2022 Crux S-Works 52

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Frisco

by Frisco

My new 52 crux frame came in at 788.8g with the frame protectors and stickers. Parts will mostly transfer from my open mold gravel frame, but I need to figure how to use my EC90 crank or if I need to go to GRX. I’m hoping to have it built up within a couple weeks.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Frisco wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 am
I need to figure how to use my EC90 crank or if I need to go to GRX
You definitely can use it, Easton even make a BSA BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frisco

by Frisco

I test fit with wheelsmfg BB and 46/30 EC90, and it’s tight but clears the chainstay. I measured a 4mm gap between the teeth and chainstay, but the crank arms were biased towards the NDS so it’s probably closer to 5-6mm. I ordered a 1.8mm spacer to move the chain out but it seems like I can make this work without too much fuss.

Frisco

by Frisco

The crank seems to fit fine with the standard cinch road spindle and 2x 1.8Mm spacers. Ignore the tire - that’s the 700x50 GKSK that I had from my old gravel bike and it was removed

Frisco

by Frisco

The bike has been assembled and has been ridden a couple times. I weenied out a bit weighing some parts during part of the assembly, but a couple things were transferred from my last bike assembled that I didn’t bother to weigh. I guess it’s somewhere in the range of 7.5-8.0kg but didn’t weigh the full bike yet. I will post the list later.

I currently have an old pair of 38 GK SK+ on it but might try a pair of Terra Speeds that I ordered. But my wheels are hookless and risk of incompatibility is something I didn’t consider and need to understand better.

I will probably replace the stem but want to confirm my fit. I also have a 180mm front rotor on order from galfer. The cage down at the BB was removed because the chain didn’t actually clear it.

Frisco

by Frisco

Picked up Alpinist barstem and some LB 650b wheels:

Alpinist 44x110:

LB AM730 30mm internal DT240 cx ray and brass nipples:

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Interesting with the Alpinist bar for gravel. Haven't seen anyone doing that before, curious to how it holds up and would love a review once you have had the time to test it properly :)

bmCube

by bmCube

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:41 am
Interesting with the Alpinist bar for gravel. Haven't seen anyone doing that before, curious to how it holds up and would love a review once you have had the time to test it properly :)
I have the alpinist bar and seatpost on my gravel bike. No problems......

Frisco

by Frisco

I’ll report back if anything breaks.

I just switched the 700 wheels to 33 strada bianca to try as road tires. They were a real hassle to install, and not sure I’d buy them again.

Frisco

by Frisco

And here’s the 650b x 47 for comparison

Matte86

by Matte86

Hi!
I’m building up my Crux and I enjoyed reading your posts.
Really interested in your opinions on the Alpinist bar/stem as it’s what I’m planning to mount..how do you feel it on the gravel? and on the fit side? I ask as fitter said 400 bar if going with a gravel handlebar route..but as I’m between 40 and 42 if I go with the alpinist I’m not sure which size..
Thanks

Frisco

by Frisco

Matte86 wrote:Hi!
I’m building up my Crux and I enjoyed reading your posts.
Really interested in your opinions on the Alpinist bar/stem as it’s what I’m planning to mount..how do you feel it on the gravel? and on the fit side? I ask as fitter said 400 bar if going with a gravel handlebar route..but as I’m between 40 and 42 if I go with the alpinist I’m not sure which size..
Thanks
I took this bike to a fitter, and they were really road oriented and said either 42 or 44 would fit me. My shoulders measured 38 during the fit. I have 42 Enve road bars on my road bike, and that’s what the fitter suggested for road use. I had tried both 40 and 44 flared bars on my older gravel frame before the fit, and I liked the wider hoods off road. I had 44 Enve gravel bars on this bike going into the fit, but using the flared drops got old because it was not comfortable. I picked Alpinist basically because there aren’t too many options for barstem that I liked. The Alpinist feels good both in hoods and drops.

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks for the detailed reply!
More thorn on which measures though ahha
Thanks

Rodigan

by Rodigan

Frisco wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:51 am
I’ll report back if anything breaks.

I just switched the 700 wheels to 33 strada bianca to try as road tires. They were a real hassle to install, and not sure I’d buy them again.
Pro tip for mounting Challenge tyres: spray disk brake cleaner on the rim where you're trying to get the bead over, it helps it slide right on. I went from a 30 minute swearing fest on the first wheel to 2 minutes on the second and face-palmed in regret at not knowing this sooner. Hope it helps!

cpark

by cpark

So what is the weight of the bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com