Rejuvenated Scott Foil Mk. I

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

neeb

by neeb

Three years ago I was swiped by a car on my beloved Scott Foil Mk. I Team Issue. Hit front-side-on, a couple of cracked ribs, a separated shoulder, a totalled front fork and front wheel. Although the damage to the Bora looks minor I was advised it wasn't reparable, and the frame was written-off for insurance purposes.

The impact had all been to the fork and wheel and the frame itself seemed undamaged however, and I'd always loved the way the bike rode. I managed to get a new fork from Scott and also had the frame modified to take electronic groups by Carbon Bike Repair in the UK.

Rode the bike for a few months but was getting bored of the now-slightly-dated look and felt it deserved a refresh. I've no interest in disc brakes and figured that with some decent modern wheels and components the frame could still be a match for anything, despite being a 2011 design and purchased in 2013..

So I had it resprayed by Kustomflow - the design was partially inspired by Sagan's teal-flake Venge of 2 or 3 years ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Here it is. Bora WTO 60s, Campy Record EPS 11sp, P2M NG, EE El Fuego brakes, Enve Aero Stem, Prime Primavera bars. The saddle is the same last-generation Specialized Toupe Pro which I managed to dye black rather successully with Kaps penetrating dye (tried to find a used black one on ebay for months without success!).

It's about 20g under 7kg as pictured (nothing special, but this isn't my light bike).

stanvr

by stanvr

Nice ride! Was dying the saddle hard? And does it last or wear, does it shed to your bibs? I've a saddle that I've wanted black for a while too, so I hope this does the trick:)

neeb

by neeb

stanvr wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 am
Nice ride! Was dying the saddle hard? And does it last or wear, does it shed to your bibs? I've a saddle that I've wanted black for a while too, so I hope this does the trick:)
It wasn't too hard and worked much better than I expected it to.

Too early to tell how well it lasts, but no sign yet of shedding to bibs (although they are also black, so it would be difficult to tell.. :wink: ). Once it's dry it seems very stable / inert, although I haven't been out in a downpour yet..

This is the stuff I used: http://www.kaps.com.pl/en,leather-penet ... ye,49.html

It's designed for leather shoes, jackets etc. so I assume it must be fairly waterproof..

There was a tiny bit of streaking visible after the first coat, but the second completely sorted that. I suspect that success would depend on the material of the saddle though - it works on grained artificial leather of the type I have on my old Toupe, but I wonder if it might not work so well on a completely smooth plastic covering (as seems to be more common these days).

It's important to thoroughly clean/prepare the surface with alcohol or acetone first. I used acetone, which is probably better, but you have to be careful not to overdo it as it will eventually dissolve the covering.. There was some gloss detailing on the original saddle that acted as a bit of a barrier to the dye, although I scrubbed most of that off and 2 or 3 coats sorted it..

I touched up the indented logos with gloss white emulsion paint, wiping off the excess with alcohol.

If I look very closely now, after four or five rides, I can maybe detect just the tiniest sign of the black wearing off in some places (or I could be imagining it), but if the worst comes to the worst it would be a 1 minute job to paint some more of the dye over any bits that wore white again..

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Interesting that you have no interest in disc brakes (which I can understand... for road bikes) yet still chose an electronic groupset.
Interesting green/orange colour scheme. :o
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

neeb

by neeb

Yup - I'm no luddite, I just think that discs are misapplied on pure road bikes. In fact, what makes me saddest about the apparent total move to discs is that there will be no more development of frame and wheel technology for rim brake bikes. Until the industry evetually sees sense, at least.. :wink:

I like electronic shifting, but could equally well live without it. I love being able to shift several sprockets at once (especially going to larger sprockets) just by gently holding down the shift button.

I think the green and orange kind of works... others may disagree.. :D

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Wow that looks great, and the 1st edition Foil is still the best one. I did the same with my 2013 Foil - respray @Etoe in Germany last September. Closed all holes because I ride Sram eTap. Now ready for another 8 years I guess.

neeb

by neeb

PinaRene wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:05 pm
Wow that looks great, and the 1st edition Foil is still the best one. I did the same with my 2013 Foil - respray @Etoe in Germany last September. Closed all holes because I ride Sram eTap. Now ready for another 8 years I guess.
Thanks, yes, I saw yours too - looks brilliant.

Seems to me that there was more diversity in carbon frame design 10 years ago - the era of the original Bianchi Oltre, original Orbea Orca etc. And the Foil loses nothing to modern bikes in performance really (well, maybe a handful of aero watts).

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Wow, this is really nice. The paint job looks great and I like the whole idea of 'refurbishment' rather than replacing. Very well done :thumbup:

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

That looks so awesome, great job.

Always had a soft spot for those old Foils.....
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Love customized bikes :) tbh it's really what I enjoy most these days as getting light bits just takes cash but a vision and ideas that come to life is awsome :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

neeb

by neeb

Thanks for all of the positive comments!

One thing that doesn't come out in the photos very well is that there is a flake in the paint - I'll need to try to get a good pic of that in the right light...

SEDK

by SEDK

Really good looking foil!

I have the same, 2013 Team edition Foil - I’ve been thinking to replace it several times, but I have yet to try a bike which is a significant upgrade to the foil in terms of feel and handling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

That's a thing of beauty - you got me thinking...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com