Klein Quantum Pro 2001 (6.49 + pics)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stanvr

by stanvr

*sorry for posting this again, but I think I posted this in the wrong subsection "road". If a moderator can delete or close that thread, that would be great*

I've been watching and reading here for a while now, and I feel like it's time to give this place something in return! Earlier this year I pulled the trigger on a Klein Quantum Pro frameset in the plum crazy paint scheme.
image00002.jpeg
This is what was in the mail several days later! A Quantum Pro 2001 frame + fork, and the previous owner was so nice that he left bearings and some parts to get me started on the build! (The derailleurs I put on myself just to have a quick look).

From here on I started collecting parts (mostly second hand since my budget is tight being a student). Being patient and spending a lot of time on Marktplaats, 2ehands.be and Ebay-Kleinanzeigen, I managed to find a few very good deals on components. A few weeks later, a first iteration of my new was ready to enjoy!
image00001.jpeg
image00003.jpeg
Here's the parts that were on this first iteration:
Klein Quantum Pro 2001 54cm + original fork
Sram Red 22 shifters and derailleurs.
Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels (logos removed and sharpied the spokes) with Vittoria Corsa's
Thomson seatpost with Fizik Arione CX
Some silver stem with PRO PLT Ergo 40cm bars
Deda Traforato bartape
Fouriers BR-DX001 brakecalipers
Ultegra 6800 52-36 crankset and 6800 pedals which I borrowed from my old bike.
6800 11-25 cassette and a KMC EL chain
Jagwire Elite link cables
Alloy bottle cage's which are not on the picture
K-edge garmin mount and garmin's own sensor's + 520 headunit should complete the list.
This was just to get riding, and the weight including pedals and all the garmin hardware was 7.5 KG. Not bad and considerably lighter than my old rig, but from the start on, I've been planning to get it under 7 (within a reasonable budget).

A few months down the line, there have been several changes.
Klein QP.JPG
The changes above are:
Changed the seatcombo to a Tune Speedneedle with a Elita One Post (saving 230gr and more comfortable!)
Sram RED gxp 53-39 crankset and a standard cheap gxp bb (too excite
d to weigh differences...)
Syntace stem (light, but mainly to see what a black cockpit would look like)
Lightweight bottle cages from ali (2 of these weigh the same as one of the old ones :lol: )
Also put on some cheap Kactus quick release skewers, which were about a third of the weight of the bontrager stock ones.

kqp met 3t.JPG
This picture is with alloy wheels for bad weather (and they are a bit lighter too but not much)
Wheels: hplusson archtype rims laced to White Industry T11's
Also tried a -17 3T stem, which turned out to be a longer 110mm than other 110mm :noidea: but that throws me so far over the front wheel that every time I hit a speedbump or anything else it feels like being sent right over the bars.

Anyway, havent weighed it in a while, so not exact weight currently. However, estimating the upgrades and changes, it should be close to 7.0 right now.

What's in the pipeline? I'm working on a set of Stan's notubes 340 with a Carbon-Ti rear and a Tune in the front (still have to lace the front wheel) but the rear is an impressive 180gr lighter than the hplusson+T11. Combined with a SRAM Red cassette this should bring down weight considerably.
A Kalloy Uno stem is on it's way too, in 110*7. That, and cutting down the steerer and making a flat topcap should tidy up the front. Have been looking for a Hyperstem with 12 degrees for a while, but no bargains and I fear they lack stiffness.
Then I'm also in touch with Piotr Smuda to get a nice carbon seatclamp and derailleurclamp. This might save a bit of weight, but it's more of a gimmick and to get the looks right.
The brakes definitely need an upgrade too, but not sure about that yet. Adding weight feels strange to do, since losing weight has been a goal, but better performing brakes would be nice.

Little easter egg compared to that wrong posted post: some old Ciamillo's Zero Gravity's are on it's way! Read a lot about them, and curious to see if I can make them work on this bike!
Last edited by stanvr on Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Love the colour on the frame. So close to being the American Dream bike. SRAM gruppo, Thomson finishing kit (love the silver look), White Industries hubs. Just add EE brakes.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Such a cool build.

There’s a dude locally that races on a resto-mid Quantum like this, love seeing them still out

stanvr

by stanvr

Finished up the lighter wheelset yesterday, still had to built the front wheel.
stans notubes.JPG
They are both 28 hole Stan's Notubes 340 rims, in the front laced to a Tune hub and in the rear to a Carbon-Ti. Haven't been able to ride them yet, nor been able to put them in the Quantum and weigh, but the weight of the wheels is pretty impressive and they come in almost 300 grams under the hplusson set with W.I. T11. :D
Oh and best part of all, it was a total bargain:) The whole wheel build came in just under a 100€!

Might still tune up the rear wheel, I'm afraid the red nipples won't be a good match with the KLEIN, and if I'll change those out, I might delete the red on the rear hub as well. Probably will do something about the stickers on the rims as well, because I think it looks kinda tacky. Might leave Stan's on there, because well it's my name :wink:

Got the Ciamillo's in too, will start tinkering with those soon. There's a little bit of play in the calipers right now, but think a little spacer will/could solve that. I will try to get them set up and working first, but if that works out I'll see if I can clean or tune them up a bit. Thinking about maybe anodizing them in some funky color to match well with the Quantum!
Ciamillo2.JPG

DHG01

by DHG01

Nice build Stan!!
How are the Kactus QRs holding up?

How on earth did you get the wheel buld at that price?!? You are a bargain master.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Stan! this is a great looking bike. to be honest, I'm extremely jealous. This is the frame I'm looking for to pick up in my size, but never find it. and you did a lovely job with it.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

stanvr

by stanvr

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 am
Nice build Stan!!
How are the Kactus QRs holding up?

How on earth did you get the wheel buld at that price?!? You are a bargain master.
Thanks David! So far so good, but didn't ride them a lot yet.. And the bike and all the wheelsets are so new that it's hard to tell differences in skewers haha. I picked them up since I saw a video from Trace Velo on youtube who had them for 6 months. I saw the topics on this forum where people doubt the quality of cheap skewers... but I figured I would just yank them close pretty tight and that would do the trick. I tend to wheelie all my bikes, since a bike you can't wheelie is not really worth riding i.m.o. I can assure you it manages wheelies fine!

And yep, I got some good bargains on parts again! I had the rear wheel + front rim for only 20€ :roll:, then tune mig for 60 and spokes for 15. Build it yourself and you save on labor too! I just hope they will hold up and I keep my teeth haha. But again, pull a couple of wheelies and we'll know :)
Frankie - B wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am
Stan! this is a great looking bike. to be honest, I'm extremely jealous. This is the frame I'm looking for to pick up in my size, but never find it. and you did a lovely job with it.
Thanks Frankie! I'm happy how it is turning out, since this might be my best worst decision ever 8) It was quite a search, but I found this and the previous owner was very nice and willing to think and help me out with getting it to the Netherlands. I was looking for a frame in the States and Canada too for a while, but shipping got too complicated I thought. Within Europe (Spain in this case) it seems worth it.

tonchy

by tonchy

Superb build, congrats. 8)

stanvr

by stanvr

It's been a while since I posted an update on the Quantum, so here's a few things that have been going on the last couple of months.
This is also an excuse to see if I can get pictures inline and big in my postings, instead of small pictures that you need to click on.

Anyway, I talked about the Ciamillo brakes before, but the pair I got had a lot of play in the calipers. On the main body this was easily fixed by adding a spacer so everything would fit tight. However, most of the play was within the cam mechanism, which seemed to be only fixable by a lot of machining and getting new parts. So unfortunately, that was it for the very cheap pair (25€). Who knows they might come in handy sometime for a built in the future like a fixed gear.

There was still reason to look for new brakes, since the Fouriers that were on it were not flawless. They were very light (175 grams for the pair including hardware but no pads) and performed okayish. The one time I really figured out I needed other stuff was when I was descending behind a friend relatively fast. Coming up to a corner he pulled his Shimano's very hard, to slow down to a speed way lower I would have gone round. That shouldn't be too big of a deal ofcourse, however, these Fouriers could just not slow me down as fast as he was, which sent me right in to his backwheel. Nothing bad happened, but if I wanted to keep riding with friends and in pelotons, I should be able to slow down as fast as them.

I found this other set of used Ciamillo's, and they were a little more expensive than the first pair. This added also about 25 grams to the bike, but luckily these had no play, and were very easy to install on the bike. The increase in braking power and modulation is all worth it!
My previous bike had 6800 on it, and to me this pair of ciamillo's is as good as the 6800 performance wise. Sure, they are harder to set up and won't adapt different width wheels as easy, but they look cool (imo) and save a ton of weight!

So with the brakes setup, on to the next!
Apparently, a lot of people are into this thing called bike fitting. I tend to use a different approach, and use "fit to bike-ing" as method. Since I love slammed stems, this was the only way to go. As seen on the previous pictures, the spacers were all above the stem, but the dust cover was rather tall at 10mm...
Think Stan, think...
There are a few brands that make custom covers, but the KLEIN has a rather unconventional steerer diameter ( 1" 1/16). So, I got in touch with a friend who has a lathe, and he was kind enough to reduce the cover by 8mm. Here's a few pictures what it looks like now.
Now it is this neon pink color, and I like how it pops with the colour of the bike, but I can sand/change/paint this later ofcourse. Oh, and before anyone might have a go, I will cut the steerer tube once I can get to my shop with proper tools ;)

Than last for now, the seatclamp. You might recall that this was something from early on, and that I was in touch with a guy who could make me one. Unfortunately, contact with him slowed down a lot, and it was very hard to get any update of whatever from him. In december, he told me that he had the clamp finished and ready, but he never got back to me after that.
I didn't want to leave it at that, nor did I want to break my wallet on something like the Darimo clamp. So, I decided to get this instead: Image
This was a bit lighter than what was on it, but more important, it would look better with the carbon seatpost. Still, I wasn't to keen on the design, and really liked a full open design. So, I got creative and pulled out a saw and drill :)
And here it is fitted on the bike (a 34.9 stretches enough for the 36.4 frame) and tied up to 5Nm. Did a 80k test ride and everything seems fine!
I still have to refine a few things with a dremel, and try to smooth out some of the edges and cuts a bit more, but than this might be a very nice ~10€ hack!

What can you expect in the ( hopefully near) future? I will be redoing the rear wheel with a Tune 170, since the carbon-ti is 10speed only ( and the tune is a bit lighter :D ) and I might do something similar with a cheap carbon FD clamp as the saddle clamp. It's also 34.9, so have to see if that will work out. Other than that, definitely some good pictures and a final weight (still haven't got round that...)
Oh, but the first update might be about some 3d-printed garmin mounts :)

themidge

by themidge

This bike is sick :thumbup: I've got the same Ciamillos and I agree they look and feel great.

Zack89

by Zack89

This is my dream bike 🤩

Arph

by Arph

Very nice build :)

Agree on the look and feel of the Negative Gravity Ciamillos (had NG-GSL in the past), but they are too hard to live with on a day-to-day basis. Setup is finicky, and pad change is a mess. I got rid of them when I got kids, and replaced them with ee which are set-and-forget :)

DHG01

by DHG01

Hey Stan - any updates to share?! What is the current weight now?

stanvr

by stanvr

DHG01 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 am
Hey Stan - any updates to share?! What is the current weight now?
Definitely a few! I have changed a few things here and there, and had a weight, but now some Aerothan's came in at the shop... Anyway, I have been struggling with time to take good pictures, and now the weather has (again) turned to complete shit here :(. Kinda want good weather for the colours to pop, but maybe inside or stormy weather will do too! Anyway, I'll try to come with a good post asap!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Very nice. Thius turned out quite well and those ciamillos are probably the best made by ted