English Gravel Build *Arrived*

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Still need to cable it up but is hanging on the stand. Being my 3rd English everything is as expected. Geometry is spot on and everything is where it needs to be. For the cable routing he has the stops wide open in case I go hydraulic, he machined mechanical cable stop inserts for those ports. Also machined a little bit out of the BB, nice little detail. Added a few grams by adding Xpel Ultimate 10 paint protection film on the underside of the BB and DT. Just a little protection for the tube. I do this with all my bikes.

My only issue was with the front fork. The Juin Tech calipers are designed to only accept 160mm rotors, same with the fork 160 only. So when you pair them together the caliper sits too high over a 160mm rotor. A 180mm rotor would fix this. For now ill be using a pair of TRP Spyre calipers.

1736g for the frame
348g for the Open Uturn fork
Paint is Ford Cyber Orange. Really pops in the sunlight, entire different color.

Shift cables exit the small center hole. Will be using jagwire link inner liners. The port is for the rear brake cable.

Geometry is pretty much set. Just waiting on a couple of tubes I believe. The frame will have a stainless headtube, seat tube, BB, dropouts, all braze on's and cable stops. Pretty much all surfaces that will see component contact will be stainless. Currently have a Trek checkpoint that I will swap parts over from. The goal was to build a road bike with room for 38s. The bike will be used for gravel but the gravel bike always comes with me when I travel for work and pleasure. It will see plenty of dedicated road duty and group rides.

The build so far includes:
Frame: English steel/stainless, 44mm downtube, syntace x12 dropouts, mechanical
Fork: Open U Turn
Headset: Extralite Ultratop 44HD upper / Ultrabottom 44T
Seatpost clamp: Tune Schraubwurger 30.0
Seatpost: Darimo T1 Loop 300mm
Saddle: Trusty Williams Cycling SLC+
Stem: Extralite Hyper Stealth 100 x 6 degrees
Expander: Extralite Ultrastar
Bar: Easton EC90slx3. 42cm
Bartape: Deda Elementi Traforato black
Bottle cages and hardware: Arundel Mandible/alloy bolts
Brake Cables: Jagwire pro compressionless
Derr Cables: Jagwire link
Brakes: Juintech F1
Shifters: SRAM Red 10 speed new style.......yes I'm still running 10 speed
Front derailleur: SRAM Red Yaw
Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 22 long cage
Crankset: SRAM Red GXP w/ stages arm
Bottom Bracket: Wheels Manufacturing T47 outboard angular contact
Chainrings: Extralite 50/34
Chainring bolts: black alloy
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cassette: 11/32 SRAM XG-1090
Wheels: Far Sports 35 deep x 28 wide
hubs: Novatec D411 D412 SP Disc hub, Straight pull, 6-bolt
Spokes: CX Ray
Pedals: Speedplay Pave w/ Ti spindles

Will get weights once the build begins and start to swap parts over. The seatpost might change to a Darimo, $300+ to save 25g or so eh. The crankset could also change to a Red BB30 exogram with stages arm, saves around 91g vs the GXP with stages. Again $$.
Last edited by nickf on Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nickf

by nickf

Will update as parts arrive.

Wish this thing was not so porky. This is the BB I'm stuck with using my existing GXP Red crank w/stages arm. As an option, I could also go T47 inset with an exogram crank and stages arm, which would save around 91g total. But that's a lot of expense for 91g. Not as picky with my gravel bike as I am with my road bikes.

My normal bar is 40cm but figured I would give a 42cm a try, a little wider for gravel/dirt.

Last edited by nickf on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Looking forward to this one.
I wonder where/how English sources tubes; they don't look like the standard avialable on the Columbus /Reynolds catalogue.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

nice.. always like an English bike (my size too)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

nickf

by nickf

DHG01 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:36 am
Looking forward to this one.
I wonder where/how English sources tubes; they don't look like the standard avialable on the Columbus /Reynolds catalogue.
I know on my other builds he does use some off-the-shelf tubes from the big catalog brands, but he does a lot of shaping to them. On this build he will be using a 44mm Columbus downtube, I think the top tube is Columbus spirit, the seat tube will be KVA stainless.

nickf

by nickf

Well underway.

nickf

by nickf

Off to paint. Internal mechanical cable routing. Rear brake and derailleur exit under the BB.

nickf

by nickf

More parts arrived. Seatpost only took around 3 weeks to arrive after payment was made. They quoted 8 weeks, they must be back at it full speed.

I have some Juin tech calipers now but they are red. Red won't match.

gcartelli

by gcartelli

Gorgeous frame, excited to see it finished!

nickf

by nickf

Figured I would try something new. Unfortunately, these rotors come in at 78g each 160mm, not the stamped 71g.

Starbike has them on a scale at 69g each. Might be my cheap scale who knows.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nickf wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Figured I would try something new. Unfortunately, these rotors come in at 78g each 160mm, not the stamped 71g.
That's quite the difference, mine was 72.39g (same as regular ARO-09), but I bought it back in 2018. Looks cool, though.

nickf

by nickf

Sent the Wheels Manufacturing BB to Rob to see if he could trim it down a bit. Saved 42g. Way more than I thought it would have been. Ill be running it just like this without the center sleeve.

Before

After

nickf

by nickf

Gotta change up the lower headset cup. The Extralite lower doesn't have enough skirt on the cup to cover the integrated race on the U-turn fork. Going to go with a cane creek aer lower, only a 5g weight penalty. Still going to use the ultratop hd, with the stack height on it being next to nothing it won't look out of place with the aer lower.

Little sneak peak of the color.

nickf

by nickf

The first ride went well. I gotta say it rides so much smoother than the Checkpoint SL, also handling is much improved. More of a road bike but with clearance for 40c tires. Exactly what I was going for. ALso going with a braze-on front der tab was a good decision. Setup was a breeze. Parlee clamp no more. As it sits it comes in right at 7.7kg, minus the edge 1030 and rear radar. Also, some extra weight using innertubes for now. With the new wheels, tubeless, it should be around 7.4kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

WOW! The fact that you kept it mechanical is simply amazing!
I love Rob's work! His bikes ride so good!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite