Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon w/ Power2Max crank @ 9.1 kg (Gravelbike)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

trikobe

by trikobe

Any chance you have any photos of the 2.2 race king tire clearance of the front fork and rear triangle?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

trikobe wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:56 pm
Any chance you have any photos of the 2.2 race king tire clearance of the front fork and rear triangle?
Sorry, I don't have these pictures.
I would take some, but currently running 700x42 until spring 2022.

What I can tell you: clearance more than sufficient for my body weight and tire pressure. But would not allow fenders.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Current setup.

9.6 kg incl. the top tube bag and 11-40 tooth Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Had both mechanical shifting STIs fail over time. One started leaking mineral oil around the brake hose connection and therefore lost brake point over time. Needed constant refill of mineral oil every 200-300km.
The other started developing a crack in the plastic around the metal clamp.

I took the plunge and switched to electronic shifting Di2.

Shifting is 100% with 11-40 XT cassette and 46/30 chainring.

Also the Shimano EW-WU111 wireless unit for displaying current gears on Garmin headunit and switching training pages with the extra STI buttons are very convenient.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Very nice! I also have a Diverge Comp in the same size and colorway. It's a great bike! I also have a pair of 650B wheels with 40mm Terra Speed tires and the tire/rim combination makes the bike feel more playful and agile.

May I ask how's the shifting from the 30T to the 46T? I have Di2 GRX on my road bike and I recently got the NG Eco PM with 48/31 rings. Shifting from the 31T to 48T was horrendous. 50% of the time the chain would grind against the 48T before it catches. With the stock Shimano GRX crank the chain catches the shift pins immediately 90% of the time. 10% of the time it'll catch just after a short crank rotation. The difference between the GRX crank and the Rotor-made 48/31 was night and day. I discussed this with P2M and they admitted that the 48/31 Rotor rings are finicky to setup. But no matter what adjustments I made the shifting quality is never close to the GRX crank. I never tried it on my Diverge Comp with the mechanical GRX derailleurs as I don't have the proper BB needed to fit the crank. Sadly I had to return the PM. I know you have the 46/30 rings and perhaps the 16T gap helps. But I'm just disappointed in the performance of the Rotor rings. The GRX 48/31 shifted perfectly on both the Di2 GRX and the mechcanical GRX on my Diverge. Thanks.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Hey pdlpsher1, you're right, it really is a great bike.

Initially, I bought the completely-built Comp Carbon as a bad weather bike, but going on all kinds of surfaces is so much fun... and it totally got out of control from there. Now only the the frame and fork survived from how it left the shop ;)

I did not run into the same front shifting issues.
If I did, I would've done the same as you and ditched it. Cannot bother with unreliable front shifting.

I've run the 48/31 chainrings for around 5.500km and the 46/30 for around 8.000 km.
I'm even running them in combination with unsupported 11-40 XT CS-M8000 cassette, which exceeds the Shimano-approved capacity by 5 teeth for 46/30 chainrings.

The front derailleur shifts from small to big ring quickly and without issues, both on 46/30 as well as 48/31.

Chain lengths at 114 links + Quicklink for 46/30 and 116 links + Quicklink for 48/31.

Setting up the FD with Rotor chainrings I did not do anything different comp. to any other Shimano gruppo.

Sorry about the problems you had with the front shifting on the P2M. The power meter unit is bomb-proof, reliable and battery life is superb. Truly a "set it and forget it" unit.

Did you put another power meter on your Diverge?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the detailed report. I assume the shifting is superb whether it’s mechanical or Di2? One would think Di2 is superior but I’m stumped not being able to get it to work on the Di2. I was so disappointed. There’s definitely something wrong with the chainrings I got. It just doesn’t want to catch the chain for some reason.

I don’t have a PM on the Diverge. I have a GRX Stages PM on my road bike. The plan was to move the Stages to the Diverge. After owning two Quarqs I dislike the Stages. Hence me getting the P2M. Quarq has no options for 48/31 chainrings. I like accurate power data but I’m unwilling to trade shifting quality for it.

I have pre-ordered a Dura Ace 9200 group and I’ll be putting it on my road bike with the GRX crank. Now keeping my fingers crossed that the new 12-speed FD will play nicely with the GRX crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Yes, shifting is flawless with both mechanical or Di2. But Di2 is even smoother and in the front I really like the automatic trimming of the front derailleur (moving together with the rear derailleur position to avoid chain rub at the front cage).

Yourt

by Yourt

Nice setup... so how is the data coming in from that PM? Is that ok, and is it worth it? On my Giant TCR I have an integrated PM and it works flawless... but that's not the bike I tend to use offroad of course. I'm just wandering if it would be worth the money and extra weight. I'm at 8,6 kg now and with heavier tyres on lighter wheels with a lighter cassette I expect to add some 100 grams. It's not all about weight, I know, but I do prefer my bikes to be light, responsive and fast rolling. There's no money spent that I can't feel on (or off) the road. I had a Rotor on my Cervélo S5 (I sold that one, on my TCR I ride the same times... a bit slower on the really nice rolling stretches and a bit faster on less smooth undergrounds). I'm just not sure what to do for my gravelbike...

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Thanks Yourt.

Of all the power meters I have on my bikes (Quarq DZero XX1 Eagle, S-Works Power Cranks, Stages left-sided, Powertap P1 pedals) the Power2Max NG (and Quarq) are the most reliable. I've had the best experiences with spider-based power meters.
Now after ~13.000km and lots of mud, dust, snow, rain and flying rocks and pebbles, there are quite some dents and scratches in the cranks from pedal strikes or from leaning into the curves too much.

No connection drop outs during rides whatsoever, no calibration needed at the start or during rides.
The battery life is rated at 150 hours. I've never run out of charge, I just charge it whenever I charge the Di2 battery (every ~3 months).

Accuracy of +/- 1% and consistency - as far as I can tell - are great for my training purposes.
(Obviously, I'm not DC Rainmaker running five power meters at the same time and comparing in between them.)

What I sure do notice: when I switch between road bike and gravel bike and wear different shoes.
E.g. on my gravel bike during winter, I wear heavy MTB winter shoes with thick, insulated insoles and use SPD-pedals. For the same rated perceived exertion (say 8 out of 10 effort for 10 min), I do not put out the same wattage numbers as say on my Tarmac with carbon cranks, Shimano S-Phyre road shoes with stiff carbon sole and custom insoles on fat SPD-SL pedaling platform.
Although you can try to have the same bike fit on all bikes (although this might not make sense, since the riding style can be very different), slight variations in bike fit will also play a role.

Additionally, there are inconsistencies in between power meters and the location they are measuring power output.
300W on your road bike might feel different to what your gravel bike power meter communicates as 300W.
So don't expect to get 1:1 matching power numbers when switching between multiple bikes.

Weight-wise, the 46/30 chainrings are at 153g, the cranks and spider at 579g.
732g sure is relatively heavy, even with small 46/30 chainrings.
If there was the option for P2M NG Gravel with carbon cranks with some added protection on the crank's ends (e.g. like with Sram XX1 carbon cranks), I'd surely go for that option.

P2M Support is knowledgeable and helpful also whenever you have any questions or issues.

200g heavier with power data vs. weight saving without power data: I'd 100% put on the P2M.

To answer your question: the data is great and worth it.
The P2M is a workhorse that "just works".

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The NG Eco PM that I had to return back to P2M was relatively light. But like you said the chainrings were quite heavy at 168g., as they are machined as a single piece from a billet. The Rotor Carbon Addhu crankarms are beautiful and light (249g.) However I've read one report here on WW that his developed hairline cracks around the pedal thread insert. I don't know if Rotor is aware of it and have since fixed the issue. When it comes to weight savings there's no free lunch.

The MTB version of the Rotor Aldhu Carbon cranks come with rubber protectors. The cranks themselves are identical AFAIK.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Hey pdlpsher1,

thanks for the details & pictures.
I was not aware of the Rotor Aldhu Carbon crankarms, they look great.

But I think they are for 30mm spindle only?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You’re welcome. Yes, 30mm only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxima

by maxima

Dear Cycling Community:- Can I check if a existing Power2Max spider with Adlu rotor 3D 24mm spline can be swap to ADLU Carbon 30mm spline crank ARM? Any Help appreciated :thumbup:

ODC

by ODC

Hey!

I saw in your opening post that you have a 0mm setback Roval Alpinist seatpost? Where did you buy this or how did you achieved this with the stock seatpost?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com