Dear Diary: My 2020 Trek Domane SL7 Must Go on a Diet

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Agreed.

Anyway, I'm about 2 wks away from finishing. I have some parts stuck in the US and working to get that shipped soon

Now that's someone taken interest in the boulder block of a wheelset I can create an order for some custom wheels soon, hoping to stay under 1500g

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm
Now that's someone taken interest in the boulder block of a wheelset...
Are you referring to the Aeoulus Pro 3Vs? While they aren't weight-weenie wheels, I think they're a really nice wheelset for the money when compared to the other major brand's offerings and are about the weight you'd expect for the price. For those looking for a "one wheelset that can do anything", I think these wheels fit-the-bill. However, in WW-world... :wink:

I plan on keeping the 3Vs even if I get new wheels and designating them as my gravel / trail wheels with some fatter tires. That way I won't feel bad if they get all nicked-up with stones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Light Bicycle with DT240 EXP is also one wheelset for everything and much lighter:) Anyway keep going, weightweenism is long and addictive disease..best is to make a part list with weights and you will see yourself. Because usually the devil is in details..Besides obvious things like saddle etc heavy can be strange small things like headset expander, bar tape, tubes, tyres, bottle cages, garmin holder...btw i can recommend xtr rotors if you are in doubts

g32ecs

by g32ecs

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:20 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm
Now that's someone taken interest in the boulder block of a wheelset...
Are you referring to the Aeoulus Pro 3Vs? While they aren't weight-weenie wheels, I think they're a really nice wheelset for the money when compared to the other major brand's offerings and are about the weight you'd expect for the price. For those looking for a "one wheelset that can do anything", I think these wheels fit-the-bill. However, in WW-world... :wink:

I plan on keeping the 3Vs even if I get new wheels and designating them as my gravel / trail wheels with some fatter tires. That way I won't feel bad if they get all nicked-up with stones.
They're Bontrager Affinity TLRs. I'm sure they're at the 2000g mark. I have the SL5s, stocked with 105s.

All that's left right now literally is the stem and handlebar. Everything else Ive sold off, lol.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Has anyone weighed the framesets for the 2020 SL and SLRs? According to Trek's web site, the 56cm framesets have the following weights:
If those numbers are accurate and the difference between an SL and SLR frameset is only ~0.3 lbs (~136g), then dang... that makes me happy that I didn't splurge for the SLR!!! I don't need (or even want) the adjustable rear ISO decoupler and have found that the top-of-the-line carbon doesn't make a noticeable difference to me.. at least it didn't on my Boone 9 frameset of my previous bike.

If those weights are remotely correct, then it's safe to assume most of the weight differences between the complete SLR and SL bikes are in the components, not the frame like I originally thought.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 pm
...According to Trek's web site, the 56cm framesets have the following weights:
Those weights are heartbreaking in WW world. I am sure the bike is a nice ride but those weights make me wonder what is the point. Steel frames often weigh less. What is going on? 10 years ago this site would have savagely ridiculed a 2kg frameset.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Those weights are heartbreaking in WW world. I am sure the bike is a nice ride but those weights make me wonder what is the point. Steel frames often weigh less. What is going on? 10 years ago this site would have savagely ridiculed a 2kg frameset.
A couple of things are going on...

1. I'm getting older and getting tired of being physically abused by my light weight but very rigid bikes of the past. :( In the end, if I don't actually enjoy riding my bike at all, the fact that it's super light isn't so exciting and doesn't serve me much beyond bragging rights.

2. In terms of speed, weight is no longer the top-dog as it once was (unless you're building a dedicated climbing bike). At higher speeds, being aero will result in more gains that weight will (to a point, I'm sure).

3. The rise of the "endurance bike" in just the past few years and the related research around it's development has shown that depending on the riding surface, comfort (i.e., less rider fatigue) will actually result in a faster ride than an ultra-light, ultra-stiff bike will. Where I ride, many of the roads feel darn near like cobble stones, so I appreciate my bike being able to take some of the abuse rather than transfering all vibrations to my body.

4. More recent wind-tunnel testing (within the last decade) is showing that wider rims are tires are actually more aero and provide a better ride than the pencil-width rims and tires of the past. Of course, there's a weight penalty to be paid for going wider, but apparently the net result is a performance gain (once again, maybe not if you're building a climbing bike). Heck, when I was 20, I used to ride 21mm tires at over 100psi thinking I was "fast" and paying the price for it in terms of comfort and even traction. I now roll 32mm wide tires and won't go back!

All the above points are obviously more about overall performance and comfort vs pure weight savings. Perhaps we need a new web site that is "Endurance Weenies w/ a Mild Case of Weight Weenie Syndrome"? :P

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The stock Bontrager expander plug is 27g. Not too portly, compared to some others, and it is very stable, compared to some of the other options out there. I've never tried the Carbon-Ti plug, but it is more stable than the Extralite UltraStar 3. I would leave the expander toward the end, because it' really a minimal loss compared to the cost.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I hear ya PoorinRichfield, but this is exactly what I am getting at.

1. Sure, aero trumps weight, but aero shouldn't weigh over 2 kg. (The Domane isn't exactly an aero bike. How much drop to you plan to run anyway?)

2. Light should not equate with lack of comfort at all these days. Builders can and do make very comfortable sub 1000 gram frames and 300 gram forks. Besides, comfort has relatively little to do with the frame. There is research that shows that tires are 10 times more effective at providing comfort than a seatpost, which in turn is 10 times more effective then the frame. And if we bring the saddle into the equation, well...

3. Wide tires and rims also do not automatically mean a siginificant weight penalty. Easy and relatively cheap to get to 1400 grams or less with around 20mm internal. Most 28mm tires will measure around 30mm on such rims. 65 psi is now a possibility for many. And of course this has nothing to do with frame weight.

I don't want to be Buzz Killington. The bike is nice, and if it weren't for the geometry I am sure I would enjoy owning one. But you offerred up some points that are debatable so...

And a minor point, no need to "inform" a WW who has been a member for 15 years with close to 4000 posts about the basics of tires, aero etc. Good odds they will already know and you will save some typing time.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 pm
And a minor point, no need to "inform" a WW who has been a member for 15 years with close to 4000 posts about the basics of tires, aero etc. Good odds they will already know and you will save some typing time.
Right back at you. This isn't my first bike and not the first Domane post on these forums. I think your time would be best spent elsewhere since the Domane is not of interest to you.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 pm

Disk happened and gravel happened...g r a v e l...
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Disk happened and gravel happened...g r a v e l...
The 3T Exploro RaceMax is plenty gravel oriented, clearing up to 61mm tires, and has a claimed frame weight of 1050g.

Sorry, but I also don't get why the weight is so high on a premium frameset like this. They must feel the market for the Domane is the casual comfort oriented crowd. People who are itching to squeeze out the marginal gains or shave time off in competition can't overlook that kind of heft. That's an extra kilo to drag up the sharp gravel climbs.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm
The 3T Exploro RaceMax is plenty gravel oriented, clearing up to 61mm tires, and has a claimed frame weight of 1050g.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fast-su ... 00530.html

> Weight: 19.3 lb. (size 54)

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fast-su ... 00530.html

> Weight: 19.3 lb. (size 54)
If you read to the end, it says the size 54 frame is claimed at 1100g and fork is a hefty 470g. Still ~700g lighter than the SLR Domane frame set. That's 1.5lbs less, all else being equal. And the 3T is proper gravel aero, has a massive down tube to shield bottles (75mm) and can clear much larger tires.

There must be a lot of weight in the comfort bits on the Domane. It's that simple. A frame can be large, aero, comfortable, and light weight. Trek just prioritized making the Domane that much more comfortable at the cost of significantly increasing weight.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:37 pm
There must be a lot of weight in the comfort bits on the Domane. It's that simple. A frame can be large, aero, comfortable, and light weight. Trek just prioritized making the Domane that much more comfortable at the cost of significantly increasing weight.
No one is disagreeing with you. I suspect the storage container in the down tube and the ISO decouplers are the reason for the weight. If you poke a huge hole in a structural member of the bike (in this case, the downtube), it'll have to be heavily reinforced. The Madone and Emonda don't have this storage box... time will tell if it gets added or not (or deleted from future Domanes).

I suspect the next generation of Domane will magically be a bit lighter... giving all of us one more reason to sell another kidney to get the latest model :lol: