DengFu FM208 build (7.095kg)- no more WW.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Seat clamp came in. Saved about 20g. Looks like my scale only measues in 5g increments. Waiting for the top cap/expander plug. Debating ordering another seatpost/saddle combo for drillium experiments.

Got the RD indexed to the ZTTO cassette and it works pretty well now so that's permanent. Also got an 88mm clincher rear wheel for the trainer to use with my trainer tire. Looks bad ass! Waiting for my schedule to open up for a maiden ride.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

So my AE top cap/expander came in, but it doesn't expand wide enough to make contact with the fork tube. Is this a common thing? Are there any name brand equivalents I can get?

It does look like I can cut it down a little bit to get more thread depth to push the expander out more but I will have to work on that later. In any case this would have been good for another 28g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

cheapvega wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:18 am
So my AE top cap/expander came in, but it doesn't expand wide enough to make contact with the fork tube. Is this a common thing? Are there any name brand equivalents I can get?
If the expander is a copy of the Extralite Ultrastar, check out this post of mine.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:14 am
cheapvega wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:18 am
If the expander is a copy of the Extralite Ultrastar, check out this post of mine.
I checked the post but I'm still a little confused. Where did you get the custom wedge nut? Hell even a wedge washer could work.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

cheapvega wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:54 pm
I checked the post but I'm still a little confused. Where did you get the custom wedge nut? Hell even a wedge washer could work.
My neighbor - a machinist - was kind enough to make a custom wedge nut. I understand not everynone has access to appropriate tools/people, so sorry for not a very useful reply.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

OK. No worries. I ordered the J&L one. Hopefully it arrives before next winter.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

J&L top cap came in but in playing with it I realized there was a second adjustment for the stopper width on the original. Anyway, I shed another 29g.

I think I might cap this build off here and just enjoy the bike... I got to thinking about changing wheels for that last ~120g, but then I got to thinking I eventually want to move over to disc brakes so I might as well start saving money for that build. Then I will get a wheelset with an XDR hub and go 1x. I've learned a lot about weight weenieing with this so I have a better plan of attack for the next go round. Plus hopefully more Aethos like options hit the market which will make disc builds more palatable. If I can start with a sub 800g disc frame I will be good to go.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Weather broke and I was able to get the bike to "outdoor" spec for a ride. Scale confirmed 6.140kg. Bike feels so light! I am so out of shape though

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I think I found a path to redemption

Got a new saddle which should chop 40g
Debating going 1x. I have the new cassette (+10g) and will probably lop 80-90g by ditching the FD, bracket and cabling
If I stay 2x it will be harder. But I can change my rim tape (-30g), chop my seatpost shorter (~20g?), and worst comes to worst get a Darimo stem (-50-60g). Maybe get CF chainrings

Sub 6 is definitely within reach

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Currently sitting at 6 flat with the new seat and a very cheap Aliexpress 46T narrow wide chainring. Once I remove the front shifter cable and housings I should be under 6kg. Didn't think it would be that easy. I'll update the build once it's all done.

Arka

by Arka

newbie question - is going 1x simply taking out the inner chainring or is it a specific chainring required?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Arka wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:34 pm
newbie question - is going 1x simply taking out the inner chainring or is it a specific chainring required?
You can go 1x any way you like, really. It usually follows like this:
1. Pick a cassette with enough capacity for your terrain of choice. Wider for hills/mountains, narrower for flat.
2. Make sure the RD is compatible with the cassette. Clutched RDs prevent chain drops and silence chain bounce.
3. Choose an appropriate chainring size. Can be 1x-specific (narrow-wide for less chain drops) or regular (the outer 50t, for example).
A couple of years ago I went 1x with a 9-32 3T Bailout cassette and a 1x 38t chainring, not a single regret ever since.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I think the next move is a rear wheel build with an XDR hub and Berd spokes. Not sure how much weight it would shave once cassettes are involved but being able to go down to 9T and eventually 12 speeds would be nice. 12 speed cassette choices are pretty slim pickings though. Hopefully Shimano getting onboard will open the floodgates

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

lol this is quickly going out of control. much has changed since i last visited! youve lost more than 200g i see. congrats!

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Thanks! Definitely borrowed some parts and ideas from your build. Going to pull that front shifter cable once I get time to do some maintenance. I think it's time to put together an AE WW cheat sheet. Lots of great cheap parts on there that make a big difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com