Practical Sub-5 On a Budget (4454g) - Officially Sub-10!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NiFTY

by NiFTY

This is amazing work.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steff

by steff

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:27 pm
I realized I never really did a full post on my Red22 Tuning

1. I tried to extract the pins
You should try to drill at the opposit and push them with a little pin remover

I had tune red derailleur and put carbon pin

Alfonso

by Alfonso

Good Morning.
Where has your friend put the 3.2kg bike to see it.
I can't wait to see it and remember old weight weenies glories.
All the best.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Me too!

@Alfonso did you ever get to sub 3KG with your FM066?

Alfonso

by Alfonso

Hi Michaelk
If I was very close to 3 kg and I know how difficult it is to reach that weight and more today with aero bikes, disc brakes, etc...
And the lack of companies dedicated to making light components, type Btp, ax lightness, veloflyte, etc...
That's why seeing sub 4 kg bikes still gives you joy for those of us who like the theme of lightening as much as possible without losing reliability and safety of our bikes.
All the best

JSPRFRD

by JSPRFRD

jpeterson1012 wrote:We might have a real good one coming in soon. a friend of mine just registered, his bike's 3.2kg (!)
Is it euphoria0616 in Instagram?
I cannot get my head around the weight of that bike! Would love to see an in-depth topic on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poulhansen

by poulhansen

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:36 am
Update: So it seems my old saddle tuning went a little too far, and despite my efforts to repair it, the bridge that connects the two halves together is cracking. In order to keep my butt cheeks wedded to one another, I've gone ahead and bought another one from the same seller. This time around, I've done the tuning a little differently. I've still shortened the nose and lopped off the rear, but I haven't gone ballistic in removing material until only a thin strip remains. I've also elongated the perineal relief slot as much as I could, extending it towards the the nose by around 10mm and the rear by around 10mm as well. The relief slot was also widened to match my first edition. Turns out, drillium is not the answer. The weight saved by drilling 18 holes was less than half a gram, and I did so mainly for aesthetic reasons. I've also removed more material from the rear of the 'wings' (my ass was never fat enough to touch those areas to begin with).

I've also been much more careful to avoid sanding through any plies, spending a good two hours alone in the bathroom with the door shut. Surprisingly enough, half of the weight savings actually come from taking off the clear coat (~10g). You can tell if it's clear coat or carbon by the color of your debris, if it's black water it's carbon, if it's white water it's clear coat.

Despite the new one looking like it should be way heavier than the old one, they are in fact only 2.2g apart.

Old one: 62.81g

New one: 65.00g

No sand through this time around! I'm actually rather fond of the aesthetic, looks visually cleaner than the old one. The "tips" on the rear of the old one made it look old fashioned and over-styled imo.

Some drillium to give it a more weight weenie aesthetic. they remove less than 0.5g total so it isn't worth drilling any more.

Extended perineal relief slot and widened bridge

Overall length is 220mm, width is 125mm

Noticeably shorter than the old version.

This one should last a lot longer than the old one!
Thank You for the inspiration. I just received mine and am bringing out the hacksaw, to remove the rear hump. 81g to start with
Attachments
20220331_095840.jpg
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

Alfonso

by Alfonso

I think the video of the assembly of your friend's 3.3 kg bike is very well done. Showing the weights of all the components and how he has assembled it. It has lacked to place the pedals, handlebar tape, hoods and bottle holder (optional), otherwise I like the bike and the video.
Let's see if we see light bikes in this forum again.
All the best

drumjdds

by drumjdds

unreal, how does she ride?

Vadd

by Vadd

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:03 am

Very cool build, and I love the black-purple color scheme! I have one stupid question though. Kinda new here, trying to lurk moar, but couldn't find the answer. So, what are those spreadsheet pictures many people are posting with component lists of their builds? They look the same. Is there a service where you can list your components with prices and weights and then export the spreadsheet?
Kona Rove 2021
Poison Chinin 2020

https://www.buildyourbike.co

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Vadd wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm
So, what are those spreadsheet pictures many people are posting with component lists of their builds? They look the same. Is there a service where you can list your components with prices and weights and then export the spreadsheet?
You can screenshot the spreadsheet directly from Google Sheets or Excel. Personally, I use a simple script that renders CSV to HTML for full artistic control.

Vadd

by Vadd

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:10 am
You can screenshot the spreadsheet directly from Google Sheets or Excel
Yeah, that I know. I've just seen many people with spreadsheets that look the same and they look styled. So seems like they come from the same tool, maybe a tool for building weight weenies bikes that I'm not aware of. As I'm building such a service myself, I would love to learn about other services.
Kona Rove 2021
Poison Chinin 2020

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Maybe https://lighterpack.com/welcome is what you're after?

Vadd

by Vadd

Nah, doesn't look like it. But thanks, this one is also an interesting tool
Kona Rove 2021
Poison Chinin 2020

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arcadia

by arcadia

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:53 am
You got it, I was thinking the same.
I saw a weenie made this on his levers, and posting this on, maybe instagram?!
I was thinking the guy doesn't want to use his brakes...
There is a american design jeweller saw, made from titanium wire,using 3D triangles, very clever.
It's the lightest, but also the strongest tensile on the blade, and using a quick tensile process (like quick wheel lever axis), to keep all settings, very clever.

I would be interested to know where to buy a red deraileur for less than 200, i would try to get the wifly one, and try to upgrade the cage for larger cassette, if you have a link to get it, I would be interested.
It's interesting to see where you started and were you are now, I made almost same path, but all virtually, from shimano dura ace, to super record, then 1x12 sram red axs, and finally sram red 22 mechanical, for the shifter-derailleur it's the best option, I was thinking about finding a used torno, but those tyhings are incredibily rare on the market, so I will try to find a second hand clavicula.

For the flat pedals,When I looked on aliexpress, the first choice was same as yours, but after more diggings, finally found my holy grail , just click,if you want save another 30 grams.
I only want flat pedals, as I want to keep my freedom, meaning normal shoes.
Those are still on their ways, but once I get them, won't leave as they are, I will do some milling, sanding and polishing, to make them look a bit like vintage pedals, and of course, save some grams.
Maybe I will tweak the bearing and put some ceramic ones.