Cannondale Supersix HM Tri - 4.63kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Hey there,
I started my second weightweenies project, which consists in building a sub 5kg triathlon oriented bike. The goal is to use a road bike frame, and adapt bullhorn handlebars and aerobars to it. The bike will be mostly raced in Long distance triathlon events, ie. which includes long steep climbs and some flatter parts.

A few details on the project steps...
- Frameset is a 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo HM Team (such a classic on this forum, almost a must have)
- Fork is from a 2017 orange Supersix Evo HM
- Wheels are tubular AX Lightness Ultra Road 25T
- I plan to use a mix of boutique items: especially Ciamillo brakes, Tiso front derailleur, Gelu saddle, Aerolite pedals
- Together with light big brand name parts such as SRAM for the rear derailleur, shifters and cassette, Deda aerobars, Cannondale sisl2 cranks, FSA bearings
- Frame will be paint stripped, and stay with a bare carbon finish (a weightweenie tradition, I had to do that myself once in my life)

Here is the parts list of the final build, goal reached at 4.63kg:
Attachments
Parts List.JPG
Last edited by RouarierDmer on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tune Golden Rocket - 5.66kg | viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161531
Cannondale Supersix HM Tri - 4.63kg | viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161698

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

The only issue I see if the fit as a road bike being used as a triathlon bike. Aside from that, I love a good light build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Here are some frame pictures (size M - 54cm). I bought it directly from Cannondale Service Course. The bike was used by pro rider Sebastian Langeveld in 2015. I was told the frame is reinforced in some areas, in particular around bottom bracket area to cope with high watts constraints from pros. It means it is a bit heavier than normal, but I don't mind it too much as it also means increased rigidity. This frame was tested and selected by a ProTour team, so I am quite confident it is a reliable one.

Frame came at 901g (!) with the front derailleur hanger. Seeing similar frames on this forum, I hoped it would be below that, despite the reinforced body. Hopefully I can get a good chunk of the weight away as I will be sanding down the paint, and it is a very thick one. I guess that was to keep it UCI weight legal at 6.89kg. The aluminum bottom bracket shell also looks heavy, maybe there is a way to replace it by a lighter one?

Fork is at 344g, which is quite heavy by today's standards of lightness. That's why I will do the classic swap for a more recent HM fork.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

BmanX wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:19 pm
The only issue I see if the fit as a road bike being used as a triathlon bike. Aside from that, I love a good light build.
You are right. I plan to replicate the position I have on my triathlon time trial bike, or at least something close to it. Maybe using an angled seatpost to compensate for the less steep seat angle on the Supersix frame... This if I cannot get enough fore adjustment with the saddle. In the end I will most likely spend more time on the handlebars (climbing position) than in the aero position, so a compromise between both alternatives would probably be the best option.

BmanX

by BmanX

I think a zero offset post would be best if possible. This way you keep the balance of the bike as much as possible and just rotate your position back a little. Doing this means you are more upright but still able to hold aero. It is still aero but will not be as aero as a full on tt/tri set up. Like second best.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Here are the tools I am using for the sanding job:

- A rotary sander with sandpapers of various grit sizes. I am using P120 grit to cut through the clear coat, then moving my way up to P400 and P800. I find it faster than the blade on the main frame tubes to be honnest. That way you get some of the bulk sanding done before moving to more precise sanding. Mask and glasses mandatory as it makes a lot of dust, and you wouldn't want to inhale carbon dust, trust me.
- The Stanley knife, aka my new best friend :mrgreen: It makes a screeching noise when you scratch the paint, but it is efficient and by far the most fun and popular aspect of the job. I used 5 razorblades for the full frame + fork. I did not bother resharpening them as they are so cheap. In the process, it produces paint chips instead of dust so that is also a positive aspect.
- Sandpaper with different grit sizes. I am applying it manually in places that the sander and Stankey knife can't reach, and for finishes with P1000 or P1200.

Now believe me, it takes a lot of time to strip down paint from a frame when you do it for the first time, so you need a good amount of elbow grease, some patience (and passion). Honestly, I felt a bit like I was on a mission... and in the end it's rewarding. It's also a good personal experience.
Attachments
7.jpg

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

BmanX wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:49 pm
I think a zero offset post would be best if possible. This way you keep the balance of the bike as much as possible and just rotate your position back a little. Doing this means you are more upright but still able to hold aero. It is still aero but will not be as aero as a full on tt/tri set up. Like second best.
Thanks BmanX. Yes that is the ideal I will try to reach. With a zero offset seatpost I could still shorten the stem a little if needed. Knee position vs cleats will be a key element in that decision I guess.

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Partly sanded frame, using the rotary sander. That paint is so thick!! In some places you have some pink filler + primer + at least 3 layers of paint + clearcoat on top. Quite a time consuming job.
And yes, I'm sanding in my bathtub... :roll: For practicality, to fix the dust a bit and clean the frame from time to time.
Attachments
8.jpg

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Replacement fork from a 2017 Supersix HM (uncut). 73g saved vs the older model
Sanded down to bare carbon for an extra saving of 24g.
97g saved just on the fork before cutting it to size... not a bad start
Attachments
9.jpg
10.jpg

PinaRene

by PinaRene

As a Dutch guy I have to follow this. Love the fact it has been Sebastian's bike or frame.

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

PinaRene wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 am
As a Dutch guy I have to follow this. Love the fact it has been Sebastian's bike or frame.
Indeed PinaRene :D I will try and reach out to him when the project is finished to see what he thinks about his old bike.

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

Here is my Gelu Carbon Creation saddle. It is a P-2, which is the Triathlon specific model (wider saddle nose). I was directly in contact with Anghel Ivanof, he is a really nice person and very keen on building custom saddles on demand. I ordered one without decals and with a thin cork padding - a traditional material in Portugal where the saddles are made. It weights 77g in total (pretty close to the 75g claimed).
Overall I am satisfied about the build and delivery time. I am a big fan of the saddle aesthetics and I think the 3K carbon finishes really look stunning. For sure a testimony of good quality craftmanship!
I will post a review about it after some actual road testing if some of you are interested.
Attachments
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

easyv

by easyv

RouarierDmer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Here is my Gelu Carbon Creation saddle. It is a P-2, which is the Triathlon specific model (wider saddle nose). I was directly in contact with Anghel Ivanof, he is a really nice person and very keen on building custom saddles on demand. I ordered one without decals and with a thin cork padding - a traditional material in Portugal where the saddles are made. It weights 77g in total (pretty close to the 75g claimed).
Overall I am satisfied about the build and delivery time. I am a big fan of the saddle aesthetics and I think the 3K carbon finishes really look stunning. For sure a testimony of good quality craftmanship!
I will post a review about it after some actual road testing if some of you are interested.
Wow! That's a pretty cool looking custom saddle! Not sure how well the cork will wear but the personal touch is very nice.

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

easyv wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm
RouarierDmer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Wow! That's a pretty cool looking custom saddle! Not sure how well the cork will wear but the personal touch is very nice.
I have no previous experience with cork, so no clue whether it deteriorates or not. If so then I will peel it off and take off the glue to make it bare carbon.

RouarierDmer

by RouarierDmer

The bottom bracket metal sleeve looks heavy... Has anyone ever extracted one and replaced by a lighter solution?
Attachments
14.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com