Engineering bicycle part by part

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

CustomMetal wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:44 pm
This will be a killer product! Very excited. Any more news on the short nosed saddle?
[/quote]

Nothing to show yet, but I have an idea how to make short nosed saddle :lol: :lol:
slightly different saddle's shell with 2 density foam and leather (pehaps something limited with really expensive leather :D )
Pehaps something even like Horween cordavan leather for limited series and synthetic cover (like specialized use) for serial parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I just want your 3d printed saddle but with a short nose for my TT bike 😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:27 am
I just want your 3d printed saddle but with a short nose for my TT bike 😂
We got you... In a half of the year or so :D
Damn production of new parts is a slow process

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Hello! Haven't posted for a long time, but there is a good occasion to continue:
My new stem was presented at Bespoke show in Dresden recently on a glorious Bordure cycles bike (along with a batch of other parts :D )!
photo_2023-10-13_11-59-17 (2).jpg
photo_2023-10-13_11-59-17.jpg
photo_2023-10-13_11-59-18.jpg
photo_2023-10-13_11-59-19.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

This is awesome congrats

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

My favourite 🇷🇺 carbon top cap
Attachments
20230622_214633.jpg

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Haven't posted for a long time, but finally relocated from Russia to Slovenia myself. Ran a first "winter" (Ha-ha, european "winter") ultra-trail here already! Started to properly work on carbon stuff. So here are couple of updates!

Stem passed EFBE testing and got new carbon front plate intead of titanium ones. Not lighter, but much stronger in terms of fatigue = wont eventually scratch an asphalt with your teeth which is a good thing imho. Also it looks dope (Carbon!).
photo_2024-01-24_01-44-40.jpg
photo_2024-01-24_01-46-55.jpg
Also I did countless tests on a 5g carbon-titanium seatpost clamp. I think we broke around 20 of them before we reached the place where they hold max. torque of 8N*m. Should be more than enough for any sane user :D
There is a lighter clamp on the market, but I've never wanted to make anything "the lightest". Actually the opposite, I'm always glad to add couple of grams it is the cost of making reliable and good looking product .
photo_2024-01-24_01-44-37.jpg
(Seatpost looks like shit, but I'm always stuck with production leftovers for my own bikes :D )
test.jpg
Also I've designed and made 365g carbon SUP paddle, but I guess I should find another forum for this thread :D
photo_2024-01-24_01-44-38.jpg

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Nice to see the huge update and continued innovation.

There has been a massive hole in the market for a good round seatpost clamp for all sizes that is most importantly durable enough to last.

The Darimo option finishing is seariously questionable and I've seen a few examples of them failing. Piotr at Smud-carbon made the best historic option that was on the market by far with each part he makes being very custom and a true work of art. However, getting him to reply and make a clamp can be very difficult. If you could make something readily available for different sizes that is truely durable it would be huge benifit to the community.

Some photos of the hand crafted smud clamp I had made in 2020 that I love but cant get more of.

As strange as it might seem this is my favorite weight weenie part on any bike I own.
smud.PNG

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:06 am
Nice to see the huge update and continued innovation.

There has been a massive hole in the market for a good round seatpost clamp for all sizes that is most importantly durable enough to last.

The Darimo option finishing is seariously questionable and I've seen a few examples of them failing. Piotr at Smud-carbon made the best historic option that was on the market by far with each part he makes being very custom and a true work of art. However, getting him to reply and make a clamp can be very difficult. If you could make something readily available for different sizes that is truely durable it would be huge benifit to the community.

Some photos of the hand crafted smud clamp I had made in 2020 that I love but cant get more of.

As strange as it might seem this is my favorite weight weenie part on any bike I own.

smud.PNG
Your clamp looks great! Really nice job! What is the weight? We have work on finish of our clamps too before we launch them :D

Did final tests today on a batch with same lay-up, all survived 8N*m torque so guess thats all on mechanical side of the show. So properly finished small batch is coming soon :D
Here is the test piece under 8N*m load (So hopefully if you write "5N*m max. torque" on a part - people wont tighten it with a goal to destroy allen key, titanium bolt and a seatpost :lol: ).
8.jpg

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Komarov wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:32 pm
Your clamp looks great! Really nice job! What is the weight? We have work on finish of our clamps too before we launch them :D
Smud was full custom which I think was a mistake for mass uptake and the sustainability and scalability of his brand, and more importantly his time, but I don't know if he ever intended to go much past hobbyist builds or make a profit. His website is no longer active but I had old links to dig up the listing on internet archives. I edited out pricing as again I don't think his business was sustainable.

He hand crafted each and allowed you to specify whatever you wanted so long as he supported the diameter and didn't go under his lightest supported config. For mine I went with a very tall clamp to make sure it was solid and avoid issues like we see with Darimo and some of the very light metal bands that snap. Therefore mine is on the high end of his quoted weight because it is taller than any others he posted.
smud info.PNG
smud wieght.jpg
I hope you can find a scalable and comparitively available solid alternative that can be trusted and it seems like your product is exactly that.

I think smud even had a version with a cutout in addition to the version I bought but thats just from memory and it is hard to search the archives for it.
edit: Found it see below. Again I think this is way too many options to support.
option2.PNG

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:04 pm

I hope you can find a scalable and comparitively available solid alternative that can be trusted and it seems like your product is exactly that.
Your clamp looks really great! So much better than the clamp which weighs 4g :wink: Its a shame these clamps didn't meet serial production. Custom parts is always very tough to justify economically despite at the first look astronomical prices.

But we work only with prepregs which cure 1 hour and I think on a single 4-nest mould we will be able to make around 20 parts/day. Just need to cnc machine more of these moulds for different sizes)

Anyway - I spent 3 weeks to make my not exactly light aluminium commuter bike 1g lighter (before there was old Tune ww clamp). Life goal accomplished :D :D