2019 Cervélo R5 Rim - Emerald Green

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

borist

by borist

This project has been a long time coming.. I began putting a list together last year and only began ordering the parts in March. The goal was to have something light and responsive, but still reasonable for day to day use. I planned on racing this year, but with all that’s going on it might have to wait until next season. My ultimate weight goal was below 6.5kgs - something I was comfortable in hitting, it was more a question of how far under I would go.

The colorway is limited edition Emerald Green. It’s a great colour, but the finish was matte and I knew it wouldn't age well and would be hard to clean with all the vinyl logos. A local painter here was able to do a clear coat for me, and it only added 80g which was good news. I think it looks even better.

Needing a 58cm frame, I knew getting to the weight goal wasn’t going to be totally easy. Some parts I only wanted to buy once rather than upgrading later (Handlebars, Saddle), but I also had to compromise in other places (Seatpost, Crankset). I wanted some depth to the wheels which would sacrifice weight, but FWB was able to build these at 1300g which is a good medium.

This current build gets me to 6.4kgs. I know 6.0kgs is possible with some lighter wheels, a Darimo seatpost and a lighter crankset. We’ll see if that happens later in the year…. but for my size I think 6.4kgs is pretty awesome.

How does it ride? This thing is a rocket. I’m coming from a Focus Izalco Max and although that bike was amazing, this takes it to another level. Stiff in the right places, rolls when up to speed, dances when climbing… it does it all and more.

Thanks to everyone on here… this forum has been a massive inspiration, motivation and resource in putting this together. Glad to know I’m not alone in taking this a little too seriously :P

Most of these weights are commonly available, but if anyone is interested in something specific shoot me a DM. Total weight includes all of the below - i.e. computer mount, cages, pedals etc.

Final Build List
2019 Cervelo R5 - 58cm - Limited Edition Emerald Green (includes one clear coat)
Cervelo R5 Seatpost w FSA clamps (removed seatpost clamp cover)
Berk Dila 160mm Padded
3T Superergo 420mm Handlebars
Silca Nastro Fiore Tape (FWB Carbon plugs)
Extralite HyperStem - Stealth Black - 110mm 12deg
Extralite UltraStar 3 Expander Plug
Cane Creek Slamset Headset IS41/IS52
KCNC Hollow Headset Spacer 2mm
Wheels MFG BBright Ceramic BB
Dura-Ace 9100 Crankset, w 4iiii Precision Pro Dual PM - 52/36 175mm
Dura-Ace 9150 Di2 Shifters, Rim Brake
Dura-Ace 9150 Di2 Front Derailleur
Dura-Ace 9150 Di2 Rear Derailleur
Dura-Ace 9100 11-28 Cassette
KMC X11SL-TI Gold Chain
Dura-Ace Pedals
eeCycleworks G4 Brakes w SwissStop Black Prince pads
Jagwire Elite Brake Kit - Black
FSE 46mm Clinchers w Extralite Hubs, Sapim Ray spokes (built by FWB)
Vittoria Corsa G2.0 25mm (blows up to 27mm)
Turbolito Tubes
Tune Skewers
Alpitude SuperLeggero Cages x 2
K Edge Race Wahoo Bolt Aero Mount

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

A mighty fine build, and great call on the clear coat...matte paint jobs are evil.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

easyv

by easyv

Agree with jmfreeman535. Gorgeous looking frame that's a standout in a sea of matte black stealth bikes and the collection of parts are definitely worthy of a "dream build." I know what you mean about potentially going lighter but when you're already sub-UCI at 6.4kg? Enjoy it!

Craigweeks

by Craigweeks

Stunning. I have the same frame in disc awaiting a build. I'm also concerened with all of the vinyl graphics, clear coat could be the way to go!

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Awesome build. I've been searching for this NOS rim frame set myself for quite some time, but haven't had luck. Few disc frames of the emerald green out in my size, but rim's the way to go. Living vicariously through you. It's cool to see you took it all the way with the clear coat. I love the maintenance and finish of a glossy frame and will always take the hit to weight. Nice to hear it only adds 80g to a 58cm frame too. Great build.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It looks awesome! One of the best paint job I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Stunning build! Great decision with the clear coat. Money and weight well spent.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

A beautiful and really nicely thought out build.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Stunning. I love the color scheme! Enjoy it!

144Spencer

by 144Spencer

Damn that’s pretty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

borist

by borist

Thanks everyone :)
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 am
A mighty fine build, and great call on the clear coat...matte paint jobs are evil.
Seeing your R5 Disc gave me the conficence to go green. Slightly different colours, but both amazing.
maxim809 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 am
Awesome build. I've been searching for this NOS rim frame set myself for quite some time, but haven't had luck. Few disc frames of the emerald green out in my size, but rim's the way to go. Living vicariously through you. It's cool to see you took it all the way with the clear coat. I love the maintenance and finish of a glossy frame and will always take the hit to weight. Nice to hear it only adds 80g to a 58cm frame too. Great build.
I found it through Excel Sports, but they are pretty light on 2019 colours. I would hope Cervelo do some new ones for 2020 given it's unlikely they update the frame.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... =1&minor=1

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

That's absolutely stunning. I recently got a charcoal matte black R5 as a warranty replacement and while I love the bike I really can't get warm to the colour (which I had no choice over). I hadn't thought about a clearcoat, but that's something to look into, thanks for the idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

borist wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:59 pm
maxim809 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 am
I found it through Excel Sports, but they are pretty light on 2019 colours. I would hope Cervelo do some new ones for 2020 given it's unlikely they update the frame.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... =1&minor=1
Hehe, thanks! Totally the website I've been staring at for the last few months. I keep refreshing it thinking it'll change, but alas, I'm looking for the emerald green R5 in a 51cm rim brakes. Few months ago they had plenty of disc in the 51cm and I almost settled for it, but I'm just a rim brake fan that I couldn't pull the trigger. I think at this point, I'll likely never see this frame again so I'll just enjoy yours!

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

borist wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Seeing your R5 Disc gave me the conficence to go green. Slightly different colours, but both amazing.
Agree. I never would have thought that I'd be so into a green bike, but both are awesome...I am a bit partical to mine though :wink:
maxim809 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm
Hehe, thanks! Totally the website I've been staring at for the last few months. I keep refreshing it thinking it'll change, but alas, I'm looking for the emerald green R5 in a 51cm rim brakes. Few months ago they had plenty of disc in the 51cm and I almost settled for it, but I'm just a rim brake fan that I couldn't pull the trigger. I think at this point, I'll likely never see this frame again so I'll just enjoy yours!
I recommend taking advantage of the deal while you still can, and get the disk version...you won't regret it. It's a phenomenal bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

young

by young

great colorway. and agreed, matte is a pain to keep clean. also love the red rim brake frame. this is 2nd fav after classics colorway.