Colnago V3Rs 50s RCRD Frozen

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

What a great touch up. Please share the name of the person that did the work stateside.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

@jmagoulas, the shop that did this phenomenal paint repair is TW Carbon out of Kirkwood, Missouri. Amazing that they were able to replicate the intricate paint pattern of the Frozen Red. And reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

fogman

by fogman

I got the idea to use a double layer of clear bra paint protection film in the vulnerable areas to prevent this from happening again. The stuff I used is 14 mil thick, so 28 mil in the areas with two layers. I’m not a professional installer so it is not perfect, but it will do for now.

dj97223

by dj97223

Shouldn't you apply some on top of the chain stay as well?
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

fogman

by fogman

There is a clear chainstay protector on the top. It is more difficult to see, maybe due to the angle in which the photograph was taken. But it is there.

milanv

by milanv

fogman wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:25 am
Before and after. I am very pleased with the paint repair. Can’t tell it was ever touched up.

Strange that I experienced the same paint damage with my V3RS Frozen White colour. I don't know, how it happened until now.
Nice repair :thumbup:

fogman

by fogman

I believe the Frozen paint job is a more delicate paint with less adhesion to the primer. Flakes off easier. Looks nice when new, but not durable enough for everyday use. Or is it just me?

simbikotic

by simbikotic

fogman wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:10 pm
I believe the Frozen paint job is a more delicate paint with less adhesion to the primer. Flakes off easier. Looks nice when new, but not durable enough for everyday use. Or is it just me?

Oh no! Curious how that happened? Crash? Lean agaist a wall and slip? Seems like an unusual location for those types of scrape...

fogman

by fogman

I think it was damaged while transporting on a 1UP bike rack on the back of my vehicle inside a Velosock bike cover. The inside zipper of the cover coincidentally matches up with where the paint was abraded.

I was using the Velosock to protect my frame, and instead it damaged my frame. I still think the paint is fragile and/or the clear coat is too thin.

fogman

by fogman

I was able to replace my paint damaged V3Rs frame with a new V4Rs. Moved all the parts over except the stem and handlebar, which were not compatible with the V4Rs. Went from a colorful Frozen Red paint job, to a more stealthy Matte Black paint job.

Konsi

by Konsi

fogman wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:10 pm

There is a reason why these paintjobs are no longer in offer ;)