Ex-AG2R Izalco Max 6,55kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ogu

by ogu

Just bought this bike for cheap. It's an ex-Team AG2R izalco max from the 2014 season. I was looking for a 52 but 54 is okay for me i think. Maybe a bit too long.

It's full SR EPS V2, with a heavy alloy finishing kit and saddle.
First things, i swapped the handlebars for some 38cm, the saddle for a speedneedle and put on my arundel mandibles.
Bartape is not installed yet as i was dialing the hood positioning. It's around 6,55kg in this setup.

* means i used weights found online

These are the planned upgrades : haven't bought anything yet so feel free to give your opinion. I dont want to buy anything too exotic. Just drop some weight where it's easy and maybe get a cool wheelset.

Soon, i may remove the paint. First i am not a fan of this billboard style livery and second it will be lighter!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

While I agree the paint weight saving, it's a pity as it's a genuine ex team bike.
But everyone is free to do what he/she wants!

ogu

by ogu

@micky

Yeah but it's not like it was Bardet's bike. It's Julian Kern second bike, he didnt race in the TDF or in anything that major. Weight savings are not the main reason, the paintjob is a bit too much for me so i want to go plain...
I will think about it!

reedplayer

by reedplayer

micky wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:43 pm
While I agree the paint weight saving, it's a pity as it's a genuine ex team bike.
But everyone is free to do what he/she wants!
+1!

just my 2 cents: 704 gr. is already vey light, even for an Izalco max. I would not expect too much weight saving by removing the paint!

regards,
Last edited by reedplayer on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

It looks great now, and its reassuring than not everyone aspires to the latest trekdaleworks

LouisN

by LouisN

Great deal (jealous !!) !
And also a nice sobre design, easy to adapt to newer trends.

Louis :)

micky

by micky

ogu wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:50 am
@micky

Yeah but it's not like it was Bardet's bike. It's Julian Kern second bike, he didnt race in the TDF or in anything that major. Weight savings are not the main reason, the paintjob is a bit too much for me so i want to go plain...
I will think about it!
For sure you had a great deal with the price and I remember someone did an awesome color choice on their Focus repaint few months back.
You might be able to find the topic here.

Yoln

by Yoln

Dont paint it! You'll love that paint a bit more everyday!

This bike has a story, but stripping that paint will turn it into any random Chinese frame...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Yoln wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:50 am

This bike has a story, but stripping that paint will turn it into any random Chinese frame...
oh, thats going a little too far, imho. ;-)

666pounder

by 666pounder

I also like the paint scheme.. if you keep other things simple, it will be good

ogu

by ogu

Thank you all for your comments !

Dont worry for the paint, I will not strip it as of yet, as it takes a lot of time and i'm too busy these days to do it. Maybe i'll like it in the end!

First few modifications came in.

The stupid carbon super record fd cage was a bit damaged and i was scared it would snap while riding so i bought a 'mal functionning' record eps fd, with the metal cage.

I swapped it this morning. It's way easier to swap on the eps than on the mechanical version as there is no spring. The weight penalty is 3 grams, but it will be solid and reliable.

For those wondering, the rest of the fd is the same between record and SR.

fd new weight (w/ bolts) : 134g

I ordered a chinese straight seat post and the infamous 80-ish grams aliexpress saddle to replace the speedneedle (i dont like it that much...).

I also replaced a broken spoke on the rear wheel and put on brand new hoods.

- Is the ea90 stem any good ?
i havent found any review on the easton ea90 stem. I like it for the computer mount thats looks cool. It weights more than the kalloy but the mount is 12g...

- Somebody knows yuanan wheels ?
i want a pair of carbon clincher because i miss my 404's. My budget is tight. I want to give a try to 'yuanan' wheels. They are the OEM for elite wheels i think and they seem to know what they are doing.

- I will put on my 3D+/Srm crank after i find a pair of 170mm crank arms. The sale of the super record crankset will give me a bit of money to improve the bike

The weight will go lower eventually but i am sort of keeping my money as i am restoring a range rover classic at the same time...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I've been running the Easton EA90 stem for more than a decade now as I wanted a long 10 degrees stem. I cracked one (side of head tube) 130 mm, and now I have a 120 mm on the bike it's been running strong for 3-4 years. The 130 was a very light edition. My actual 120 is a bit more beefy.
Pro Vibe 7S SKY Edition would compliment the frame well.
Louis :)