Gravel(ish) Crux

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

whinefields

by whinefields

Inspired by quite a few lightweight gravel builds -- RyanH's Crux and RyanW's Open U.P.P.E.R in particular -- and bored of riding on the same roads, I decided to build up my first gravel bike. I started with the brand new Crux and slowly started purchasing the parts. In truth, that process took a bit longer than I expected. Some of that is due to the global pandemic, no doubt, but a lot of that is due to my indecision. With so many choices out there, it's hard to know which one to choose. But eventually, I landed on my build list and started purchasing the parts. I'm still waiting for the final few items, but those should be arriving by tomorrow. I plan to take everything over to my local bike shop this weekend and have them start building it up. Once it's finished, I'll post the build with weights and parts. But for now, here's what I've received so far.

The base is an S-Works Crux in what Specialized calls Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust. The size is 56.

I run SRAM on my other two bikes but I didn't want to build this up with a 1x, so for the Crux I'm going with a mix of Dura-Ace and GRX. The crankset is a 48/31 Power2Max Gravel NG with EC90 crankarms.

Figure Dura-Ace has been weighed to death so I'll skip those and post the GRX derailleurs.

For rotors I'm using XT RT-MT800 centerlock disc rotors. One in 140, one in 160.

I went back and forth between using an 11-34 cassette (which is the max my derailleur can handle) and an 11-32. Ultimately, the weight of the 34 turned me off. So I went with an Omni Racer 11-32.

For wheels, I just ripped off RyanW and built up a pair of MCFK gravel rims. Pretty pleased with the weight including rimtape and valves.

For a final few items, I'm running a Darimo stem and handlebar combo up front and using a Berk Dila padded in back. The stem is 100 and the bars are a 42.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Quality build! Looking forward to seeing the final product.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

centaur4608

by centaur4608

Nice selection of parts ...
Hope to see the final result quickly.

whinefields

by whinefields

Ask and ye shall receive.

I just got the bike back from the shop. Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. The weight came in at 6.7kg, which is not too shabby for a gravel bike. I thought it might come in slightly lower than Ryan's Open but I guess the 2x adds a lot more weight than a single setup. I also don't know how much sealant was added to the tires. I'll add the full build list below.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Mine came in at 6.69kg even with a chonky 326g cassette and 295g rear mech ;)

Love this bike though, best one I've seen and now got me itching...

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Super clean looking bike, Nicely done.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Beautiful bike, pics and mic dropping weight, especially with a 2X and wide tires (I assume those are the RH EL Snoqualmie Pass). I have a somewhat similar GRX 2X build in the same size, but am at 7.3 kg. Looking forward to the full build list, though I think I have come up with most of the weight diff from the stem/bar, cassette, saddle, and wheels.

Interested to hear how the Omni Racer cassette shifts and also if there is an out front computer mount you will use with the Darimo. Thanks for sharing.

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

That's indeed a very classy build!

But there is no change to run the Ultegra STIs wireless with the GRX Di2 components, right?

whinefields

by whinefields

Here's the full build list. Weights coming shortly.

Frame: S-Works Crux in Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust 56
Seatpost: Roval Alpinist Carbon Seatpost
Seat: Berk Dila Padded
Stem: Darimo Carbon stem IX2 100mm
Bar: Darimo Carbon Ellipse 420mm
Bartape: Zipp Service Course CX
Rotors: Shimano XT RT-MT800 Centerlock Disc Rotor
Front derailleur: Shimano GRX FD-RX815-F
Rear derailleur: Shimano GRX RD-RX815
Crankset: Power2Max Gravel NG Easton w/ EC90 SL Cranks
Bottom Bracket: Kogel BSA Bottom Bracket
Chainrings: 2x Rotor Chainring 48/31
Chain: XTR/Dura-Ace CN-HG901
Shifters: Dura-Ace 9170
Cassette: Omni Racer 11-32
Rims: MCFK Gravel Disc 35 mm
Hubs: DT Swiss 180 Road Straightpull Center Lock Hubs
Spokes: SAPIM Spoke CX Ray bladed black
Tires: 700C x 44 Snoqualmie Pass EL
Pedals: XPEDO M-Force 8 Ti
Garmin mounts: Alpitude Stelvio x Darimo IX4 (on its way)

whinefields

by whinefields

cycleboyco wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:33 am
Beautiful bike, pics and mic dropping weight, especially with a 2X and wide tires (I assume those are the RH EL Snoqualmie Pass). I have a somewhat similar GRX 2X build in the same size, but am at 7.3 kg. Looking forward to the full build list, though I think I have come up with most of the weight diff from the stem/bar, cassette, saddle, and wheels.

Interested to hear how the Omni Racer cassette shifts and also if there is an out front computer mount you will use with the Darimo. Thanks for sharing.
Correct on the tires! What size is your bike? And did you go with the P2M power meter/crankset combo?

So far, no complaints using the Omni Racer. It definitely gets a little loud the closer I get to cross-chaining but that's probably to be expected. Shifting wise, it feels flawless. I thought I might've missed having a 34 as my largest cog but honestly, the gearing feels great. I plan on hitting some serious gravel trails these next few weeks so we'll see if my opinion changes.

The computer mount is the actually the one thing I'm still waiting for. I purchased an Alpitude mount but it's taking forever to ship Stateside.

whinefields

by whinefields

ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:23 pm
Mine came in at 6.69kg even with a chonky 326g cassette and 295g rear mech ;)

Love this bike though, best one I've seen and now got me itching...
Very jealous of your weight! I truly thought I was going to come in around 6.5/6.6. Does a 2x really add that much more weight?

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

Very jealous of your weight! I truly thought I was going to come in around 6.5/6.6. Does a 2x really add that much more weight?
[/quote]
Well i guess at the very least it adds the 130gram of the front mech pictured here, plus an extra di2 wire, the weight of the inner ring and larger big ring so i guess it probably amounts to around 200gram all in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Took a while but I got there...

Riding tomorrow to play about with stack height.

-100g pedals going on when back from warranty, then see what I can do about getting it under 6.5kg :thumbup:

54cm frame was 740g naked, apart from thick chainstay protector and down tube shield sticker.
Attachments
80DFBECA-3EC0-44FD-BC22-04A7FB7F12FB.jpeg