2022 Basso Palta 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

kode54 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:22 pm
Nice! PA?
when are we riding lol .. upstate NY .. Mohonk and Winnewaska State Park, we part and start the ride by New Paltz NY.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

kode54

by kode54

Nice! I’ve been up by the Aqueduct trail starting from Piermont. Nice gravel trail to get to the bridge.

Ride soon!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

Mohonk is an absolute slice of gravel heaven!

dtramp

by dtramp

I just found this thread. I am looking at getting a Palta 2. Have you ridden it on the road? I am wondering how it would do as a road bike if I put road tires on it?
Also, Do you think you can put a paddle rack on the seat post if you wanted to carry some stuff?

I am in central Jersey. the There are some segments of gravel in the Sourlands. www.hellofhunterdon.com claims to have 12 segments of gravel.

I agree about Mohonk being gravel heaven. I took an old MTB with slicks there. I have the exact same picture you have on my phone. I think I was there about the time you were.

nismosr

by nismosr

dtramp wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:24 am
I just found this thread. I am looking at getting a Palta 2. Have you ridden it on the road? I am wondering how it would do as a road bike if I put road tires on it?
Also, Do you think you can put a paddle rack on the seat post if you wanted to carry some stuff?

I am in central Jersey. the There are some segments of gravel in the Sourlands. www.hellofhunterdon.com claims to have 12 segments of gravel.

I agree about Mohonk being gravel heaven. I took an old MTB with slicks there. I have the exact same picture you have on my phone. I think I was there about the time you were.
Dtramp, some of my rides consiste of 40% road and I'm on G-One RS TLR 40mm tires 20+mph easy very smooth and fast. Most of routes are Bedminster area.
although I'm close to Sourlands, I'm in Somerset if you want to check out the bike. this is Last Saturday ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7UbL53VbmQ

dtramp

by dtramp

Thanks. Nice Video. I might take you up on the offer to look at the bike. I have a few friends that ride in Bedminster. I am away this weekend, but I'll contact you if I get more serious about the bike. I am going to Italy in April and might look for a frame there. Thanks again!

Yoln

by Yoln

Love it! What's the overall weight of the build?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

nismosr

by nismosr

Yoln wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 pm
Love it! What's the overall weight of the build?
19 lbs not a weightweenie !

sarozor

by sarozor

RDY wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 pm
Could one of the owners say what the headset spec is? I'm guessing IS52 / IS52? If it's a standard bearing, third party stems and spacer stacks should be fine. Basso seem very unwilling for people to not ride their stem - which seems like a story repeated from the Diamante, which also turned off a lot of potential buyers.
I just received my new 2023 Astra frameset, and it has the same headset and Paradgima stem system as the Palta. The headset is IS52/IS52, the lower bearing is 8mm high and the upper 7mm high. My 80mm stem weighs 226 grams, and I have been trying to figure out could I use some other stem and third party headset covers with it to shave off some grams. The problem with using third party stems and spacer stacks is that there is a knob in the frame, and the headset cover has an associated groove. This is to prevent the fork rotating more than +-90 degrees. I haven't been able to find out if any of the third party systems has a similar system.
PXL_20230413_065458842.jpg

RDY

by RDY

sarozor wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:57 am
RDY wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 pm
Could one of the owners say what the headset spec is? I'm guessing IS52 / IS52? If it's a standard bearing, third party stems and spacer stacks should be fine. Basso seem very unwilling for people to not ride their stem - which seems like a story repeated from the Diamante, which also turned off a lot of potential buyers.
I just received my new 2023 Astra frameset, and it has the same headset and Paradgima stem system as the Palta. The headset is IS52/IS52, the lower bearing is 8mm high and the upper 7mm high. My 80mm stem weighs 226 grams, and I have been trying to figure out could I use some other stem and third party headset covers with it to shave off some grams. The problem with using third party stems and spacer stacks is that there is a knob in the frame, and the headset cover has an associated groove. This is to prevent the fork rotating more than +-90 degrees. I haven't been able to find out if any of the third party systems has a similar system.

PXL_20230413_065458842.jpg
None that I know of. You could just sand that tab off. Basso would have a hard time denying you warranty unless your frame cracked either there or due to your bars smacking the frame, in which case you'd obviously be SOOL. If you're really worried about over-rotation in a crash, put a bit of foam on the end of the bar, or thin layer at the frame contact point; if cables get pulled out due to a crash due to over-rotation, then it's not the worst thing if you crashed. Or cut a small slot in the headset cover you intend to use.

Maddie

by Maddie

RDY wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:06 pm
You could just sand that tab off. Basso would have a hard time denying you warranty unless your frame cracked either there or due to your bars smacking the frame, in which case you'd obviously be SOOL.
They certainly wouldn't have a hard time. You modify the frame: warranty void. Simple as that.

sarozor

by sarozor

The height of the upper bearing is 7mm, and the internal diameter 42mm, which makes the upper bearing seat incompatible with FSA ACR, Deda DCR and Token A BOX, since depth of the bearing seat is smaller: If one would use the Basso bearing, the ID is too large, and if one would use FSA/DEDA/Token bearing, the upper bearing face would be too high up. Deda does say in their compatibility chart* that Basso Palta from 2021 is compatible with their system, but only with an adapter which is not yet available. So with or without sanding unless you are ready to design and 3D print your own custom adapter and headset cover, no luck.

I have to say that the quality of the Basso frameset seems extremely nice, as is the looks and everything else. Too bad they are so keen on using their own headset system / forcing you to use only Basso components...

*) https://dedaelementi.com/pub/media/wysi ... il2023.pdf

RDY

by RDY

Maddie wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:42 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:06 pm
You could just sand that tab off. Basso would have a hard time denying you warranty unless your frame cracked either there or due to your bars smacking the frame, in which case you'd obviously be SOOL.
They certainly wouldn't have a hard time. You modify the frame: warranty void. Simple as that.
It wouldn't affect the statutory 2 year guarantee in the EU for example. If there was a failure after modification, they'd have to prove that the modification caused or contributed to the failure if they wanted to deny it. Similar legislation exists in a lot of other countries.

Plus they'd look incredibly bad if say the seat tube cracks and they refuse replacement because you sanded off an over rotation tab.

Maddie

by Maddie

An almost new motorcycle of a friend caught fire JRA, resulting in a total loss. Insurance established a failed o-ring on the injector that caused a fuel leak. This was not an isolated case BTW. But the manufacturer wanted to check the bike too and found that a power commander was installed by the owner. Guess what, you think the manufacturer covered the cost of the damage? No. They said engine management was modified, sorry. Buddy spent a middle four digit sum on lawyers to establish that there is no connection between the o-ring and the power commander, no chance. Happened in Germany.

Basso could argue that the tab is part of the structural integrity of the frame and if you remove it, they can't guarantee the integrity anymore. You may think that it is easy to win such a battle against a manufacturer. But good luck if you need lawyers against a manufacturer.

atomiccow

by atomiccow

Hey nismosr,

Do you know where the metal and rubber seal of the headset is supposed to go? My thought is that it should go over the upper headset bearing, which is the skinner one with the blue seals. Is it supposed to between the upper bearing's inner race and the compression part that forms the bottom of the stem spacer stack?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com