Engineering bicycle part by part

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Komarov wrote:
Lucendi wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:03 pm
Wow, the engineering skills in this thread are seriously impressive!
I'm just starting :D
ImageImageImageImage

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Fully siiick, bro!!! - as some Middle Eastern and Mediterranean Aussies like to say :D

Hey, I don't suppose there's any chance of you doing a bar/stem?

Probably even less chance of it being an Aeronova copy, right...?

And although 110/38 is probably the first size you'd make, I guess I wouldn't be able to stick the PCB from an A junction inside the stem, huh...

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:48 am
Fully siiick, bro!!! - as some Middle Eastern and Mediterranean Aussies like to say :D

Hey, I don't suppose there's any chance of you doing a bar/stem?

Probably even less chance of it being an Aeronova copy, right...?

And although 110/38 is probably the first size you'd make, I guess I wouldn't be able to stick the PCB from an A junction inside the stem, huh...
If you are in Melbourne - check Della Bici bikeshop, they have almost everything I've made in stock I guess :D

And there is a chance of making bar-stem combo :wink: since I've made a modular mould for road handlebar - I'll have to change only 2 parts of the mould in the middle and leave the drops as they are. But it will most probably be 42cm wide.
But have to finish tests first - made 8 prototypes already and still not 100% satisfied. Came to the state where I've decided to make my own carbon fiber prepreg to get the parts right :)

P.S. Why tf would I copy Aeronova?)

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Btw, I've been doing a batch of side projects recently along with handlebar testing
D-shape steerer tubes, 27,2/31,6mm tubes for DIY seatposts, little tubes for wheel axles, seatpost designs:
photo_2022-02-04_18-31-16.jpg
photo_2022-02-04_18-31-22.jpg
photo_2022-02-04_18-31-27.jpg
photo_2022-02-04_18-31-30.jpg
photo_2022-02-04_18-31-34.jpg
Untitled1.JPG
Hope to see everything as finished products very soon

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Komarov wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:56 pm
P.S. Why tf would I copy Aeronova?
Have you used one? Aside from looking the absolute tits, it's as ergonomic as it gets. The downward slope on the tops fits under the hands beautifully, and the humps at the end of the tops catch your hands just so when shifting positions, adding comfort and safety, not to mention making the phantom aero bar position way less dangerous.

After using this shape, I'm completely uninterested in any other bar.
images.jpeg

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I too will praise the Aeronova and Aerotunda, LTD naturally. I have the first on my Liespeed T3 disc and need less drop siince the T3 has a longer headtube tham my Blue AC1, the latter has the Aerotundo. 203 grams for the Aerotundo LTD and 193 grams for the Aeronova LTD. Paired with a MFCK Stem on both. Stems weigh 71 grams for the T3 and 73 grams for the AC1.

C36

by C36

Kimmoth wrote:
After using this shape, I'm completely uninterested in any other bar.
images.jpeg
It’s quite a polarising bar that has its good parts but… quite a long reach for actual stds, the top section is not confortable if you do long climbs on the top part and the “angle” in front of the hoods is not really usable. Maybe not a first bar to do…

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

C36 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:18 pm
Maybe not a first bar to do…
Yeah, exactly!
Aeronova is more of an aerobar, so it also has to be heavier to compensate lack of stiffness of the low profile and for now we wanted to make a relatively lightweight bar.
Next one will be aero (after bar-stem combo 8) )

Also aero gains will be so insignificant (mental aero gains can be more significant though :D ) for the majority of riders so its more of a narrow-niche product

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

I expect a bit of give in an aero bar... As long as the stem is beefy I don't notice the flex soaking up any power.

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:49 am
I expect a bit of give in an aero bar... As long as the stem is beefy I don't notice the flex soaking up any power.
I dont know for other brands, but I'd make aerobar as stiff as round one (flexy parts also usually have less strength due buckling so wont go on a thin ice here), but that will mean weight penalty.

So aerobar will fill the same in terms of flex, just heavier

Perp

by Perp

Used the 3d printed saddle for a few rides now (on trainer). Very comfortable. I stand to give my legs a change of position rather than my butt needing a break. Gets a bit sore 2.5hr in, but I rarely ride the trainer that long. I haven't had any saddle that doesn't give discomfort after 2.5hr on a trainer.

Came in 120g

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Perp wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:48 pm
Used the 3d printed saddle for a few rides now (on trainer). Very comfortable. I stand to give my legs a change of position rather than my butt needing a break. Gets a bit sore 2.5hr in, but I rarely ride the trainer that long. I haven't had any saddle that doesn't give discomfort after 2.5hr on a trainer.

Came in 120g
Hi!
So happy you liked the saddle, you probably have it 155mm because they were developed a little later so around 5g lighter for now (I'm finishing big mould for 143mm ones which will make them a bit lighter too).
I was also thinking about seatpost-3d printed saddle combo with some minimal adjustment possibility

RDY

by RDY

Komarov wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:44 pm
C36 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:18 pm
Maybe not a first bar to do…
Yeah, exactly!
Aeronova is more of an aerobar, so it also has to be heavier to compensate lack of stiffness of the low profile and for now we wanted to make a relatively lightweight bar.
Next one will be aero (after bar-stem combo 8) )

Also aero gains will be so insignificant (mental aero gains can be more significant though :D ) for the majority of riders so its more of a narrow-niche product
Bar tops are pretty worthless on round bars, if you have large hands. Flat aero bars are great. I never bother using the tops on round bars. Uncomfortable and pointless.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

I want a set of super light high-riser bars with the horizontal bar in the middle, like the whisky milhouse but even more rise, for my beach cruiser/shit day bike

drumjdds

by drumjdds

Impressive attention to detail! will definitely consider when upgrading in the future. thanks for sharing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com