3T Strada sub 6kg goal with cable disc and mechanical shifting

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

easyv

by easyv

Gx3 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:58 pm
I will continue to enjoy following this build thread - lots of great ideas and implemenation.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone heard any updates from Darimo on making their version of the seat post and saddle clamp for the Strada? I used 2 different email addresses to register my interest in the product, for whatever that's worth.
Pinged them last week and this is the response I received:

Unfortunately I can’t confirm date exactly. We want to have it during this year but I can’t confirm exactly when will be available. Like always we will inform all of you through our social media pages.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

easyv

by easyv

Would love to see how your Ratio install goes and your experience with the Rotor cassette. Would could argue would just be easier if you just went full SRAM AXS if you really wanted 12 speeds but then again, what's the fun in that?!? :)

takolino

by takolino

@Gx3, here's the reply I got from Vicent at Darimo a few weeks ago.

Thank you for contact with us and your interest in our products.
In this moment, I can't tell you when th Seatpost for 3T Strada due will be available. We are currently developing the mold and It is a long and very meticulous proces.
Maybe in 2021.

Maybe??? That is a very noncommittal reply. I wouldn't hold your breath. Not sure why he said due. Either way, same post. Easyv's contact seems a bit more optimistic.

On the other hand, has anyone tried the new 3T seatpost with the Rithey WCS clamps? Much lighter than the boat anchors but not quite as light as a Darimo. They were supposed to start shipping this year. A solid option if you can't wait another year.

takolino

by takolino

easyv wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:24 am
Would love to see how your Ratio install goes and your experience with the Rotor cassette. Would could argue would just be easier if you just went full SRAM AXS if you really wanted 12 speeds but then again, what's the fun in that?!? :)
Exactly! I always find a more difficult way to get what I want. It is actually fun for me.
I should have the Rotor cassette hopefully soon and I'll report back. Got a good deal from Germany.
Initially I looked at AXS but the rear derailleur is made of lead.
I could, however save a bit more weight with XG 1290 10-33 cassette and 46t chainring. For now, sticking with 50t chainring.

Gx3

by Gx3

takolino wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:32 am

In this moment, I can't tell you when th Seatpost for 3T Strada due will be available. We are currently developing the mold and It is a long and very meticulous proces.
Maybe in 2021.

Maybe??? That is a very noncommittal reply. I wouldn't hold your breath. Not sure why he said due. Either way, same post. Easyv's contact seems a bit more optimistic.

On the other hand, has anyone tried the new 3T seatpost with the Rithey WCS clamps? Much lighter than the boat anchors but not quite as light as a Darimo. They were supposed to start shipping this year. A solid option if you can't wait another year.
I heard there was a new seatpost for the Exploro, but I didn't know there was a new one with the Ritchey clamps for the Strada. Do you know where that one can be purchased? If it's available, I would definitely like to try it out.

saverin

by saverin

This was covered earlier/in another thread and the consensus seems to be that we don't know, and neither does 3T. I've had conflicting info from 3T customer support if it exists or not. Haven't had any updates in the last couple months though...
Gx3 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:07 pm
takolino wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:32 am

Maybe in 2021.

I heard there was a new seatpost for the Exploro, but I didn't know there was a new one with the Ritchey clamps for the Strada. Do you know where that one can be purchased? If it's available, I would definitely like to try it out.

Toybota

by Toybota

I just order the frameset as well.
Does it come with headset expander?

Thanks

takolino

by takolino

Yes. The frameset should include everything needed to assemble the frameset, a fairly standard kit of parts including headset, expander, top cap, cable ports for both mechanical and electronic shifting, some foam hose for the brake lines and a boat anchor for a seatpost. :)
Did I forget anything? oh yea, thru axles. They are pretty light.

takolino

by takolino

Toybota wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Thanks
And, congrats on the frameset purchase. I hope you enjoy it!

Toybota

by Toybota

takolino wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 pm
Toybota wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Thanks
And, congrats on the frameset purchase. I hope you enjoy it!
Thank You :D

Skandy32

by Skandy32

takolino wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:12 am
Alright, I'm posting some photos here for the first time. It may be boreing though. Bike's not built yet.
This is an update on the 3D printed guides to run bare cable internally. I did around 4 iterations to get to this point and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I've installed them in the frame without glue and tested the right lever with the brakes and derailleur. Both guides feel smooth and they don't bend or move so the lever feel is good and shifting seems precise. I'll glue them in with a bit of epoxy so they stay put but still be removable if I end up changing my mind. You never know. I may end up giving up and going with 9170. :oops:

Here's the 3D printed parts with the teflon tubing inserts. I cut them in half so it's easier to rout the cables.
The Jagwire POP ferrules are perfect for inserting the teflon tube for the cable exit at the chain stays. They fit real tight.

Here's the guide inside the top tube. You can see the 3T cable port in the foreground. I was able to use the Jagwire ferrules here as well.

The rear guide inside the BB. Please excuse the dust from sanding ABS to fine tune the fit.

And, here's my Strada frame with the test setup. I got the right lever hooked up with the rear brake and derailleur so I can test the cable guides.

So far so good. After this, I'll build it up for a test ride to make sure everything works flawlessly. I'm also thinking about doing some decals to spice up the build. I may post some ideas if I'm feeling brave. More to come.
Hey, I'm also building up this frameset and agree that running a full outer cable through the frame a bit unnecessary - i love your mod here... is there any way i could buy a couple of sets of these little 3d printed bits from you? or buy the design file? Many thanks, Andy

takolino

by takolino

Hey Andy, I'm having technical issues with Grabcad but I'll try to share the files there. My username is takocycle. You'll need to buy the teflon tubes. I think i got it on amazon. specs should be in the previous posts. Fit will vary frame to frame so you may need to modify the parts once they are printed. Glue them in once you have them working flawlessly. You don't want cables grinding inside your frame. Use ABS FDM printing.

takolino

by takolino

Alright, so back to the latest upgrades on my Strada.
The 12 speed Rotor cassette arrived last week and then I realized I need to order a 12 speed chain. Looking at ZFC recommendations, I decided to get the YBN 12 speed oil slick chain. (apparently, that's the only color guaranteed to be the 5th gen improved version) So I just waxed it with the new AB Graphene wax that just arrived a couple of weeks ago and it's ready to install.
freshly waxed with AB Graphene
freshly waxed with AB Graphene
The Rotor cassette did not come with a spacer. It seems to be designed to fit a MTB HG hub since there's about a 2mm gap at the base of the freehub when mounted. The instructions were for a road hub, however, there's no mention of a spacer. When the lockring is tightened, the cassette seems secure and the gap remains so this cassette seems to work with both hub types without a spacer.
slightly over the claimed weight of 225g
slightly over the claimed weight of 225g
The Ratio Technology 12 speed ratchet requires the levers to be removed from the handlebar since the main pin that holds the shifter together can only be axcessed through the contact area with the bars. The good news is the ratchet can be swapped without rerouting the cables. So no need to remove the BB. Phew!
Their video is a great visual guide to do the swap. Very simple and can be done in less than 15 minutes. Hardest part was getting the levers back onto the bars while inserting the cable housings back into the lever ferrules. Had to rewrap the bars but the quality bar tape that I used came off without tearing.
the two parts look similar albeit with one extra tooth.
the two parts look similar albeit with one extra tooth.
levers are well designed so it's easy to work on.
levers are well designed so it's easy to work on.
The new ratchet weighs only a gram more.
The new ratchet weighs only a gram more.
My doubletap lever now shifts one extra gear. I clicked through the range and it feels like it did before. This is a unique but one of the most functional upgrade parts I've seen lately. They are 3d printed from metal but seem good enough to do the job. Kudos to Ratio Technology. This is a great mod for 1X road giving you wider range without huge gaps. The Rotor 11-36 cassette is reasonably light, has 1 tooth spacing for the first 5 cogs and when mated to a 50t chainring, you get a range comparable to running 11-25 on a compact. This makes my Strada more versatile since I can take it on steeper climbs and longer rides. Ride report will be coming soon.

easyv

by easyv

Very nice! You're definitely pushing the boundaries compared to other 3T Strada owners on this forum. Look forward to your ride report!

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

That ratio technology ratchet is wizardry, I can't believe I've never heard of it before! Unsure if I'd ever need to upgrade to 12 speed, but at this price point it makes it really tempting. Did you buy the upgrade kit and only use the ratchet? I guess all you need is the ratchet, new cassette and chain? That's brilliant.

This thread just gets better and better

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com