Ryan's Mystery Indy Fab

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Cycling Avenue can't seem to be bothered to provide any useful measurements so this frame is going to be like a box of chocolates. My only quibble is that they put the cable entry port on the drive side Image

Other than that, it's pretty close to what I've been looking for: barely sloping top tube, small tubes and PF30 bb.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

God I haven't seen a frame with an external Di2 battery mount in forever.

How many IFs is this now?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Di2 hole thingy reminds me. I know you were gonna get di2/eps holes drilled on one of the LS Classics you had. Did you have success with that?
I'm pretty happy with mechanical setup. Hoping I can get used to the thumb shift and stop clicking twice while sprinting instead of once. But if I can't, I was lowkey considering eps.

If hole drilling is not a viable solution on ti though I think I'd just pass and hope to get used to the mechanical thumb shift.

caballero

by caballero

Have you given up on the aethos/crux and disc on the road and sticking with rim brake going forward ?

RyanH

by RyanH

This will be Indy Fab #2. Hopefully I'll like it more than the Crown Jewel steel.

@gurk700 depending on how smooth brain you are, you'll get used to it. Shifting and sprinting on Campy mech is the one weakspot though cause it's pretty damn hard to reach the thumb shifter in the drops. Also, Ti cycles said he could do it on the Classic, I can't remember the price though.

@caballero The Aethos is staying, Crux is not needed (since I'm not doing dirt and Aethos can fit 34mm). I've just finally realized that I don't need to be a cheap ass and pawn anything extra of value, so I'm now going down the path of becoming a hoarder.

gurk700

by gurk700

RyanH wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:08 am
@gurk700 depending on how smooth brain you are, you'll get used to it. Shifting and sprinting on Campy mech is the one weakspot though cause it's pretty damn hard to reach the thumb shifter in the drops. Also, Ti cycles said he could do it on the Classic, I can't remember the price though.
It's not about getting used to how it works. I got that down pretty much in the first 15 mins.
Problem is, while on a full sprint, it's hard to shift just one gear up instead of grabbing a whole bunch of thumbshift all at once. Hard to reach as you mentioned and once reached, hard to be push it soft enough for just one upshift. I think I read somewhere that the lower end mechanical campy's don't have the double upshift option at all. That might be a way to go too I guess.

RyanH

by RyanH

I asked Bahati about this since he rides Campy and he said that if you're shifting in a sprint you're probably doing it wrong.

spartacus

by spartacus

RyanH wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:46 am
I asked Bahati about this since he rides Campy and he said that if you're shifting in a sprint you're probably doing it wrong.
Now THAT's a hot take!

gurk700

by gurk700

RyanH wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:46 am
If I was doing anything right I wouldn't be on this forum :lol:

kode54

by kode54

RyanH wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:08 am
This will be Indy Fab #2. Hopefully I'll like it more than the Crown Jewel steel.

@caballero The Aethos is staying, Crux is not needed (since I'm not doing dirt and Aethos can fit 34mm). I've just finally realized that I don't need to be a cheap ass and pawn anything extra of value, so I'm now going down the path of becoming a hoarder.
Are you having David retrofit the 3D printed titanium Reynolds flat mount w drop out?
He did that for my Guru. Came out great. if you go that route, make sure you increase the distance of the brake bridge. I had him spread the seat stays, weld new chain stays and put the disc thru axle in...but forgot to check the brake bridge AFTER I built the bike up. Had to tear it down and send the frame back.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

I took some rough measurements yesterday and it looks like stack is around 535 and reach is 380. So, in line with my other bikes. The CK upper is tall though so I may replace that with a lower stack option depending on where the bars end up.

Frame weight isn't too shabby:

renoracing

by renoracing

Dang this thing ticks a bunch of the boxes... Love that it's electronic shifting only. I'm assuming that it was built when Di2 was relatively new, hence the bolts on the downtube for a battery?
I'm guessing you've thrown a wheel in there to see what kinda tire clearance you've got?

RyanH

by RyanH

Haven't gotten to test clearance yet other than a quick eyeball with 28mm tubs which it cleared with room to spare.

Got these in from Fair wheel today, a set of Hed Belgium R laced 24x to Carbon Ti hubs. 1457g with rim tape. A little porkier than expected but these should be a nice set of alloy wheels to run with great brake feel.

RyanH

by RyanH

Measured the clearance on 28.5mm actual tires, it's 3mm DS, 4mm NDS and 6mm brake bridge. Also mocked the bike up and it looks like I'll be able to get 10cm of drop:

spartacus

by spartacus

hot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com