Basso diamanté super record eps 12 2021.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ok this headset expander and top cap are going to have to get changed out as this is pretty darn heavy 50gs! Lots of options thinking either the carbon ti or scmolke TLO options so that will be a nice 35 gram saving.

Then currently using the super dependable Campy skewers But I'm tempted by something lighter.... (This is we after all) but am a massive hater of creaks.

I'm tempted to try a set of the wiggle ti skewers as they are only 20 quid and 42 grams and seem to be a lot of these similar looking skewers floating about tbh would prefer just all black if possible rather than logos but any advice other options welcomed ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Hate to say it but I always loved that specialized expander. Clean, longer and 28 grams or so without top cap.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

After speaking with a couple of weight weenies I trust think I'll go down the extralite route... A little concerned about the hollow bolt however as assuming crap will enter my frame.... ImageImageImageImage

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I feel like a broken record saying this, but unless you're like 50kg skip the cheap light skewers. I'd be very surprised if you could generate enough clamping force to stop the wheel floating around in the drop out.

You seem to be on the right track with the clamp IMO. You can also fish around the site to see which "stock" seatposts have light cradles and pinch a cradle from one of those seatposts? IIRC 3T, KCNC and Hylix posts seem to come with lightish cradles.

Also Ti bolts for stem, cable entry ports, computer mount etc etc?

Last but not least, if you're using a super light expander plug make sure there's plenty of surface area for the stem+steerer interface. I'd personally get a Deda 70mm expander or something similar. That way it's weight neutral vs stock but you have 70mm of support which should make weightweenie alloy stems safer. Think it's less of an issue for carbon stems as they don't ususally have a hollowed out hole contacting the steerer.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea I get that re the skewers just the weight savings are so tempting Image but 100% of the clamping force is crap I'm not interested. Was looking at the carbon sports skewers as they have steel axles so figure they should clamp better. Also heard good reports on kcnc skewers too from a far stronger weight weenie than myself...

I've got an intergrated bar stem combo so it's clamps the whole way round the steerer so thinking it's pretty safe to go light in this area.. still undecided between one of the carbon ti/schmolke/ultrastar offerings.. but purchasing them now to UK with postage attached makes them all quite pricey.

Will defo look at bolts as well in some areas. This defo won't end up being a 6kilo bike but I've always liked saving weight where performance isn't hindered.

Cradle wise think this smud fits the bill just need to check dimensions etc.

bmCube

by bmCube

carboncycles.cc also have lower craddles in carbon.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Should clarify: don't buy light + cheap skewers... I'm going to assume the light + expensive ones actually generate a bit of clamping force! I guess it also depends how tolerant the drop outs on your bike are too.

Good to hear re stem. I'd personally go for the Carbon-Ti expander if I had to go light but that's heavier than the extralite one.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

That's what I'm hoping with the skewers.. also it's the sort of WW part that can be passed on to various bikes in the future.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I ran 33g Tune Skewers for 2 years on my Scott Addict without a single issue. I was 107kg.

I've also ran the generic Lifeline / MtZoom skewers above which are circa 44g without issue. The clamping force required to hold a wheel in the dropouts is tiny.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Why did you stop using the tunes?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Bought a disc brake bike. Still had them until a few months back and put them on a mates SL6.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Haha you could see where my line of questioning was heading

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:55 am
Bought a disc brake bike. Still had them until a few months back and put them on a mates SL6.
What are you using for lightweight TA on the disc bike. I have a Colnago V2R disc and wondering if there is an alternative lighter reliable TA.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

istigatrice

by istigatrice

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:31 am
The clamping force required to hold a wheel in the dropouts is tiny.
If you're smooth on the power and your dropouts accept a little movement probably, but there's some well documented cases of dropout wear. I'm not that heavy but I've pulled a wheel plenty of times at the track which suggests to me there may be (tiny) movement at that interface which is just not noticed by the rider (due to vertical drop outs). However rinse and repeat over many ks and you may experience wear in that region.

But who am I to critique these products? This is weightweenies and in 2021 bikes are disposable!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Well this is WW.. always like winter time for doing some little tuning for the summer best bike ImageImageImage