Focus Paralane allroad 6,9kg now with Potenza

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello,

Aside of the Izalco Max rim, this one serves as a winter bike and for easy gravel. For someone who loves Iceland, promotional video played a big role: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgnBMr-WyQo

M size for my 1m85 to be near my road bike position.
Mostly build on a budget with leftover and a questionnable mix of brand and component. Group is Sram Red for the levers, Force for derailleurs and Rival for calipers. For these last one I changed the internal screw for ti and weight are pretty the same than the Red one.
Crankset come from the previous owner build and, except DA, I can't find a better alternative with 24mm spindle (BB86 frame) and a same or narrower Q factor (more important for my knee than weight).
Stem isn't slammed yet, still the half volcano bearing cover, for the purpose of the bike, I will maybe let it like this.
I'm not a fan of slopping top tube but, when paired with a 25,4mm seatpost, I can consider it as a functional thing and almost accept the resulting form.

French build list to make you practice foreign languages :D :

Some easy weight saving but I'm trying to convince myself that a second bike shouldn't be as expensive as the first one :?

I stripped down the paint for a 100g gain, original one:
Long job, I'm not sur if I will do it again !
Last edited by jeanjacques on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Salut jean!

How did you remove the expander from the fork when you cut it? I looked on my Paralane and it looks like the metal sleeve is bonded in.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Nop, is just pressed by the expander and sometimes difficult to remove but if you already removed the connical lower piece (slight push with a hammer and a wood rod), normally you just have to push on it.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Fun story: My wife and I vacationed in Iceland in spring 2016, and Jeremy Powers was on our flight home (Jeremy and I are both from New England). I found out a couple months later he'd been shooting that video.

Bike is amazing. The Ultegra crank is a good piece of equipment but probably the spot you have the most room to further drop weight.

prebsy

by prebsy

very nice. I gain some inspiration as I'm building a cayo disc myself, This makes me want to switch to sram hydro.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

jeanjacques wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:42 pm
Nop, is just pressed by the expander and sometimes difficult to remove but if you already removed the connical lower piece (slight push with a hammer and a wood rod), normally you just have to push on it.
Thank you for the advice! I was able to remove it by installing the long bolt into the expander and lightly tapping on the bolt with a hammer. -28g with the Schmolke Expander :)

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

jbaillie wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Bike is amazing. The Ultegra crank is a good piece of equipment but probably the spot you have the most room to further drop weight.
Thanks ! I can switch to a GXP Red crankset but I saw some negative thing about the bearing on this BB and it would be counterproductive to drop weight and increase drag. What do you think ? Also, I have no problem with Sram front shifting, maybe the Ultegra rings helps.
prebsy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 pm
This makes me want to switch to sram hydro.
I cannot say I like this group compared to the DA 9000 I have on the Izalco, clunky feeling, some slow shifting and I'm looking time to time to the Campgnolo disc offering but the fact is, this Sram group works. Easy to purge, lightest mechanical disc group (and equal or lighter than DA di2), modulation is good and even if it's not the best feeling, it shift and the ride experience isn't affected. So I keep it and the good thing it's I will abuse it whitout any consideration :D

@iamraymond great, on your way to sub6 ? 8) Consider to change the volcano bearings cover and bearings themselves, rather heavy.

prebsy

by prebsy

I wouldn't be too concerned about gxp drag... sounds like someone has been watching too many hambini videos =].

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Gxp is fine as long as the bb is up to spec

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello, I listened ! :D

Second hand but never used GXP crankset (404g, 172,5mm) with Stronglight CT2 50t (103g) and Sram 34t inner ring (29g). The GXP BB is much heavier at 90g.
SlamThatStem cover by Grafix Jorj.
6,75kg. Next can be a lighter cassette with 30 or 32 cogs for gravel and a lighter set of wheels but I'm wondering the usefulness for a winter/training bike, it's a pleasure to have a net difference with the Izalco Max :)

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Magnifique. Obviously the nature of the forum is to always push for lighter, but what you have is light, functional and looks great.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Great update! I wish mine can get to that weight at some point. A SRAM XG1190 (196g for the 11-32t) would get you below 6.7kg. A less expensive, slightly heavier option is the SROAD 11-32t which is 223g.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

The build with Red crankset and Stronglight ring didn't last long: impossible to avoid the chain going outside. I know how finicky Sram front derailleur is but as plenty other pointed, some configuration make it impossible to work properly. In this case I think it's a combination of the fixed mount (a clip on band allow more position) and sharp ring teeth, I had less trouble with the Shimano (more rounded).

In the same time, I had some problem with the rear caliper: the famous ping ping sound. Before nothing so I aligned it, problem solved. Next day: ping ping ping...

So I gave up with Sram and ordered a Potenza groupset with H11 crankset. It was hard to don't jump full H11/Chorus set but aside of the cost, I was interested by the droopy lever and one speed at a time to avoid mis-shift (wich appear to be true for down shift but not for up shift, the lever allow three speeds).

Weight lever with full hydraulic hose but without cable is:
Potenza left 300g, right 304g
H11 left 276g, right 278g according to Bikerumor's scale
So 24 + 26, 50g difference. And aside of the weight, the alloy lever is really colder than carbon one.

H11 crankset 170mm, 50-34 is 636g, 41g for BB86 Campy cups.
Front Potenza derailleur is 94g and the rear, mid cage HO, 226g :?

The main good point is the hood who appears to be far better irl than pictured. As I had the three (Shimano 8000 mechanical disc and Sram), the Campagnolo one is IMHO the best looking.

My shift housing was pretty new so I didn't use yet the Campy one, I will see later if it's needed. 5 minutes to set up both derailleurs, what a difference with Sram ! I still use the Sram 11-28 cassette and even if all the speed are usable, it's not quiet so I will put an Edco Campy cassette but struggle to decide between 11-29 and 11-32 ! But to justify the name "allroad", the 32 seems a better choice, with a 29, it will be more like an heavy (WW scale) road disc bike...

I managed to compensate the weight gain with new handlebar tape, 5g by changing the inside shift tube (mainly because it failed, one hour fight to remove it...) and few titanium screws.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello,
Some change, Specialized Shallow women 36cm handlebar (174g), SMP Vulkor saddle (232g :oops: ), Edco 11-32 cassette (226g), Mavic Cosmic SL32* wheels (686g+814g), 6990g:

The Mavic wheels are incredible, I can't understand why people still use the CX-Ray spoke, even with 28 of them, the difference is night and day, Mavic 's spoke is around 1x3mm... Same for the hubs, the Dt Swiss 240s used previously is maybe well made with good seals but the flange geometry can't stand the comparaison. So yes, 1500g wheelset but as I saw an another thread (the one who convince me), Mavic's engineer know their job and the result is like ride a new bike.

*Why not the SLR ? 500€ for 100g and the SL have brass nipple. No more aloy one for a gravel/winter wheelset.