Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Almost done. Lacking one Di2 electric wire 650mm, couldn't get at this time.

Build list
FRAME: Specialized S-Works Aethos color Satin Carbon/Gloss Black Chrome size 52
PARTS:
- GROUPSET: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Disc Hydro
-CASSETTE: Sram XG-1190-A2
- PEDALS: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 SPD-SL Road
- WHEELSET: Specialized Roval Alpinist CLX Carbon Clincher Disc Satin Carbon/Gloss Black
- TIRES: Continental GP5000 25 Clincher
- SADDLE: Specialized S-Works Power Carbon 143
- HANDLEBAR: Easton E100 Carbon Di2 42cm
-STEM: Specialized S-Works SL 100mm
- BOTTLECAGE: Ax-Lightness Nasdorowje Carbon
-MISCELLANEOUS: Mcfk Carbon Seatclamp, Wheels Manufacturing Direct Mount Derailleur Hanger, Raceware Garmin Mount, and Titanium Bolts

Will post photos of finished build and weight.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Finally done! Very happy with the weight and without any exotic parts. Just a solid build.

FRAME: Specialized S-Works Aethos color Satin Carbon/Gloss Black Chrome size 52
PARTS:
- GROUPSET: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Disc Hydro
-CASSETTE: Sram XG-1190-A2
- PEDALS: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 SPD-SL Road
- WHEELSET: Specialized Roval Alpinist CLX Carbon Clincher Disc Satin Carbon/Gloss Black
- TIRES: Continental GP5000 25 Clincher
- SADDLE: Specialized S-Works Power Carbon 143
- HANDLEBAR: Easton E100 Carbon Di2 42cm
-STEM: Specialized S-Works SL 100mm
- BOTTLECAGE: Ax-Lightness Nasdorowje Carbon
-MISCELLANEOUS: Mcfk Carbon Seatclamp, Wheels Manufacturing Direct Mount Derailleur Hanger, Raceware Garmin Mount, and Titanium Bolts

Weight at 6,22kg

Thanks for looking!

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Veeeeery nice. Considering pzero velo with tubolito, darimo stem+handlebar, darimo seatpost and alpitude saddle you go easily around 5,800 grams...anyway...it's a beauty :-)

Eldasch

by Eldasch

Beautiful build which inspired me to do my first lightweight build :-)

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:57 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:25 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:25 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:41 am
I wonder what the cost would be if Specialized had all their frames made in the USA!?
I still think the price is bizarre for a frame made in Taiwan.

The standard size Argonaut is 6000USD and all metal parts are now made out of titanium. It's not as light, but the price is creeping closer between the two.
I thought about argonaut, festka, and bastion. I'm not saying spez is better, but I don't think no other brands spend like specialized on r&d, quality control, and testing. I know it's mass produced, I never pay full retail. The tarmac geometry also fits me like a glove and I'm faster. Weight is also important to me.
To me Specialized is boring. Alot of these bikes will float on second hand market as soon as something new is around the corner.
However, i don't say this to say it's a blah blah bike. I'm not that stupid. It's mostly the fact that it's too many of them.
I don't care much for Specializeds marketing. The nail in the coffin was their steady crap of Aero is everything, after that Aethos appear.
You can for sure be aware of a new bike as UCI has changed the rules. We'll see how soon something that picks up after Venge.
I won't say more than, i will never buy a Specialized.
To be honest I didn't like specialized as a brand. As you said they are many of them. But after giving it a try I got hooked because it(tarmacs) really rides well. I didn't care anymore if its a cookie cutter as long it makes me fast. In our part of the country there are a lot of specialized bikes, but I'm the only person who owns a s-works sl7, less than 5 the whole country. I'm also the only one who has a s-works aethos at the moment.
There's no forever in bikes, I intend to change every 2 years, can't wait for the s-works sl8, a sl7 with aethos tech.
Where are you located in you don't mind (you said you're the only person who owns s-works SL7)?
As far Specialized as a brand. I used to like them very much. But recently, I bought Trek Emonda SLR 7 after riding SL 5 for a month.
I got hooked. They're actually a nice bike to ride. Honestly, I don't think much about the brand. Ride whatever that makes you happy.
Everyone is doing marketing of their product. It will be stupid not to do it.
Why Argonaut is not doing heavy marketing? That's because they're very small business.
Anyway, you have a very nice Aethos and S-Works SL7
Last edited by aqualelaki on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Heavy pedals, heavy stem, heavy saddle.

This bike deserves lighter! There's 200g there for not a lot of money.

Also computer mount and bottle cage needed for scale shot or is doesn't count ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

cerro

by cerro

lightspeedylight wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 pm
Veeeeery nice. Considering pzero velo with tubolito, darimo stem+handlebar, darimo seatpost and alpitude saddle you go easily around 5,800 grams...anyway...it's a beauty :-)
Pzero Velo with tubolito and Darimo stem/bar do I have on my Aethos, works nicely :D

giovicenza

by giovicenza

Can I ask how much was the weight of the two rims complete with disks and cassette (for the rear one)?

Thanks and compliment for the excellent work!

Giorgio

sib

by sib

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:21 pm
Thanks!
Sold the bike today. I like the SL7 better for racing.
Bumping this older thread, as I'm thinking about buying an Aethos.

If you weren't racing - if you were prioritizing comfort, for example - would you still prefer the SL7 over the Aethos?
Or do you feel the SL7 is better than the Aethos in every respect apart from weight?

Thanks in advance!

pmprego

by pmprego

sib wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:58 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thanks!

If you weren't racing - if you were prioritizing comfort, for example - would you still prefer the SL7 over the Aethos?
Or do you feel the SL7 is better than the Aethos in every respect apart from weight?

Thanks in advance!
Aethos uses standard things all over the place (except the front caliper adaptar that basically no one ever replaces). How can that not be a big plus also?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

sib wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:58 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thanks!

Thanks in advance!
I would probably keep the Aethos, comfortable and still fast. Perfect for granfondos.

sib

by sib

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 pm
I would probably keep the Aethos, comfortable and still fast. Perfect for granfondos.
Thanks!
Grandfondos and other more relaxed long-distance events (brevets and such) is just what I had in mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drumjdds

by drumjdds

absolutely stunning, great job with the build!