Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod (Ex EF Team Bike)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

vneilv

by vneilv

Hey everyone,

another Cannondale project incoming, this time it's one of these:

2020-SuperSix-1-1024x683.jpg
2020 Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod which is an ex team bike from EF.

Over the last 12 months I have ridden my SystemSix and have preferred this on most rides, even hilly ones. Everyone tells me that the newest SuperSix is the best all round bike so here we are.

Plan is to strip it down to pretty much a frameset and then build it up with a mix of spare parts, 11 speed eTap and some deeper wheels.

Hopefully pick up a Darimo post, not sure on bars yet as I have a hyperstem that I might use but I've really come to like the aero bars on my Systemsix.

Suggestions for lightweight aero bars please, currently looking at the SL70 and the Aeroflux.

What am I expecting weight wise for the 56cm Hi-Mod frame?
Last edited by vneilv on Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vneilv

by vneilv

It also means that a bike has to go unfortunately which is probably going to be my 2015 Supersix Nano as this will donate most of the parts.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Curious, which are the "most parts" you're referring to?
Other than saddle, and crankset there isn't much else you could transfer between your rim brake Cannondale and the new disc brake one?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

vneilv

by vneilv

Will move across bars, stem, seat, cranks, pedals, front mech, rear mech, chain, cassette, tyres most likely.

vneilv

by vneilv

IMG_1634.jpg
Well here it is in all it's glory!

Havent weighed it as a complete bike, already started to strip it down so will start off with frame / fork weight and take it from there.

Some Di2 / Shimano related questions though...

1. How do I get the battery out of the seatpost? I thought I could just plug the cable in and then use that to pull it out but that only pushes the battery further in.

2. The Di2 cables inside the frame, whats the easiest way I can get them out? There is a junction port thing built into the downtube, do I pull all the cables out through there?

3. Disconnecting the calipers / shifters. Whats the best way to do this without getting the hydro oil all over me?

4. Finally, once all the Shimano stuff is removed, can I connect it all up and test that it's working before I sell it?

Thanks!

vneilv

by vneilv

Well that was a fun afternoon. I have no idea whatsoever why you would bother with Di2, such a hassle uninstalling it from a frame.

Anyways, here we are. Frame & fork stripped down ready to be built up again.

IMG_1690.jpeg
Frame weight is 941g. Thats with all grommets, bolts, seat clamp, mech hanger removed. Only thing extra in there is the FSA Ceramic BB. Internet suggests it weighs anywhere between 50-150g so lets say 100g and call the frame 841g. I'm not going to remove it.

IMG_1692.jpeg
Fork is cut so the stem is pretty much right on the bearing, this is with no steerer bung etc. Comes in at 380g.

IMG_1691.jpeg
Will gather up all the small bits, did a order today for the spares needed (non direct mech hanger, etap grommets, etap downtube plate) so will weigh all of those together when they arrive.
Last edited by vneilv on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vneilv

by vneilv

small parts.jpg
Ok so here are all the small parts weighed.

Mech hanger, seat binder, etap grommets, bb cable guide (not actually needed but leaves the bb quite exposed so will leave it on), downtube port cover, 5 x bottle cage bolts. Two are these are specific to the carbonworks cage, I will look into replacing all of these will something nicer down the line.

ukracer

by ukracer

subscribed

vneilv

by vneilv

So little update, been busy selling all my old bits to fund the new stuff I need. Will be a slow burner as I collect the new parts over the next couple of months.

And now a new segment I will call 'Welcome to the trials and tribulations of buying a bike thats fit for someone else'.

The bike came fitted with an FSA stem and an 8mm spacer under the stem, nothing above the stem.

The FSA stem looked like it has a little bit more stack than the Extralite going on the bike so thought everything would be great...

IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg
Yeah that steerer is way too short, the FSA stem has some sort of shim in it and the steerer bung extended the top of the fork by a couple of mm but theres no way I could run the bike like that.

Ok so how do we reduce the stack height, lets lose that spacer for starters! Theres a chap in the UK that makes these 2mm tall bearing covers so picked up one of them from him. This should help a lot.

IMG_2023.jpg
The compression ring in the top of the headset seemed a bit too tall as well so I found a shorter one on ebay.

IMG_2022.jpg
Lets see how it is now:

IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg
Much better, the minimum insertion mark on the stem is now below the top edge of the steerer. An additional bonus is that this setup saves a bit of weight. 87g as it came, 60g with this set up.

IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg

Dubaiwheeler

by Dubaiwheeler

Hi, can I ask if you have a link or similar to the guy that does the lower stack dust covers? I've had one from 'Slamthatstem' previously and that's on my CAAD10. I have the same FSA dust cover as yours on another bike and wondered who I could get one from. Thanks.

vneilv

by vneilv

Dubaiwheeler wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am
Hi, can I ask if you have a link or similar to the guy that does the lower stack dust covers? I've had one from 'Slamthatstem' previously and that's on my CAAD10. I have the same FSA dust cover as yours on another bike and wondered who I could get one from. Thanks.
Hey mate, its this guy: https://grafixbyjorj.co.uk

Thanks

Neil

Dubaiwheeler

by Dubaiwheeler

Perfect! Thank you.

vneilv

by vneilv

Not much of an update, still waiting on a bunch of parts to arrive.

Finally found some Hydro Sram shifters which is a massive win.

Wheels are Hunt 44 UD, these will arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Have also ordered a Darimo seatpost, they gave a 4 to 5 week turnaround.

I picked up a SRAM bleed kit as well, figure that now 75% of my bikes have discs I should probably learn how to fit and bleed them myself.

vneilv

by vneilv

FullSizeRender.jpg
This arrived yesterday!

Really really impressed with the service from Darimo. They were prompt to reply via email, it took 9 days from payment to it arriving at my door even though they quoted me 4-5 weeks and it's come in lighter than quoted as well.

Wheels also arrived during the week, now waiting for the bars to come into stock and I can get building.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vneilv

by vneilv

frame update.jpg

A little progress update.

Hoses went through the frame a lot easier than I thought they would but realised I didn't have the bolts to connect the rear caliper so have ordered those (it's currently taped to the frame).

Feels a bit clunky rotating the steerer, one way feels smooth like on my systemsix but the other way feels like it's hitting the hose about 75% through the rotation. Anyone who has built up a supersix had issues with this? Is there a preferred routing for the hoses? The rear hose is coming through the LHS of the head tube i think.

Other things of note - Sram front mech is fouling on the spiderring at an angle, this is most likely due to the size of the wedge on the back of the mech as this came directly from my 2015 supersix. I will have a look around my toolbox to find the other wedges.

Rotors, cassette and tyres are on the wheels ready to go on the bike, a friend sent me some of that tent seam sealer to use on my gumwall tyres to stop them getting dirty (an old cyclocross trick apparently) so I'm waiting on those to dry.

Got fed up of waiting for the bars to come into stock so ordered them from Spain. Hopefully wont get stung on customs.