Specialized Aethos Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LewisK

by LewisK

Vuong05 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm
Wow, so pumped to see these types of builds again. Bring back the golden age of WW please! We need godzuki26 to do a build thread on this frame....lol.
Haha yes! I was thinking the same - I hope it's the resurgence of true WW builds and perhaps more manufactures following suit and pushing the weight boundaries.

ngenear

by ngenear

Alright, I got my scale out and here are the frame set weights:

Fork (uncut): 273.9g
Lower headset bearing: 21.2g
Upper headset bearing: 16.4g
Upper headset cup: 5.1g
Headset compression ring: 1.3g
Stem spacer (10mm): 2.7g
Stem spacer (5mm): 1.3g
Expander plug: 17.2g
Expander plug bolt: 2.0g
Top cap: 2.5g
Brake caliper adapter: 8.9g
Front axel: 22.7g

Frame (52cm, including front braze on mount): 590.6g
Water bottle bolt: 3@ 1.2g, 1@ 1.1g
Seat post clamp: 8.5g
Seat post clamp bolt: 1.8g
Seat post clamp bolt washer: 0.7g
Derailleur hanger: 9.3g
Derailleur hanger bolt: 2.9g
Rear axel: 28.8g

Seat post assembly: 132.7g
Seat post shaft: 81.2g
Seat post bottom cradle: 16.5g
Seat post top cradle: 23.5g
Barrel nut: 2.1g
Rear bolt nut: 1.4g
Cradle washer (front): 0.7g
Cradle washer (rear): 0.5g
Cradle bolt (front): 3.9g
Cradle bolt (rear): 2.9g

Whew!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hardwork appreciated ^.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Owlonabike

by Owlonabike

ngenear wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 am

Whew!
Great Work. thanks for this!

does the fork weight include everything that is listed under it? I see that this is the case for seatpost

ngenear

by ngenear

Owlonabike wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 am
ngenear wrote:

Whew!

does the fork weight include everything that is listed under it? I see that this is the case for seatpost
No, it's only the weight of the bare fork. Same with the frame. I included the assembly weight of the seatpost to make it easier to compare to alternatives.

Owlonabike

by Owlonabike

ngenear wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 pm
Owlonabike wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 am
ngenear wrote:

Whew!

No, it's only the weight of the bare fork. Same with the frame. I included the assembly weight of the seatpost to make it easier to compare to alternatives.

thanks makes sense.

ngenear

by ngenear

Ok, looking for some wheel advice for my build. I've decided to go with tubulars, but what wheels to use??

Options I have so far are:

Extralite CyberDisc 338T
Caden (deCADENce) 25mm
Lightweights
Custom built

I haven't found too much user experience with the Caden wheels but the price and weight are solid. The Extralites are about the same weight but are a little deeper so the aero will be slightly better (not the highest priority but it helps). And of course the Lightweights are stiff and exotic, but not that light by comparison and the rim profiles seem a little dated (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any feedback on these or other options?

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

takolino

by takolino

If you're looking to lower your budget, I've had good luck building wheels with rims from Farsports, Lightbicycle and Yoeleo. Over the years, it seems they've been updating their carbon manufacturing and offering ultralight versions on selected rims and quality has improved. For example, farsports has a 25mm tubular rim weighing 220g. They are pretty reputable chinese brands and have been around a while. Any of them will build your wheel custom. Choose Tune or Extralite hubs for the lightest builds. I believe you can even order them with ti spokes but don't quote me on that. I usually buy just the rims. They should be able to build up shallow wheelsets around 800-900g for a reasonable cost.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

I would say DeCadence wheels or custom built Light Bicycle wheels. Yes the rims are chinese, but they have a solid reputation.

Prawn

by Prawn

I have experienced with both lightweight and Caden wheels. You won't go wrong with either. My favourite wheels are Lightweight Gipfelsturm - very light, very self-assured on descent or in the wind thanks to their modern profile. Run them with supple 25mm tyres for a very smooth experience on stiff wheels. Ben Caden takes great pride in his work, especially his tubulars, and the wheels are made from his own moulds in Taiwan.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

ngenear wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:34 am

I haven't found too much user experience with the Caden wheels but the price and weight are solid. The Extralites are about the same weight but are a little deeper so the aero will be slightly better (not the highest priority but it helps). And of course the Lightweights are stiff and exotic, but not that light by comparison and the rim profiles seem a little dated (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any feedback on these or other options?

Thanks in advance 👍🏼
I am on my second year with a pair of DeCadence 38mm clinchers and I am still quite happy with these. Only minor issue was the axle in the front hub had to be replaced as the axle nuts couldn't tighten properly leaving a tiny bit of play. Ben had in the menatime updated the design and sent me a set of axle nuts free of charge and the problem was resolved. Braking still impress me and exceeds that of other carbon wheels I have had (Fulcrum, Mavic and FFWD) and the rims show no wear yet. The wheels are also quite stiff and hande my 76kg on often less-than-perfect roads without a hint of flex :thumbup:

Oh, and the stated weight was bang-on, so they really are as light as he claims :D

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Lw only on this beauty

ngenear

by ngenear

Thanks for all of the feedback above. I hadn't heard of Yoeleo before.

Yes, LW would be awesome! But pricey. Anyone got a set to sell?

I'll have to check with Farsports and Light Bicycle to see what they can offer that isn't listed on their site. Otherwise I may go with Caden as I haven't heard any negatives about them.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

LW's would be snazzy... none to sell,my only LW's are rim brake obermeyers.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LewisK

by LewisK

If budget allows then go Lightweight. They would compliment the frame components and they are a thing of beauty! German engineering at its finest.