Thats been almost a month and I have some updates on how things are going. Nothing groundbraking but now when I look back - it seems like a lot of work
1) I've finished the moulds and prepared everything for production of lightweight aerobar extensions. They have a bend of 49 degrees and max length of 420mm.
The quality on the photo is out of the mould without lacquer. Just 35bars of pressure during the moulding doing their job.
They came out around 160 grams for set with 1 clamping zone and 420mm length (its possible to add the 2nd on another end of extension and use them reversed for praying mantis aero position on TT bike). Looks promising comparing to Profile design 270 grams for a pair of shorter extensions.
I figured that no one uses the area of the bend and optimized the cross-section there to make it "more aero". Tests showed that 1 extension capable of sustaining 150kgf of load (300kgf for a pair). That seems almost like an overkill considering almost no load on them from the rider.
Also I'm almost furious about clamping systems of the extensions - most of them utilize the clamp with only 20mm clamping zone width which is madness because such a small clamp cuts the carbon parts under the significant load. So the part breaks because its cut by the edge of the clamp and could be much stiffer and lighter if the clamps were properly engineered.
Imagine inserting your seatpost 20mm down into the frame and see what happens - you will break the seattube or a seatpost, who would thought it could happen?!
2) We've designed pretty interesting concept of Garmin/Wahoo computer mount and almost finished designing the moulds. Hope to machine them and test the prototypes next month
We target the weight of 15 grams with all titanium bolts et.c. We analized the natural frequency of the model and it seems that the little thing has to be quite stiff despite the low weight.
Also we've already tested the clamp and the carbon loop opens pretty easily to be mounted around the bar.
3) Made more moulds for bottlecages, sneaked a little upgrades on the design - they look almost the same, but work better with Purist and Camelback bottles (not that they worked bad before, but perfection has no limit
). Also add fancy logo (even didn't forget to mirror it on the mould so it would transfer to the part the right way) which is moulded into the part.
4) Here is just the cut in half seatpost I've sacrificed (it had no dents or anything else, just for sake of distruction (Hail Satan) and QC
Thats all, but hope to bring some interesting stuff about engineering composite stuff in the future