2022 Basso Palta 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

atomiccow wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:53 pm
Hey nismosr,

Do you know where the metal and rubber seal of the headset is supposed to go? My thought is that it should go over the upper headset bearing, which is the skinner one with the blue seals. Is it supposed to between the upper bearing's inner race and the compression part that forms the bottom of the stem spacer stack?
To be honest I don't remember, build this bike over a year ago now, i will have to open it up to find out, and I see a lot of owners having problem with their HS which I never had any issue on min, i've taking this bike on fast gravel downhill and even on single mtb track and still my HS is intact . .
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

atomiccow

by atomiccow

I put it above the upper bearing inner race, sandwiched between upper bearing's inner race and the compression part that mates to the stem spacers. It seems to be ok so far. Excluding the seal entirely seems to close the gap between the bottom stem spacer and frame tab too much, which causes the two to scrape against each other.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atomiccow

by atomiccow

sarozor wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:57 pm
The height of the upper bearing is 7mm, and the internal diameter 42mm, which makes the upper bearing seat incompatible with FSA ACR, Deda DCR and Token A BOX, since depth of the bearing seat is smaller: If one would use the Basso bearing, the ID is too large, and if one would use FSA/DEDA/Token bearing, the upper bearing face would be too high up. Deda does say in their compatibility chart* that Basso Palta from 2021 is compatible with their system, but only with an adapter which is not yet available. So with or without sanding unless you are ready to design and 3D print your own custom adapter and headset cover, no luck.

I have to say that the quality of the Basso frameset seems extremely nice, as is the looks and everything else. Too bad they are so keen on using their own headset system / forcing you to use only Basso components...

*) https://dedaelementi.com/pub/media/wysi ... il2023.pdf
Thanks for bringing this up. Ever since assembling my Palta 2, I also have had some doubts about the Paradigma headset parts. It seems the Deda part is now available:
https://dedaelementi.com/alanera-top-cover-adapters

It looks to be nicely profiled to follow the squared off shape of the Paradigma spacers.

DHG01

by DHG01

I am looking into a fast gravel bike with hidden cables. Love the Basso and the Time ADHX.

Challenge is weight - below a DA + Zipp 303 build - it come out at 8 without pedals. Yes, it could be lightened up; but not sure if either of them allow 7.2-7.5.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2obRts9xX8

nismosr

by nismosr

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:50 am
I am looking into a fast gravel bike with hidden cables. Love the Basso and the Time ADHX.

Challenge is weight - below a DA + Zipp 303 build - it come out at 8 without pedals. Yes, it could be lightened up; but not sure if either of them allow 7.2-7.5.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2obRts9xX8
DHG

aspero 5 with red xplr 1x

DHG01

by DHG01

nismosr wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:19 pm

DHG

aspero 5 with red xplr 1x
Thanks!!
The thing is I do like the Basso (and Time) - and the geometries; both 54ETT. Cervelo R5 CX could work well (but electric only shifting).

Just wonder what makes them so heavy!

arpatoz

by arpatoz

Indeed, it's challenging to reduce the weight of this bike. The frame appears to be significantly sturdier compared to other gravel bikes I've encountered. It's a robust bike, no doubt, but the design seems more suited to a swifter, perhaps lighter frame. Here's a more critical take on the bike's sturdiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN-7n9oTo1c

One aspect of the bike irks me, and I'm interested to know if other owners have encountered the same issue. Following a stem realignment, I tightened the stem bolts back to 7NM, even though the Paradigma stem specifies a 10NM torque. The issue now is that the plastic cap can't fit into the reduced gap between the stem bolts. In order to fit the plastic cap, I had to decrease the torque to 3Nm, which I believe is unsafe. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this problem. Has anyone else faced this situation? I'm considering shaving down the plastic wedge underneath the cap.

nismosr

by nismosr

arpatoz wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:22 am
Indeed, it's challenging to reduce the weight of this bike. The frame appears to be significantly sturdier compared to other gravel bikes I've encountered. It's a robust bike, no doubt, but the design seems more suited to a swifter, perhaps lighter frame. Here's a more critical take on the bike's sturdiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN-7n9oTo1c

One aspect of the bike irks me, and I'm interested to know if other owners have encountered the same issue. Following a stem realignment, I tightened the stem bolts back to 7NM, even though the Paradigma stem specifies a 10NM torque. The issue now is that the plastic cap can't fit into the reduced gap between the stem bolts. In order to fit the plastic cap, I had to decrease the torque to 3Nm, which I believe is unsafe. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this problem. Has anyone else faced this situation? I'm considering shaving down the plastic wedge underneath the cap.
not a problem on mine but before installing that plastic cap make sure the steerer tube top cap with the bolt is properly align if you notice its not circle shape.

DHG01

by DHG01

Heavier or lighter; I am about to pull the trigger on this one. Really like it. Probably Ekar (as Red AXS doesn't seem lighter - views welcome).

Just can't decide between Gold Rush or Stone Grey.

Nismor - thanks for the thread and all the pics.

benp

by benp

sarozor wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:57 am
RDY wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 pm
Could one of the owners say what the headset spec is? I'm guessing IS52 / IS52? If it's a standard bearing, third party stems and spacer stacks should be fine. Basso seem very unwilling for people to not ride their stem - which seems like a story repeated from the Diamante, which also turned off a lot of potential buyers.
I just received my new 2023 Astra frameset, and it has the same headset and Paradgima stem system as the Palta. The headset is IS52/IS52, the lower bearing is 8mm high and the upper 7mm high. My 80mm stem weighs 226 grams, and I have been trying to figure out could I use some other stem and third party headset covers with it to shave off some grams. The problem with using third party stems and spacer stacks is that there is a knob in the frame, and the headset cover has an associated groove. This is to prevent the fork rotating more than +-90 degrees. I haven't been able to find out if any of the third party systems has a similar system.

PXL_20230413_065458842.jpg
Funnily enough I have just received my 58(XL) 2023 Basso Astra frameset, and it does not feature the tab seen on yours so I am more hopefull of finding an alternative to the lead weight stem and spacers that were supplied with the frameset!

merlino

by merlino

Gorgeous bike, curious to know seatpost weight if you remember it. Has it a proprietary shape?

nismosr

by nismosr

merlino wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:01 am
Gorgeous bike, curious to know seatpost weight if you remember it. Has it a proprietary shape?
yes its proprietary and the frameset includes frame fork seatpost stem and hadlebar .

DHG01

by DHG01

merlino wrote:

Better late than never. 205 grams. This is the straight 0 offset seat post.

It does have a proprietary shape; so no easy to shave weight here or on the 300 gram stem.
Attachments
IMG_0019.jpeg

merlino

by merlino

DHG01 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 pm
merlino wrote:

It does have a proprietary shape; so no easy to shave weight here or on the 300 gram stem.
Thank you mate, hope weight is the same for the 15 offset one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

merlino wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:54 pm
DHG01 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 pm
merlino wrote:

Thank you mate, hope weight is the same for the 15 offset one...
I forgot I actually have both!

Remember it needs a special piece for carbon rails.
Attachments
IMG_0299.jpeg