3T Strada sub 6kg goal with cable disc and mechanical shifting

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

What RD are you using with the Ratio? Does the mod work on Sram Road RD or only 11speed Sram MTB RD?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

easyv

by easyv

Looks like the modification also requires a SRAM 12-spd MTB rear derailleur (since SRAM doesn't make a mechanical 12 speed road derailleur).

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/ratio-t ... grade-kit/

mcal8055

by mcal8055

I've had the Ratio kit since it was first launched (GX Eagle RD, X01 Eagle chain & cassette, Force 22 shifter). Incredibly happy with it and can't wait to see what they come up with next.

takolino

by takolino

gSporco wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:00 pm
What RD are you using with the Ratio? Does the mod work on Sram Road RD or only 11speed Sram MTB RD?
I'm using Red Wifli RD. Any Exact Actuation RD should work without any mods. The Wifli RD barely clears the 36t cog. If I want more range, I can also use the MTB XX 10 speed RD for up to 40t according to what I've read. They are spec'd for 36t but should clear the 40t and are still pretty light, around 180g. Another road RD that works is the Force 1 but these are a bit heavier. Cassette choice may be an issue as the spacing may be slightly different. I've tried to find out if Eagle and XG1290 are the same but did not find definitive info.

Another issue is this may or may not work for 2x setup since chain capacity will become an issue for the bigger range cassettes. The 10-33 may be good for that.

Ratio sells a plastic blade that converts MTB X-actuation derailleurs to Exact Actuation for wide range cassettes. So you have a lot of derailleur choices. But watch out for how the cable will rout to MTB derailleurs on a road frame. Ratio calls that out and has some solutions for that.

JimboP

by JimboP

Strada Stealth Frame arriving tomorrow and I'm planning my build. Love the result of the Metro 5D bars but I'm trying to do this on a reasonable budget so looking for a thrifty alternative.

Did anyone have any luck with the basic FSA ACR stem and/or the Giant Propel stem?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

takolino wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:46 am
On first look, I think it's very promising. There's plenty of room in the top cap to rout cables and or hoses. It should be no problem for hydraulic hoses but bends may be a bit tight for cables to keep friction in check. Since the cable/hose will exit just behind the rotating axis of the stem before they go into the top tube, the handlebars should rotate freely. I'll probably 3D print some top caps to test how much cable movement I'll need before I start modifying the actual top cap. The other issue is how much space there is in the fork crown area. I probably should have checked before I bought the bars. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's a bit on the heavy side. May have to give up sub 6 status. Kind of a bummer since they claimed 355g for the 10cm stem version.
They will quote the weight without the top cap
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

dlj2119

by dlj2119

takolino wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:41 am
Did you end up changing out the traversing steel M6 Juin Tech bolts to titanium ones? I just did this with ease, no seals to deal with. Used RISK hollow black bolts and saves about 10g per caliper. You can also change the M4 one to ti as well.

Toybota

by Toybota

How is the tire clerance with running GP5000 28mm? I know Vroomen said the bike was intended for 28-30mm but the gap seems really tight.

takolino

by takolino

It's actually rideable with 28c GP5k on LB WR50 rims which plump up to around 31mm. I'll take a photo from the underside to show the actual clearance later tonight.

I think 3T may have updated these frames in the last couple of years. I can see there's more room behind the seat tube than on the early reviews where they complained about tight clearance. They may have added room around the chainstays too.

takolino

by takolino

dlj2119 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm

Did you end up changing out the traversing steel M6 Juin Tech bolts to titanium ones? I just did this with ease, no seals to deal with. Used RISK hollow black bolts and saves about 10g per caliper. You can also change the M4 one to ti as well.
I did not but that's a great tip! That's significant weight saving for some ti bolts. I wonder how reliable this brand is. I only started to see their stuff on Ebay recently but I see them popping up on Amazon too. Since this is a very critical application, I'm just concerned for any possible issues. Their name isn't helping at all. LOL.

jch3n

by jch3n

dlj2119 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Do you have any more details about this mod? What length bolts did you use? I've found that the stock bolts seem to corrode/oxidize easily, so changing them out would perhaps solve that problem in addition to saving some grams.

takolino

by takolino

Toybota wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm
How is the tire clerance with running GP5000 28mm? I know Vroomen said the bike was intended for 28-30mm but the gap seems really tight.
The tire measured with caliper is just a hair under 31mm, like 30.7-30.9mm. I can slip a 3mm allen key just barely between the tire and the stays. They do touch as I slip it through. Maybe 2.9mm on one side and 2.8mm on the other. No rub marks on the paint. Pumped to 80 psi.
IMG_0318.jpg

Toybota

by Toybota

takolino wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:53 am
Toybota wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm
The tire measured with caliper is just a hair under 31mm, like 30.7-30.9mm. I can slip a 3mm allen key just barely between the tire and the stays. They do touch as I slip it through. Maybe 2.9mm on one side and 2.8mm on the other. No rub marks on the paint. Pumped to 80 psi.

IMG_0318.jpg
Doesn't look bad at all.
Sorry to be such a PITA but could you take a picture of the Fork clearance?

Thank You!

takolino

by takolino

@Toybota, fork has very similar clearance to the chainstays. About 3mm clearance measured with 3mm allen key.
Attachments
IMG_0343.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Soooo, the RaceMax seatpost finally arrived from 3T. I went ahead and ordered it since I was curious and also if I ever have problems with my modded seatpost.
First, the good news. It fits! No sanding necessary. And it's quite light at 94g for the post without clamping hardware. Price is reasonable too. $140 usd plus $10 for shipping. Contact 3T customer support for ordering as they are not availale on their website, at least not yet. Since it doesn't come with the clamps, you need to buy that elsewhere. I got mine at treefort bikes for $15 shipped. So, very reasonable cost overall for significant weight savings. And, the WCS is a much better clamp than the Charlie. I used to have it on an older bike and it worked well. No slipping issues and easier to set up. Just make sure you get the correct version for your saddle rail size.

The bad news is that 3T says it will void your frame warranty if you use it on the Strada. They say it won't work with the Strada but I have no idea why. The cross section dimenisons and shape seem identical as far as I can tell. It slides into the frame just as easily as the Charlie post. If anyone else knows the reason, please let us know what the issue is.

I'm still waiting for the Ritchey clamps. When it comes in, I'll share the total weight and impressions. Very promising seatpost upgrade for the Strada.

New RaceMax seatpost fit in my Strada perfectly.
New RaceMax seatpost fit in my Strada perfectly.
Not a bad weight for an aero seatpost.
Not a bad weight for an aero seatpost.