got parts for the rear rail clamp but I cant figure out what to do with the front.
I thought the one I have was all carbon compare to the first picture .
Realy!? Having carbon clamp hardware made would be a good idea. If it was already out there, even better.
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

A new pic from my Sunday ride.
Attachments
20220925_154856.jpg
Dont move to Austin