Synapse Winter Bike - (sub 7kg without mudguards / fenders)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Having discovered full length mudguards / fenders this winter I decided to buy a dedicated winter bike (with eyelets) and to dedicate my Hakka gravel bike to off-road duties.

The base for the build is a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, which I am targeting to drop as much weight as possible from my ‘parts bin’ other than Ultregra Di2 which I will take off my Hakka and change over to the 105.

I haven’t been able to source a verified weight for the frameset so am not sure how close I can get to 7kg with fenders but will give it a go!

Picture of Bike as picked up yesterday,although I have already changed the saddle and seatpost (and yes the saddle is not set flat, the front Ti bolt I was using ran out of thread!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beancouter on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My fender bike is a Synapse. Perfect for wet road training. I haven't focused on weight mostly because, well, it has fenders so it can only get so light. Also, I want super reliable hubs with good weather protection so the light stuff is out. That said, I run Red mechanical and 1400gm clinchers. Another factor that keeps me from focusing on weight is the option to run tires I don't have to worry about, which means not light.

I don't think you can get sub 7 with Ultegra. You'd have to go crazy with all other parts, particularely wheels.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

7kg was always going to be a push ... I am guessing 7.1 ish at the moment with a stages LH powermeter, although probably nearer 7.2.

Should have it built for my Saturday ride...

diecast

by diecast

FWIW my Synapse winter bike is 8.5kg incl pedals, cages, Garmin mount and of course mudguards.

That's with Campagnolo HO, Cannondale SI cranks, DT Swiss PR 1400, SKS guards, 30mm Corsa controls, basic Deda bars/stem.

It's a good frame for winter/wet weather IMHO. It's getting a bit chipped and beaten-up after 3 seasons though. My local conditions basically kills chains and bearings etc from Nov-March so I'm happy with the build.

Let us know how you get on.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

For all my optimism, currently at just over 7.4kg, on 28mm tubleless.

I suspect I can get it down by another 100g with a lighter seatpost, shadow rear derailleur (which I might buy if I don’t get my RX805 warrantied) and a lighter out front mount. Beyond that I am into 10/20 gram savings here and there which isn’t really worth the hassle.

Pretty happy all in all; I like the look of it, it should be comfortable and it’s winter practical.

Weight before mudguards, but with left arm power meter (65g extra)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Is it me, or does that rear mech not look right in 52/11?

Either chain too short or rech mech not fitted correctly?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Beancouter

by Beancouter

ryanw wrote:Is it me, or does that rear mech not look right in 52/11?

Either chain too short or rech mech not fitted correctly?
The mech is an old 6870 that I put a GS cage on so would probably be happier with a cassette bigger than a 28; I adjusted the b screw to the 28 but guessing it needs to be tightened to stretch the chain in the 11.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Close up if anyone has a view...

Paul123

by Paul123

Nice bike! I also have a Synapse carbon with some lightweight upgrades. I would live to know what mudguards you have on here with 28mm tyres.

Beancouter wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 pm

I suspect I can get it down by another 100g with a lighter seatpost, shadow rear derailleur (which I might buy if I don’t get my RX805 warrantied) and a lighter out front mount. Beyond that I am into 10/20 gram savings here and there which isn’t really worth the hassle.

Pretty happy all in all; I like the look of it, it should be comfortable and it’s winter practical.

Paul123

by Paul123

Nice bike! I also have a Synapse carbon with some lightweight upgrades. I would live to know what mudguards you have on here with 28mm tyres.

Beancouter wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 pm

Paul123

by Paul123

What SKS mudguard (and width) are you using to get a 30mm tyre under with clearance? I have tried the 35mm Chromoplastic but could not get the front wheel to turn due to clearance - I was using a 28mm tyre on 21mm rims. Be good to know for next winter.

diecast wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:42 pm
FWIW my Synapse winter bike is 8.5kg incl pedals, cages, Garmin mount and of course mudguards.

That's with Campagnolo HO, Cannondale SI cranks, DT Swiss PR 1400, SKS guards, 30mm Corsa controls, basic Deda bars/stem.

It's a good frame for winter/wet weather IMHO. It's getting a bit chipped and beaten-up after 3 seasons though. My local conditions basically kills chains and bearings etc from Nov-March so I'm happy with the build.

Let us know how you get on.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Mine aren’t sks - they are carbon veloduo - tyres are 32mm gp5000

Paul123

by Paul123

Nice, thank you. I like the look of these! What size guard did you go for? 40mm?
Beancouter wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Paul123 wrote:Nice, thank you. I like the look of these! What size guard did you go for? 40mm?
Beancouter wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Pretty sure they are 45

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

super dope. i am building up a gravel bike of mine that was stolen and just recovered into a very similar setup. it had veloduos on it but the thieves ripped them off! i had the original version they offered in 700c and they were enormously flexy, in contrast to the aforementioned pair of 650b fenders which were very stiff and nice. are yours pretty stiff in your opinion?