Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

easyv

by easyv

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:49 am
dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:33 am
-Pedals. If you are not emotionally tied to a particular brand, Time XPro 15 in Ti are the lightest there is, fantastic, and super comfortable as well.
aliexpress speedplay - 159g
xpedo thrust sl - 164g
time xpro 15 - 174g

I am sure there is some ww option significantly lighter than all of these.
Maybe dgasmd meant the Time Xpresso 15, which is no longer in production, but if you can find a pair, has a manufacturer claimed weight of 133g / pr.

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/t2gr0 ... er%20pedal.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Any new updates with your build? I'm probably counting down 1.5 wks for myself now if everything goes well

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:32 pm
Any new updates with your build? I'm probably counting down 1.5 wks for myself now if everything goes well
I ordered a set of Light Bicycle WR50 wheels last week... now the long wait begins until they arrive :cry:

I'm currently trying to decide what to do about brake rotors. I'm definitely going with XTR rotors, but haven't quite decided if I should go 160mm front / 140mm rear or just 140mm front and rear. I just learned that the UCI requires 160/140 as of not too long ago, which explains why new bikes and race bikes are using rotors of those sizes. However, since I don't race, I'm thinking I may just go 140/140 and see if I like it.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Cool!

We're in the same boat. Im waiting on my wheelset as well, ordered last week. I just got my notification to pick up a bulk of my parts. I have a few bits to still buy/waiting on - thru axles (of all things), hoses, my stem from Spain is taking abnormally long

Whats the estimated weight of your wheelset? I wish I had more funds for some lighter hubs, but Im literally on my last legs of my budget and opted for Novatecs. Perhaps I'll fund for some DT240s or 180s in the future and just do a wheel rebuild but that won't be in a while.

Perhaps I should start my own build thread as well in the Gravel forum 🙂

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

New wheels arrived today... WR50s with flyweight carbon and a bit of bling-bling 'cause we all know that a bit of bling makes you (psychologically) faster 8)

Total weight: 1,354g

I'll weigh the Bontrager 3Vs that are on the bike when I take them off. I'm going to order some different valve stems for these wheels before I mount them. Also note the smaller XTR rotors.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Got the wheels mounted and went for a beautiful 60+ mile ride in farm country to test out the new wheels. Bike weights just under 18.5 lbs with pedals, bottle cages, tubeless setup and a few Blendr mounts. After having put over 1,750 miles on the bike so far this year, I've loved every ride. This is by far the best bike I've every owned, even if it's not the lightest.

zmjones

by zmjones

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Disk happened and gravel happened...g r a v e l...
The 3T Exploro RaceMax is plenty gravel oriented, clearing up to 61mm tires, and has a claimed frame weight of 1050g.

Sorry, but I also don't get why the weight is so high on a premium frameset like this. They must feel the market for the Domane is the casual comfort oriented crowd. People who are itching to squeeze out the marginal gains or shave time off in competition can't overlook that kind of heft. That's an extra kilo to drag up the sharp gravel climbs.
if i recall correctly it is substantially heavier than the previous version of the domane (when it had only 30mm-ish clearances). maybe the isospeed got heavier? or the frame is a bit more durable? they also switched to t47 i believe. the shell undoubtedly gained a lot of weight from that.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

zmjones wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:42 pm
if i recall correctly it is substantially heavier than the previous version of the domane (when it had only 30mm-ish clearances). maybe the isospeed got heavier? or the frame is a bit more durable? they also switched to t47 i believe. the shell undoubtedly gained a lot of weight from that.
From the frame's pespective, I'm willing to bet the integrated storage box below the water bottle not only required additional reinforcement on the downtube, there is also the weight of the trim ring around the hole as well as the locking lever on the hole cover.

There are a host of things about the latest Domane that cause it to be heavier than previous generations than just the frame. Compared to my 2014 Domane, the 2014 model was more of a road bike than an endurance bike like the 2020 model is. Even though my 2014 model was considerably lighter, I'm enjoying my 2020 model much more.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

The search for the perfect saddle continued through-out the year and I have currently settled on a Fizik Antares R1 I got on eBay for about $120. This saddle was one of the two saddles recommended on the Fizik Saddle Finder and I'm very pleased with the weight as it's the lightest I've tried so far. I put quite few miles on it this summer and think "this is the one". 8) With every other saddle I tried, there was an almost instant feeling of, "I immediately don't like this saddle, I hope my comfort improves as the ride continues..." only to come back from my ride feeling like I had tolerated the saddle but didn't really like it. Not so with the R1.

I thought I'd hate the texture of the saddle, but it's actually perfect... just a little grippy but not too much. It does seem to hold dirt and smudge marks, though. Someday I'd like to try a printed saddle like the Fizik Antares Versus EVO R1 Adaptive (worst name ever), but until I get a pile of money I don't need to spend $300 on another saddle experiment, my saddle search has ended with this Antares R1.

Fizik Antares Versus EVO R1 Adaptive - 156g
Last edited by PoorInRichfield on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Not a weight-weenie mod, but my latest mod for Spring 2022... a little splash of "purple flip" color to an otherwise boring black bike...

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Replaced stock 11-speed with XTR 12-speed chain. Both chains shown below are the same length. 14 grams of savings... I'll be fast this summer! :lol:

11-speed chain - 250g

12-speed chain - 236g

What is a little disappointing is that my beloved Park chain breaker tool doesn't work with the 12-speed chain. The shape of the outer links has changed and the link won't slide into the tool. Had to use an el-cheapo chain breaker to size the chain correctly.
Last edited by PoorInRichfield on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

New saddle day. While the Fizik Antares R1 is an excellent and light weight saddle, it's been bothering me that it doesn't have a perineal relief channel in the middle. I sit on my butt all day for work and my prostate tells me that it really doesn't like it when I sit too much on an office chair, so I figure it probably doesn't like it when I sit for hours on my bike seat either. (Too much information I'm sure, but I'm sure I'm not the only one on these forums with a prostate!)

While there is an Fizik Antares "open" that has a relief channel, it's heavier than the non-open model and I'm not sold on the idea of having a hole in my saddle. After watching a review from a bike fitter that I like, I opted to go with the SQ Lab 612 Ergowave Carbon. I opted not to get the "active" version of the saddle (I.e., the version that has rubber shock absorbers on the rear rail mount) as reviews from some endurance riders didn't experience any benefit from the added active design.

Having just received the saddle, first thing I noticed is that it's crazy-light for a padded saddle at just 148 grams for the 140mm width. It also features a perineal relief area without a hole and the transition to the relief area isn't as extreme as it is on some saddles. I've found that my undercarriage doesn't like "split" saddles as I can feel the split and it's very uncomfortable.

First Ride Update: I did an indoor metric century (66 miles) on Zwift using the SQ Labs 612 and so-far-so-good. It definitely feels different than the Antares due to the slight incline in the saddle behind one's sit bones, but I had no problems transitioning to the new saddle and the relief channel in the middle was noticeable in that I obviously felt no pressure there and no discomfort.

SQLab 612 Ergowave Carbon - 148g
Last edited by PoorInRichfield on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Your bike has evolved nicely. I would look at getting a dual Blendr mount for your light (mounted lower) and your Garmin. Trek may have created a new out-front mount, but if not, you can get a 3D printed version, which I did for my Emonda.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:01 pm
Your bike has evolved nicely. I would look at getting a dual Blendr mount for your light (mounted lower) and your Garmin. Trek may have created a new out-front mount, but if not, you can get a 3D printed version, which I did for my Emonda.
Thanks! I actually own the dual Blendr mount which was how I originally had my bike setup. However, I've found my current setup more to my liking. With dual mount, the headlight is under the computer which makes it hard to verify if the light is actually 'on' and provides little room to push the light's power button. While I have my Garmin computer setup to automatically turn on the headlight once I start riding, I've found that doesn't always work and have been on quite a few rides where my headlight wasn't even 'on' (despite what my Garmin said) and I didn't know it. Also, mounting the computer to the stem is a much more solid connection and so I worry less about my computer somehow getting disloged via vibrations and being launched into orbit. :wink: