Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:43 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 pm
And a minor point, no need to "inform" a WW who has been a member for 15 years with close to 4000 posts about the basics of tires, aero etc. Good odds they will already know and you will save some typing time.
Right back at you. This isn't my first bike and not the first Domane post on these forums. I think your time would be best spent elsewhere since the Domane is not of interest to you.
That's alright, I have tons of time to spend on the Domane right now - it's raining today so I am not riding. I have owned three Treks, still have two. The Domane is of great interest to me. I seriously considered a Domaine as my winter bike. In the end the geometry was too short and upright for me and I wasn't going to go heavy if the geo wasn't perfect. It is 100s of grams heavier then my Boone which should not be the case IMO.
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Disk happened and gravel happened...g r a v e l...
Yup, this is it. Manufacturers have found other features to sell on, and are thus able to avoid facing the challenges of making light bikes. It can be done and I for one will continue to reward those manufacturers who can give me comfort and speed at a low weight. I am really not asking for too much in this era of extraordinary composite technology.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Disk happened and gravel happened...g r a v e l...
The 3T Exploro RaceMax is plenty gravel oriented, clearing up to 61mm tires, and has a claimed frame weight of 1050g.
Yeah, the frameset is OK, but other necessary parts, like wheels and brakes, are hardly featherweight.

Here is a comment from cyclingtips.com about the 3T Exploro:

"Actual weight in the burlier 650b trim is 8.82 kg (19.44 lb) without pedals or accessories, while the 700c setup is nearly a full kilo lighter at 8.1 kg (17.86 lb)."

Now 8.1kg is not particularly heavy for a gravel cruncher like the new 3T, in fact my commuter weighs as much, but this thread is about how heavy premium road bikes are getting and why.

The 3T demonstrates the extreme position of where road could go and how much of a world away that is from road bikes from say 10 years ago with 22mm tyres and super stiff everything.

By the way, I'm not saying one is better than the other, they are very different animals and provide a very different riding experience.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Part of the issue is that for those of us that don't work at a bike store (and even if we did), we can't try every bike ever made and see if it works for us. The 3T and a handful of other bikes look great on paper, but until it's under me for a few hundred miles, everything is speculation. I have a few miles on my Domane and I love it... and I come from a previous Domane and a Boone 9.

Anywho... If you'd like to discuss the merits of which endurance bike is lighter, please start your own post (they're free!) I'd like this post to be reserved for those who own a Domane and are doing things to lighten it up. I can't stop anyone from posting here and don't intend to, but please stay on-topic.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Indeed, back on topic. It was mentioned previously to look at LightBicycle wheels. I second that advice. Sub $1000 US can get you below 1400 grams. If you spend a bit more you can hit 1200 grams with their new AR35 flyweight rims. It really is the easiest way to lose serious weight quick. The quality of the product is up there with the name brands. And better service than most.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

For one, I'm thankful to the WW forums for the super long thread on the Light Bicycle wheels. I didn't even know that brand existed until I found the thread. Being a somewhat "Trek fanboy" (I live an hour away from Trek HQ) and a fan of Bontrager wheels, I figured I would just have to wait until someone sold a used set of Bontrager Aeolus XXX wheels before I could get a light weight wheel set within my budget. However, with Light Bicycle wheels, I think I can potentially do a bit better than the XXX wheels for less than half the cost :shock:

I'm currently looking at the Light Bicycle WR series of disc wheels (not sure on the depth, yet). Reason being is that this whole "wider is better" thingy in wheel design is one of those things that "you have to try to believe". When Trek released the Aelous Pro 3V (25mm internal width / high volume) wheelset, my first thought was "great... marketing hyped wheels... pass." However, now that I've ridden on them, I'm completely sold.

tomato

by tomato

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 pm
Has anyone weighed the framesets for the 2020 SL and SLRs? According to Trek's web site, the 56cm framesets have the following weights:
If those numbers are accurate and the difference between an SL and SLR frameset is only ~0.3 lbs (~136g), then dang... that makes me happy that I didn't splurge for the SLR!!! I don't need (or even want) the adjustable rear ISO decoupler and have found that the top-of-the-line carbon doesn't make a noticeable difference to me.. at least it didn't on my Boone 9 frameset of my previous bike.

If those weights are remotely correct, then it's safe to assume most of the weight differences between the complete SLR and SL bikes are in the components, not the frame like I originally thought.
Wow, those weights are incredible.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Updated original post...

Just ordered a new Bontrager Affinity Pro Carbon saddle for ~$80 on eBay @ 157g. I've had good luck with the shape of my previous Affinity saddles, so hopefully this one will make my tushy happy and shave a few grams at the same time. For those of you who might be new to carbon rail saddles and Trek bikes, this also means I need to get new 7x10mm "ears" for the seat post as carbon railed saddles are a bit deeper than a metal rail saddle.

I also added that I recently swapped-out the 175mm cranks that came with the bike with 165mm cranks, both Ultegra R8000. This wasn't really a weight savings swap, but saving a few grams is an added benefit of doing so. So far, the shorter cranks haven't made my life worse that I can tell... I forgot about the shorter length within about a mile of my first ride with them.

sennder

by sennder

I built my 2018 Domane SLR Rim brake with a somewhat budget weightweenie approach.

I went with full Ultegra R8000 + Bontrager bits.
I initially got Bontrager XXX VR-C handlebars for $180 (~180g) but those were not the most comfortable. Swapped them out for 3T Superergo LTD (~165g). Best upgrade for the bike since purchase. Went for Bontrager Pro Blendr stem (~130g). New Bontrager Affinity Pro Carbon saddle (~$157g) for $100. Bontrager Paradigm Elite wheels (~1500g) for $700. Mostly because they are decently wide internal and external, not too heavy, and use DTSwiss 240 internals. Running Conti GP4000 SII 25mm in the front and GP5000 28mm (non TL) in the rear. Started off with R8000 pedals but switched them out for Assioma Duos (300g).

My bike sits at just around 7.0kg without pedals, computer and bottle cage. Around 7.4 with everything. It could easily go sub 6.8 with lighter wheels (thinking a good set of Light Bicycle wheels in the future) and Dura Ace but I'm perfectly happy with the way it is (for now...).

How much does your bike weigh right now?

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

sennder wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:55 pm
I built my 2018 Domane SLR Rim brake with a somewhat budget weightweenie approach.
My bike sits at just around 7.0kg without pedals, computer and bottle cage.
Being a 2018 model, I *think* you were able to start with a lighter frame than the 2020 model as your bike has no downtube storage. It also has a different version of the front ISO decoupler of which I'm not sure how heavy that is.

7.0kg (15.5 lbs) would be a dreamy weight for the 2020 model as far as I know :D I don't have a remotely accurate scale in my house and can't really justify buying an official bike scale just to weigh my one bike, so to answer yoru question, I don't really know it's actual weight other than it just feels noticeably heavier than all other bikes in my stable. I'm waiting for a postal scale to arrive so I can at least measure the parts before and after to see what weight is being shed.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Post Deleted. User warned.

sennder

by sennder

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 pm
sennder wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:55 pm
My bike sits at just around 7.0kg without pedals, computer and bottle cage.
Being a 2018 model, I *think* you were able to start with a lighter frame than the 2020 model as your bike has no downtube storage. It also has a different version of the front ISO decoupler of which I'm not sure how heavy that is.

7.0kg (15.5 lbs) would be a dreamy weight for the 2020 model as far as I know :D I don't have a remotely accurate scale in my house and can't really justify buying an official bike scale just to weigh my one bike, so to answer yoru question, I don't really know it's actual weight other than it just feels noticeably heavier than all other bikes in my stable. I'm waiting for a postal scale to arrive so I can at least measure the parts before and after to see what weight is being shed.
My frameset should be around 600-700 grams lighter (no downtube storage (but it does have the access box), old rear adjustable isospeed decoupler, etc.).

I use a luggage scale to measure my bike. I have no way to measure parts. I just use manufacturer claimed weights as reference. My next two upgrades, if they happen, will be wheelset and ultegra di2. I've actually been looking at Light Bicycle wheelsets with the new 240 hubs as well. I personally want to hold off on groupset upgrades till I know where Shimano is going with 12 speed. I'll probably stick with 11 speed for cross-compatibility with my gravel bike though.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

sennder wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm
I personally want to hold off on groupset upgrades till I know where Shimano is going with 12 speed.
That sounds wise since Di2 isn't exactly cheap. I predict we'll see a Dura-Ace 12-speed with a micro-spline freehub (like XTR has) next year with Shimano's 150th Anniversary.

What I've learned from the mountain bike world is that even if the 12-speed cassette is introduced, it's still a safe-bet that your existing 10/11 speed wheels will work provided you update the freehub. I have an old mountain bike with a 10-speed Industry 9 hub and was shocked to find-out that I can get a new freehub (which I did) to mount a 12 speed cassette. However, with Di2, you'd need a new freehub, front and rear derailleurs, and shifters... all the expensive bits.

Another thought I had while contimplating 12-speed upgrades is: Do I need 1 more gear? Quite frankly, I love my existing 11-speed and I'm not sure that I need another gear. If going to a 1x setup, then absolutely "yes", but a 22-speed over a 24-speed... I'm not sure, especially since the 12-speed stuff will likely weigh more. The 12-speed XT/XTR cassettes are super-heavy because they're designed for 1x setups and have HUGE top gears on them. Anyway, I'm babbling...

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Friend of mine just bought the same for general mixed terrain / winter use. He has made afew changes.

wolftooth 1x upfront
Extralite stem
Bonti tubeless tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Postal scale and new seat arrived, so let the weight weenying begin!

New saddle was purchased on eBay for what I think was a good price and it looks really nice. However, I sure hope my undercarriage is compatible with it... it's pretty hard!

Stock saddle - Bontrager Arvada Comp, steel rails, 138mm width - 296g

New saddle - Bontrager Affinity Pro, carbon rails, 138mm wdith - 166g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

For those of you who are building a new Domane, the seat post mast comes in two lengths with two offsets. I found it really odd that on my 58cm frame, I had the seat mast all the way down and that was just barely low enough for my 6'1" person?!?! Through an odd series of events, I was able to trade the long, matte black seat post mast my bike came with for the shorter verison in glass black. While the weight difference is barely anything, it is a difference! With the shorter mast, the tightening bolt is in the middle of it's adjustable range instead of at the bottom so I feel it's more appropriate for me... and a tad lighter!

I highly recommend not putting this on your list of weight savings purchases due to the price... which is insane:

Trek Domane SL Color-Matched Carbon Internal Seat Mast Cap - $275 :shock:

Long Domane Seat Mast - 186g

Short Domane Seat Mast - 172g