Klaster_1's Specialized Aethos S-Works (4.99kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hot.I am not the biggest fan of the Aethos, due to the uncommon frame shape, but you made it look very consistent.

The frame-weight of course is amazing, as well as your build.

Regards,

(PS: Good luck wit the Lupina!;-) )

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

A couple of days ago the battery failed again, almost for the same reason as the last time - multiple wire contact loss. My setup uses the stock flat cable, which has limited flexibility in certain directions. Nothing a soldering iron can't solve. When reproducing the modification, make sure to fix the battery firmly in place or connect the batteries in a rattle resisting manner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Had the same issue with mine. Fully charged and stopped working. Pulled the battery out of the handlebars and voila! the flat metal wire was broken off the battery where it was bent and spot welded. Resoldered with regular stranded copper wire and taped the wire to the battery so there is no movement at the solder joint. Taped the module end too.

arcadia

by arcadia

"Hello, is this the Specialized tech department?
-Yes
-Hi, I wanted to order one of your brand new ADMRBRCF, Aethos Direct Mount Rim Brake Raw Carbon Frame...
-But we don't produce that frame, you know now the business line is disc brake frame, rim brake is over now, also, raw carbon is not appealing for general customers, we made a market suvey and people tend to want colored fr...
-Shuut up and take my money, that would be the holy grail for weight winnies, 800g Frame kit combo...so, now, do it !"

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

arcadia wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 pm
-Shuut up and take my money, that would be the holy grail for weight winnies, 800g Frame kit combo...so, now, do it !"
https://www.extralite.com/Products/SCR-058.htm

arcadia

by arcadia

missing integrated brake cable and direct mount, but this is good, light and carbon finish is sweet.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Extralite is the same as WR Compositi Valcava but without the painted finish. They are extremly recullent to do even basic gloss finish :(
If they would be willing to make it gloss with little gold / silver logo i will be on the waiting list already ;-)
arcadia wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm
missing integrated brake cable and direct mount, but this is good, light and carbon finish is sweet.

Nixster

by Nixster

Fantastic weight 👍
I see you have the IX2 stem. I am thinking of that with my Haero bars but not sure if I can get them through the bar clamping part of the stem. Could you please tell me the dimensions of the tops on the Darimo bars, I’m guessing that will be the widest part?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Nixster wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 pm
I see you have the IX2 stem. I am thinking of that with my Haero bars but not sure if I can get them through the bar clamping part of the stem. Could you please tell me the dimensions of the tops on the Darimo bars, I’m guessing that will be the widest part?
The tops are 25mm tall and 32mm wide.

Nixster

by Nixster

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:11 am
Nixster wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 pm
The tops are 25mm tall and 32mm wide.
Many thanks 👍

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

Anyone know the exactly modelo no. for the aethos Headset bearing lower? thank you

frostorama

by frostorama

Part no: S202500012

Spare parts from Specialized:
https://support.specialized.com/aethos/ ... ment-parts

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

HDS RD19100102-ASY,COMPRESSION RING,UPPER 41.8X30.5X8X45 for this one correct model is FSA MR042R rigth??
HB BEARING,LOWER 49.5X40.5X6.5 STD BEARING so the correct model is acb495h6.5, rigth? ??

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Anyone had issues with the offset Alpinist seatpost lock unscrewing every other ride? Obviously, I didn't read the instructions, just torqued the tension bolt to about the max recommended value for Lupina. I guess a drop of blue thread lock should help.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Figured I'd share some small updates.

The first gen Hyperspacer disintegrated just I suspected it would and I didn't have newer revisions of the same length, so I put a stock Aethos spacer on, which is slightly heavier. Second gen Hyperspacers have been fine, will order a third gen when I'm able to.

A while ago, the coin cell battery died inside my 4.3g Cycplus C2 cadence sensor. I was lazy, instead of finding spare stock sticky tape patches in the parts box I just used whatever regular double sided tape I had at home. It didn't hold for long and the sensor fell off, never to be found again. Took off a heavier - 9.3g - Magene S3+ off the other bike, making the Aethos heavier.

The custom hoods I made a while ago started fraying around edges. Initially, I decided to put some liquid resin on, but laziness prevailed again and I went with a couple pieces of Tesa cloth tape. Maybe I'll fix it properly later.

With a straight seatpost on FM079, I always had the saddle slammed all the way back, which didn't look good. Did the same with Alpinist, I can really feel the difference. Had to move the seatpost 1.5cm down, otherwise my knees didn't agree with the position - makes sense geometry wise. Means I can order a shorter Darimo T2 15mm, might even go with a narrower adjustment range, never picked this option before. Perhaps my stem is too short, and my drops preference compensates the lack of reach. My torso is longer than for other people of the same height.

You might have noticed the bike has an out front mount, but I didn't put the computer into the build list, unlike before with a Cateye. That's because I use a Pixel 4a, a DIY Garmin mount case and IPBike. Great combo, the charge depletes at about 11% an hour with the display always on, enough for all my rides. Had to bolt on a Garmin adapter from an Ali mount, the cheap glue on adapter held lose in the stock Darimo one. To be pedantic, the case belongs to the parts list, but hey 😏 All the holes, except for the speaker (for music when Aftershokz drain), are taped over to protect from water ingress.
IMG_20220710_152217.jpg
IMG_20220710_152226.jpg
PXL_20220710_122302225.jpg
Overall, the bike has been rock solid and I don't regret the purchase. Should be good enough for the next 8 years 😁

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com