Cervelo R5 Disc (6.45kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Aryeh

by Aryeh

2018 Cervelo R5 Disc
Final Weight: 6.45kg

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting this kind of thread, so excuse me if I make any mistakes in the formatting.
I got this bike pre-owned from a guy that switched to gravel. I started riding a year ago, and my previous bike was a 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro with Ultegra Di2. I switched because I decided that I wanted a race bike instead of an endurance bike because I like chasing Strava segments, and I wanted more aggressive/aero geometry.
I got the bike at 15lbs without pedals or bottle cages, and I decided to tweak it to my liking. It came with an Easton Crankset that didn’t have a power meter, so I switched the bottom bracket to dub and got a Quarq crankset and power meter with praxis chainrings because they were lighter than the SRAM ones.
It came with an S-Works SL 90mm stem and a 420mm Easton Aero Handlebar, and I switched that to a bar stem combo because I liked the way it looked over a traditional bar and stem and it was relatively light at around 300g.
I decided to sell the Roval CLX 50 wheels it came with and get Light Bicycle WR50 instead because I wanted to run low pressure for comfort, and the 25mm internal width plus 28mm tires, helps me achieve that. (50psi~)
I switched out the saddle from a cheap saddle that it came with to the padded berk lupina, which I find very comfortable even on long rides.

Overall, I was trying to have a light bike while not sacrificing comfort and practicality too much. I probably could’ve made the bike a few hundred grams lighter with low profile wheels, skinnier tires, and a smaller cassette, but then I wouldn’t like riding my bike as much as I do, so for what I’ve got, I think 6.6kg is pretty decent.

Last edited by Aryeh on Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Very nice bike and choice of components - can't tell if the saddle angle is extreme or just the angle of photos.
The Black Inc. bar stem combo is actually much more high-end than your description suggests. Bonus points for the chain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

jbaillie wrote:Very nice bike and choice of components - can't tell if the saddle angle is extreme or just the angle of photos.
The Black Inc. bar stem combo is actually much more high-end than your description suggests. Bonus points for the chain.
Thank you!
I'm pretty sure the saddle is level :) Image

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

Wow what beauty and a dream build!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Aryeh

by Aryeh

gSporco wrote:Wow what beauty and a dream build!
Thank you!

Aryeh

by Aryeh

I decided to try the new ENVE SES tires in 29mm. They measure 31.4mm which is a slightly better match for my 32mm external wheels.
Its my first time using tan sidewall tires. It looks quite interesting.
These tires we're much harder to install than the Schwalbe ones. Schwalbe installed easily by hand and seated with a floor pump. These tires were difficult even with levers and I had to use my tubeless air canister multiple times until I got the bead to seat.
I'll test ride them tomorrow.

gSporco

by gSporco

Aryeh wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:20 pm
I decided to try the new ENVE SES tires in 29mm. They measure 31.4mm which is a slightly better match for my 32mm external wheels.
Its my first time using tan sidewall tires. It looks quite interesting.
These tires we're much harder to install than the Schwalbe ones. Schwalbe installed easily by hand and seated with a floor pump. These tires were difficult even with levers and I had to use my tubeless air canister multiple times until I got the bead to seat.
I'll test ride them tomorrow.

Im looking for some new tubeless road rubber and the ses is on the list. Did you weigh them bybany chance? They are stated lighter than most other options
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Yeah. 275g and 268g for my 29mm tires.
Schwalbe Pro One TLE was 268x2.

Sent from my SM-G9880 using Tapatalk

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Little update.
Just switched out the Praxis chainrings for Carbon-Ti ones that I got a good deal on.
This saves about 25g and looks nicer IMO. But the next move is switching the plastic sram bottom bracket to a BB Infinite Ceramic one, and that will add about 40 grams. Image

prebsy

by prebsy

nice build. It might be worth trying to take guesstimates at the other component weights. Seems like a really solid build for disc and 6.6kg well done.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

prebsy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:09 pm
nice build. It might be worth trying to take guesstimates at the other component weights. Seems like a really solid build for disc and 6.6kg well done.
I just updated my original post with some more weights. I might switch groupsets to AXS, if I do I'll try to weigh everything.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Just changed out the steel bolts that came with my Chinese bottle cages to AL ones.
Pretty big difference!
Shipping form China took forever. ImageImage

Bbinfinite cermitech BB is now installed.
It came in at 110g instead of the claimed 126g.
Bike is now at 6.605g

Aryeh

by Aryeh

New stuff arrived. I think its gonna get heavier. (Crankset weighs the same, RD and cassette are heavier, FD is lighter and I assume shifters are about the same)
I might also switch from Deda to Supacaz tape. Image

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

oldturd

by oldturd

Keep it light with the Deda tape!

Aryeh

by Aryeh

I used the 10% Black Friday discount and ordered a set of Light Bicycle AR24 Flyweight wheels with Carbon-Ti hubs. Its 280g per rim and the full wheelset should come in at 1080g.
I will use them for windy days and climbing days.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com