Weenie from Belgium

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Primera23

by Primera23

Hello my fellow weenies!

Long time lurking the forum but now I thought it was time to introduce myself. My name is Stijn and I'm a 30y old belgian. Been riding bikes for sport sinc as long as I can remember. Mainly MTB but I do ride my road bike reguraly also. Never did any real competition. Only some "local" races. I had a lot of bikes over the years. Every bike was customized, it really is a hobby to tinker with it. But it is only my current one I went full weenie. My friends call me obsessed but when I see some builds or tips on this forum, I know I'm barely scratching the surface. Below some specs and photo's of my bike(s). Fair warning: lot of chinese/aliexpress parts were used. Already 2 years without any issues at all.

Brand:Bergamont Type: Revox Team (2018)
Starting weight without pedals: 9,6kg
Final weight incl pedals, sensors, mounts,... : 8,93kg

Spreadsheet with weights (in grams):
Frame: no specs found
Fork: standard SID RC boost (didn't check for weight yet)
seatpost clamp: KCNC = 10g
Seatpost: Elita one carbon (ALI) 400mm 27.2 = 148g
Seat: Carbon saddle with leather "padding" (ALI) = 110g
Stem: Kalloy 110mm with titanium bolts (ALI) = 107g
Bar: Standard FL1.0 Carbon SL T-Bar= 180g (according to google)
Bartape: KCNC EVA grips= 14g
bottle cages and hardware: carbon (ALI) with alu bolts (ALI)= can't find my picture with weight now
Outer Cables: standard
Inner Cables: standard
Brakes: SRAM level TLM
Brake discs: Quaxar discs = 111g (incl bolts and CL to 6bolt adapter)
Front derailleur: None ;-)
Rear derailleur: XX1 eagle with JRC components jockey wheels
Crankset: XX1 eagle with left stages carbon powermeter
Chainrings: Absolute black oval 34T
Chain: KMC 12 speed
Shifters: GX eagle
Cassette: XX1 eagle
Wheels: Carbon wheels with custom decals around DT 350 hubs and DT spokes (ALI)= 1530g
Inntertubes: None, tubeless set-up = 60g each (yes, I weighed it)
Tires: Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph
Pedals: X-pedo Titanium pedals= 108g each
Garmin mount with bell and GOPRO mount (ALI)= 40g (was 42g but drilled some holes in it)

Extra stuff:
- deleted a support for a chaincatcher and put sawed off alu bolts in its place
- replaced every bolt on the bike by titanium or alu(where safe); Headset, brakes, levers,...
- replaced front and rear axle by stealth type without lever
- carbon bar end caps
- carbon top cap and titanium bolt
- replaced rubber chainstay with carbon tape

Happy with the results. Because a lot of stuff came from ALI, it wasn't that costly. I now have bought various products from ALI, in my humble opinion you can score decent products there. I had my doubts (especially for the wheels) regarding safety but until now all works great! I believe it is a matter of research to find great products. Saddle for example is 25euro. That is ridicoulsy cheap. sure you can find lighter stuff but that comes with a price. I wanted to build a bike sub 9kg without going crazy and compromising on safety or comfort. I can take my bike, check pressure and go for a ride. Love it!

Last edited by Primera23 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Primera23

by Primera23

mental high five back! ;-) So far, I love the seatpost. Has just enough flex. Wanted a full support on top and bottom because of my carbon rails on the saddle. Also I needed length of 400mm. I suppose 350mm should also work but then I came real close to the max insert limit.

Primera23

by Primera23

Hi, Rob!

Where are you from? I'm from region Antwerp (Boom).

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Primera23 wrote:Hi, Rob!

Where are you from? I'm from region Antwerp (Boom).
Halle, close to Geraardsbergen

Primera23

by Primera23

knappe regio daar! Paar keer al gaan biken.

Back to english now ;-) Some pics of my road bike:

It is a Thompson Blade disc with full ultegra incl powermeter. Fitted with TRC carbon wheels 60mm. Great thing about Thompson is, that you can design your whole bike like you want. Endless posibilties in color. Chose for full "spectrum" color and black text. Color changes in sun. Stunning to look at IRL. When in the shade, it's a full black bike. really love it. No real WW done on this one yet. Only some small tinkering with bolts and customising. What I still want do to, is change the disc's. I dislike the silver color. Ruins the look completly. Like the closed vented look so probabely will go for the dura ace discs. Just waiting for good deal on those.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Primera23 wrote:knappe regio daar! Paar keer al gaan biken.

Back to english now ;-) Some pics of my road bike:

It is a Thompson Blade disc with full ultegra incl powermeter. Fitted with TRC carbon wheels 60mm. Great thing about Thompson is, that you can design your whole bike like you want. Endless posibilties in color. Chose for full "spectrum" color and black text. Color changes in sun. Stunning to look at IRL. When in the shade, it's a full black bike. really love it. No real WW done on this one yet. Only some small tinkering with bolts and customising. What I still want do to, is change the disc's. I dislike the silver color. Ruins the look completly. Like the closed vented look so probabely will go for the dura ace discs. Just waiting for good deal on those.

Be careful with the paint on that Thomson, their paint is like cheese

Primera23

by Primera23

Mmmmmh, never heard that before. I'm actually kind off freakish when it comes to my bikes so I'll keep an eye out. I already put a thick protective sticker on the downtube against stonechips

Primera23

by Primera23

Hi, just here to get rid of the dust on my topic and to give a status update.
So I finished (as I you could actually ever be done) my weenie XC project.

Final result with pedals, tubeless sealant,... so ride ready:
(those wondering where the paint went, I have a topic in the MTB sub forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163542 )

Been enjoying the bike for more than a year now and loving every cm of the rides. Now with the whole gravel hype, I started to think about a next project. For some off-road rides, I don't need suspension or my XC tires. I'm not going full bikepacking or so but would like something different than just my XC bike. Still have a spare Bergamont HT boost frame (S) in the garage. It will not be a full on gravel build because I had some limitations I determined.

- Boost size frame, not needed on gravel bike but since I had this already, I might aswell use it
- Don't want drop/road/gravel bars. I want to be able to handle tricky, rooty, stoney,... paths. So straight bars it was (more confident)
- Since I had boost frame, I wanted to make it simple and get a rigid boost fork. That way wheels are interchangeable between my bikes
- Wheels have XD body so it had to be 12S. Also not needed for gravel but got the wheels (DT XR1501) already gathering dust
- 180 disc in front for easy switch with XC bike

I made my list of parts I had lying around and those I needed. In fact I would only need a groupset and a rigid fork. So for 400 euro I would be able to build the bike. I made a weight estimitation and compared it with my XC bike. Turns out the gravel would be heavier. At that moment I kinda went all out 8)

So I ordered:
- Saddle= 77gr
- Elita one seat post= 135gr
- Xpedo Ti pedals= 214gr (have them on the XC and very happy with them)
- TUFO swampero 40mm gravel tires= 430gr
- stealth axles= 85gr (combined)
- Crank (ali)= 608gr but since then I got a XX1 GXP quarq crank 408gr. Still need to order a chainring, waiting confirmation it fits (8 bolt)
- SLX 12S shift + RD= 132gr + 311gr Got them quitte cheap and only thing in stock
- ZTTO brakes= 533gr I had Sram level TLM in garage but thought I gave those a try considering 4 piston, light and dirt cheap= 50 euro
- Carbon wheels (DT350S, 28W24D, CX-rax, 6-bolt)= 1250gr

So it quickly got out of hand :D

Everything except the wheels has arrived so I'm piecing it together. Estimated final weight is around 7,2kg ride ready.

That's it for now. Will update once I have some build time again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com