Bike #30: S-Works Aethos (not midget sized)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

caballero

by caballero

Looking forward to your impressions on these. Have been thinking of a set of these recently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I got a solid 90 mile ride in the Santa Monica Mountains today. They're solid, exactly what a wheel should be. I'll have a proper feel for them after a few hundred but I did plenty of fast descending and technical descending and it handled everything with aplomb. We dealt with some cross winds today and they were very stable.

Also, they look great in person. For $2100 shipped with DT 180 hubs, I feel like these are quite the deal compared to the major brands.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

RyanH wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:24 am
I got a solid 90 mile ride in the Santa Monica Mountains today. They're solid, exactly what a wheel should be. I'll have a proper feel for them after a few hundred but I did plenty of fast descending and technical descending and it handled everything with aplomb. We dealt with some cross winds today and they were very stable.

Also, they look great in person. For $2100 shipped with DT 180 hubs, I feel like these are quite the deal compared to the major brands.

Have you managed to get some miles on the Aethos at all in the meantime? I wonder whether your silence on the matter is a good or a bad thing. :lol:

RyanH

by RyanH

@robeambro the Aethos is one of the best bikes I've ridden. My only complaint about it, other than the very sloping top tube which doesn't bother me as much now is that it's disc. I can't seem to get the rotor positioned so that it never rubs out of the saddle. Regardless, its a fantastic bike and being able to run 33mm actual tires makes it great for weekday cruises on the crap pavement.

Also, ordered this for the Aethos:

gSporco

by gSporco

RyanH wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 pm
@robeambro the Aethos is one of the best bikes I've ridden. My only complaint about it, other than the very sloping top tube which doesn't bother me as much now is that it's disc. I can't seem to get the rotor positioned so that it never rubs out of the saddle. Regardless, its a fantastic bike and being able to run 33mm actual tires makes it great for weekday cruises on the crap pavement.

Stupid question @RyanH.. is rotor rub while riding do to a flexy fork or is it the hub/ wheel? I ask because I dont get rub on my Aethos while riding, but my new gravel bike using the same wheels as the Aethos for testing rubs in a sprint or out of the saddle hard creasting a climb..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

robeambro

by robeambro

RyanH wrote:

Weird, I've never had rotor rub when out of saddle on mine (weirdly enough, only my SL6 did that). You still using AFS rotors? Wonder whether their very slightly fatter size and your probably rather high power numbers are a great match for rubbing. :lol:

When looking at it I don't mind the sloping top tube of mine at all, but it always looks horrible in pictures.

kode54

by kode54

Its probably because you aren't riding or trying 35mm tires on your Aethos.

At least that's my takeaway based on the blue painters tape, 35mm Panaracer tires and MCFK 35 wheels.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

nick12

by nick12

RyanH wrote:I got a solid 90 mile ride in the Santa Monica Mountains today. They're solid, exactly what a wheel should be. I'll have a proper feel for them after a few hundred but I did plenty of fast descending and technical descending and it handled everything with aplomb. We dealt with some cross winds today and they were very stable.

Any more feedback on the MCFK wheels? I took a look at them and seems to be very good value for money. I’m torn between some WTO 45’s and doing a 35f and 45r MCFK set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Which frame color is that? Looks beautiful.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

RyanH

by RyanH

nick12 wrote: Any more feedback on the MCFK wheels? I took a look at them and seems to be very good value for money. I’m torn between some WTO 45’s and doing a 35f and 45r MCFK set.

I haven't spent that many miles on them but I'm fairly confident my early impressions are accurate, they're a great wheel and look stunning in person. Would recommend.

DHG01

by DHG01

RyanH wrote:

Would it be right to assume the bike is as stiff as you need? Lightweight frame does not impact performance?

RyanH

by RyanH

@DHG01 Everyone is different and expects bikes to feel differently but my personal take on it is that a frame's stiffness should not be noticeable. I've ridden bikes like the Tarmac SL4 (or 5 or 3?) where it felt like you had a steel beam between the pedals that was unyielding and I've ridden bikes where you noticed them flex when sprinting. I want my equipment to disappear under me and stiffness on either end of the spectrum does not do that. My Litespeed, the Indy Fab and the Aethos all do that. I cannot perceive a stiffness difference between the 3 frames without trying to split hairs.

DHG01

by DHG01

Just wanted to confirm weigh didn't come at the expense of stiffness.
Makes a ton of sense - thanks.

liam7020

by liam7020

Hi Ryan, stunning bike. What colour is that Aethos frame - is it what Spesh call Cool Grey/Chameleon Eyris Tint/Brushed Chrome? Ain't that a mouthful, light blue might have sufficed! Is that the one? Ta.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

RyanH wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 am
nick12 wrote: Any more feedback on the MCFK wheels? I took a look at them and seems to be very good value for money. I’m torn between some WTO 45’s and doing a 35f and 45r MCFK set.

I haven't spent that many miles on them but I'm fairly confident my early impressions are accurate, they're a great wheel and look stunning in person. Would recommend.
Hi Ryan,
Is this Cool Grey/Chameleon Eyris Tint/Brushed Chrome?
It looks so good!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com