3T Strada sub 6kg goal with cable disc and mechanical shifting

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MattMay

by MattMay

The hack seems intriguing because that’s the part of the post I hate. I’d love to know what other posts might fit a 3T Exploro but the web isn’t much help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

MattMay wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:36 am
The hack seems intriguing because that’s the part of the post I hate. I’d love to know what other posts might fit a 3T Exploro but the web isn’t much help.
The new Exploro has a more traditional seatpost and that fits all gens of Exploros. I emailed 3T a while back to see when it'd be avilable for purchase and they said hopefully late September. I hate the diff lock and will be ordering the new one when it's avilable.

MattMay

by MattMay

Great news, thank you!

takolino

by takolino

AZR3 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 am
MattMay wrote:
The new Exploro has a more traditional seatpost and that fits all gens of Exploros. I emailed 3T a while back to see when it'd be avilable for purchase and they said hopefully late September. I hate the diff lock and will be ordering the new one when it's avilable.
I just saw the new Exploro Racemax with the new seatpost. I have an old Ritchey WCS seatpost with the same one bolt clamp. It works well and is fairly light. This would be an improvement both functionally and weight wise. The Strada seatpost clamp is a little different from the difflock. There are no splines and tends to slip. The rails are not clamped well either as I've read somewhere the saddle slips forward/aft. If the new post fits the Strada as tonytourist suggests, this could be a decent upgrade. Curious to see how much it will weigh.

My plan for the hack is to use a Schmolke style two bolt clamp. Total weight of the hardware including the titanium bolts, the anchor pin, cradle and the yokes weigh 35-40g if you pick and choose light components.

from my spare parts bin

Not a fan of the red yokes so I may use some black ones that weigh a couple of more grams.
The current plan is to cut the top off of the 3T post just below the aluminum chunk which is the bulk of the weight. After the top is cut, the post should weigh around 100g. I'll need to reinforce the top to support the cradle and the pin by wrapping carbon fiber and epoxy resin. I'll use a heat shrink tape to remove excess resin to keep it light and strong.
The tricky part is cutting the holes and cradle support area precisely. I happen to have the right size hole saw for the job. I'll need to make a jig to clamp the seatpost perfectly flat on to a drillpress but I think this will work. Need to sharpen the saw. Stay tuned.

easyv

by easyv

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to this Bicycling article on the RaceMax, the new seatpost is only 162g which would be a huge (relatively by weight weenie standards, of course) weight savings from the ~240g the current Charlie post for the Strada weighs:

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a3 ... 62%20grams.

dlj2119

by dlj2119

takolino wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:33 am
Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:51 am
takolino wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 pm
By the way, what kind of pads are those? They are super light. Can they be used for the Juintech GT?
These are Cooma Ex Plus pads, available for multiple caliper brands. Initially, I had to grind Shimano pads down, but the manufacturer was very kind to make Hope compatible pads at my request too.
Thanks! I'll definitely check these out. Another 28 grams saved!
I just need to figure out which pads are compatible. From the looks of the Juintech pads, they look like Shimano d02s for the Saint. Can anyone confirm?
Did you figure out what pads fit the Juintech GT? I know they're different thant the F1 pads.

takolino

by takolino

They seem to be same as the shimano 4 piston type, like the M8120 and Saint M810. I ordered a set of the Cooma pads for the Shimano brakes from Alpha Cycling on Aliexpress. I'll let you know if they fit.

takolino

by takolino

easyv wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:06 am
AZR3 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 am
MattMay wrote:

According to this Bicycling article on the RaceMax, the new seatpost is only 162g which would be a huge (relatively by weight weenie standards, of course) weight savings from the ~240g the current Charlie post for the Strada weighs:

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a3 ... 62%20grams.
Thanks for the link, easyv. This may be a very good upgrade and likely cheaper and tougher than the darimo version albeit slightly heavier. Bets on which one is available first?
I'm going to continue with the hack since it will be cheaper and possibly lighter than the new seatpost. I'm also impatient. If I fail, this is a great backup. Looking forward to seeing a Strada owner here getting one and posting a review.

takolino

by takolino

Just got an email back from Dan at 3T and he says the new post will be available as an after market purchase in 6-8 weeks. I also asked him if it will fit the Strada and here's his answer:

"This post will only retroactively fit in the 1st and 2nd generation Exploros and the Exploro RaceMax."

Sounds like there's conflictiong info on the interchangeability of seatposts between the Strada and Exploro. Has anyone actually tried?
If it's a minor difference, perhaps it can be made to fit?
If anyone here has an Exploro, could you measure your post with a caliper? Thanks in advance!

AnkitS

by AnkitS

iirc dudemanppl's strada used an exploro Seatpost. I'm fairly certain they are all interchangeable.

MattMay

by MattMay

I have an Exploro but the seatpost is aero/triangular, so what measurements work for you?

Focus1770

by Focus1770

There are pictures of media bikes when the Strada was first released with a Exploro seat post, as well as a training bike for an Aqua Blue team rider.

My Strada seat post measures 1mm wider (left to right) than an early Exploro seat post I have. The other measurements (front to back) etc., are the same for the Exploro and my Strada.

I believe a former 3T employee on here had mentioned that it would fit with sanding some of the Exploro post's finish.

I am interested to hear other experiences of swapping the seatpost, I bought the used Exploro seatpost to swap for a winter project.

takolino

by takolino

MattMay wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm
I have an Exploro but the seatpost is aero/triangular, so what measurements work for you?
If you imagine looking at the end of the seatpost, the width and height of the "D" shape. Appreciate it!
Focus1770 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:39 pm
There are pictures of media bikes when the Strada was first released with a Exploro seat post, as well as a training bike for an Aqua Blue team rider. My Strada seat post measures 1mm wider (left to right) than an early Exploro seat post I have. The other measurements (front to back) etc., are the same for the Exploro and my Strada.

I believe a former employee on here had mentioned that it would fit with sanding some of the Explore post's finish.

I am interested to hear other experiences of swapping the seatpost, I bought the used Exploro seatpost to swap for a winter project.
The Strada post is thicker? I would have imagined it to be thinner as the more aero bike. I'm open to sanding the post but not the frame. Maybe wrapping the post with carbon fiber and then sanding it to fit the frame. Was hoping it would be a matter of minor sanding on the Exploro post.

takolino

by takolino

Ah, I read that wrong.
"I believe a former employee on here had mentioned that it would fit with sanding some of the Explore post's finish."
Sounds like it's doable. Would love to hear first person experience though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

I got more detail from Dan at 3T.

"The difference in the posts comes from the bevel on the back edges of the post. It will not be possible nor is it recommended by 3T to sand the post to fit the dimensions of the Strada. Doing so could compromise the frameset and would void the warranty.
With that being said, we are looking at producing this post for the Strada but with production backlogs, it is proving difficult currently.
We hope to have a solution in the coming months."