Ryan's Mystery Indy Fab

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Beautiful bike there @RyanH!
Btw is that a Ti or Steel IF? Sorry if it's been mentioned earlier..

Cheers!

spartacus

by spartacus

RyanH wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:12 pm
Shout out to Tony at Fair wheel ( @madcow ) for the awesome wheels. Having a premium set of alloy wheels is so nice, braking is perfectly smooth with zero noise.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Agreed on the alloys, the bike looks "100"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Very nice

RyanH

by RyanH

maverick_1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:30 am
Beautiful bike there @RyanH!
Btw is that a Ti or Steel IF? Sorry if it's been mentioned earlier..

Cheers!
It's titanium

LouisN

by LouisN

And total weight....below 7 :) ?

Louis :)

RyanH

by RyanH

LouisN wrote:And total weight....below 7 :) ?

Louis :)
Unfortunately not, it's a tad fat at 7.2kg. I put some tubs on it to get it below 7kg though:

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

DHG01

by DHG01

Wow! Great build.
Very impressive 1.45 kg for the frame, including headset and derailleur hanger.

Nixster

by Nixster

Another great looking Ti bike :thumbup:
How does it ride compared to the Aethos? Does the skinny head tube mean the handling is not as sharp?

RyanH

by RyanH

@Nixster

I was quite surprised that the 34mm head tube was not noticeably less stiff. Try to discern any difference between this bike and the T3 is like splitting hairs as far as stiffness goes which is quite surprising to me. The tubes are much smaller on diameter all around except possibly the chainstays. @pdlpsher1 messaged me awhile bike and said that chainstays determined stiffness which I thought couldn't be right but maybe it is after all?

Also, the bike came with a 72.5* HTA with a 50mm fork for a trail of 56mm. That wasn't to my liking as it felt a tad too nervous on straight descents. I swapped it with a Tube Bobo headset and a 43mm rake Enve Fork. The stack dropped by close to a cm which puts total drop around 11cm which is perfect for me. Plus, with the lower rake fork and trail around 63mm (maybe 61 since HTA slightly got steeper) the handling is perfect.

I need to put more miles on the bike as I've only gotten 60 or so this week on the new fork but this might be my new favorite bike. Not that it'll replace the T3 but the extra tire clearance and close to traditional geo checks a few more boxes.

Nixster

by Nixster

@Ryanh
Yeah I guess dropping the stack and increasing the trail would both benefit front end stability, getting more weight on the front. Tapered versus straight steerers is probably overplayed as benefitting steering accuracy.

I have heard that too Ti bikes BB stiffness being about the chain stays and I think there’s something in it. In practice all 3 tubes must be contributing to a degree but while down and seat tubes are oversized versus steel for example the chain stays are not vastly so. Take into account Ti being typically half as stiff as steel and it starts to make sense.

RyanH

by RyanH

Back to 11s

*Yes, tape will be going on, just ran out of time

gurk700

by gurk700

Matchy matchy crank - group makes me feel better about this. Kinda ashamed to admit that :oops:

taitoh

by taitoh

Beautiful build.

How are you getting on with the bike?

I almost bought this exact bike frame from a seller on pinkbike before he sold it CyclingAvenue.com. (I ended up with a Ti Indy Fab with S&S Couplers and travel box)

The seller page has the original build specs from Indy Fab: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3155865/

Thought you might like it for future reference if you hadn't already seen this.