Evolving Evo. 2013 supersix evo himod goes under the knife..again!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

So I've had this supersix himod ultimate for a while. As it sits, its 7.4kg. I've ridden it like this for the past six or seven years, I figured it was a time for a refresh.
I wanted to get it under 6.8kg, and I wanted to change some ergonomics.... and I wanted to do it on a budget (well not QUITE, but I am looking for deals and I'm trying not to go overboard)... i want something that's safe, very functional, and reliable.

- so nothing exotic, mostly off the shelf stuff. I ended up picking up a new frame, but the problem was the old black/white parts (especially the cockpit) didn't match... AAAAND some parts came in heavier, some lighter. overall lighter... one step forward, two steps back.

-2010 himod frame, 56cm
- DA9000 C24 wheels, continental GP4000 700x25
- Rotor 3DF crankset with power2max powermeter
- DA7900 cassette and chain
- Ultegra 6770 di2
- Ultegra 6700 pedals
- 3T Dorico LTD seatpost
- 3T ARX Pro stem 100mm
- 3T Rotundo LTD 44cm
- fizik antares carbon rail (older version)

I didn't weigh stuff the first time, so I started weighing parts as I stripped the bike.

OLD COCKPIT:

bars came in at 180g

stem was 130g

seatpost was 180g

saddle was 210g

total of 700g
Last edited by theStig on Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theStig

by theStig

So, the new frame I bought was a totally different color scheme and I have a weakness for stuff that matches. Ordered whatever black friday deals I could get on some more current gear.

NEW COCKPIT

3T Ernova Team Stealth 42cm at 195g

3T Atpo Team Stealth stem 120mm, 155g

3T Zero team stealth seatpost ... 210g!!! ouch I'm going the wrong direction! the clamp is HEAAVVY. Are there any lightweight bits to tune it available?

Fizik Antares Versus Evo R1 carbon rail, large width.. it felt great on my Noah, so I got another one. 175g

735g!!! I'm going the wrong direction, already 35g heavier than the previous build. Maybe I'll cut off some seatpost to shed a few grams..maybe some Ti hardware? I think the apto stem already has Ti bolts? But at least it matches

I'm hoping the rest of the build will help drop some weight. Planned/waiting in the post are
- lightweight innertubes
- lightweight Ti skewers
- DA9100 pedals (swapping them over from my aero bike)
- dumping the ultegra bits, and going either DA9070 or DA9150, and upgrading to 11spd

the new frame allows for internal routing, so I'm dumping the external battery and hopefully that saves some weight too
old ext DI2 battery and battery mount 115g

new/new to me internal battery 50g

DJT21

by DJT21

Put that new seatpost in the bin; your original 3T Dorico Ltd is a far better design and 30g lighter. Remove the stripes/graphics if you want it to match.

welchy

by welchy

I'd echo the above comment, seatpost and stem seam like very backwards upgrades. Ti bolts will buy you maybe 10g max on the stem.

If you want 6.8g on a budget look at cost per g efficiently for your pocket. Lightweight tubes or latex if you want slightly lighter but better feel, maybe some Veloflex 23C or 25C tyres in older type as light, Deda bar tape, some form of Chinese carbon cage. Cut the steerer to the right length, Ti bolt anything. That should get you maybe 250/300g. A noticeable chunk for not too much money.

Thomson

by Thomson

On my cannondale synapse the standard c3 stem its 114.6g including bolt from what I read online. Also a SuperSix evo si expander cap saves 35grams for 25pound over the heavy standard part. That's 50g you could save. Then lighter bar tape and plugs for very little cost. 👍

theStig

by theStig

DJT21 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:29 am
Put that new seatpost in the bin; your original 3T Dorico Ltd is a far better design and 30g lighter. Remove the stripes/graphics if you want it to match.
The problem is old seatpost is 31.8 .. new frame needs 27.2 :(

theStig

by theStig

Got the old frame on the scale. size 56cm, with headset, bottom bracket bearings, controltech seatpost 31.8 seatpost clamp, shimano FD clamp, all bottle cage screws, a good bit of steerer and some carbon spacers..

1510g. I can't imagine all the hardware weighing that much, I need to fully strip the frame and weigh again, just kind of a pain to get the headset apart at the moment.

KCookie

by KCookie

Nice GTR by the way.
Definitely would go Deda tape, on my Darimo 40cm bars it was 23.9g. Very cheap to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

theStig

by theStig

thanks!

the deda tape does look nice.. how well does it wear?
KCookie wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:24 am
Nice GTR by the way.
Definitely would go Deda tape, on my Darimo 40cm bars it was 23.9g. Very cheap to.

KCookie

by KCookie

theStig wrote:thanks!

the deda tape does look nice.. how well does it wear?
KCookie wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:24 am
Nice GTR by the way.

I've only changed the tape once in 18 months, but at au$11, it wouldn't say its going to break the bank if more often.

jch3n

by jch3n

+1 on ditching the matchy, matchy new stuff.

I will forever extol the virtues of a Kalloy Uno stem (debadged with acetone, Ti bolts if you want) and unbranded Chinese carbon seatposts from a reputable Ebay or Aliexpress seller. Lightweight for not much change at all. I've been running these on multiple bikes for years without issues.

Other than that...
- 180-195g handlebars are pretty good, so you could go with either one
- Lightweight skewers and tubes will save a decent chunk
- A light steerer expander plug, bolt, and cap could save 20-40g like someone mentioned earlier
- Chain with hollow pins and plates (e.g. KMC X11SL) could save 20-30g
- Bartape, easy 40-50g savings potentially
- Lighter cables and cable housing can save 30-50g
- Seatpost collar, ~10g maybe?

Little things add up.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rotor chai sets are not light.

Cheap ebay ti qrs can be good and around 40g so that's 60g saved. Novatec qrs used on the a291 and f482 hubs are 65g.

Conti supersonic inner tubes are 50g each and not too expensive.

Sand the frame they saves weight and if its aluminium remove the paint and get it anodized. Thats 100g.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rotor chainsets are not light.

Cheap ebay ti qrs can be good and around 40g so that's 60g saved. Novatec qrs used on the a291 and f482 hubs are 65g.

Sand the frame they saves weight and if its aluminium remove the paint and get it anodized. Thats 100g.

theStig

by theStig

I just might.. if I don't end up hitting 6.8 i'll probably swap the stem and seatpost out, they were cheap enough.

I have more parts on the way, not much cabling since it's di2. Carbon seatpost collar on the way too as well as some tune skewers.

jch3n wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:33 pm
+1 on ditching the matchy, matchy new stuff.

I will forever extol the virtues of a Kalloy Uno stem (debadged with acetone, Ti bolts if you want) and unbranded Chinese carbon seatposts from a reputable Ebay or Aliexpress seller. Lightweight for not much change at all. I've been running these on multiple bikes for years without issues.

Other than that...
- 180-195g handlebars are pretty good, so you could go with either one
- Lightweight skewers and tubes will save a decent chunk
- A light steerer expander plug, bolt, and cap could save 20-40g like someone mentioned earlier
- Chain with hollow pins and plates (e.g. KMC X11SL) could save 20-30g
- Bartape, easy 40-50g savings potentially
- Lighter cables and cable housing can save 30-50g
- Seatpost collar, ~10g maybe?

Little things add up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theStig

by theStig

Yeah, unfortunately it's integrated with the power2max power meter so I'm stuck with it. I can swap the crank arms with the 3D+ but that would only save like 20g

The new frame is already the same finish - matte over raw carbon so I doubt I'd save much weight there.

Conti tubes are on order, as well as tune skewers. that's an easy 200g i am hoping as the DA skewers are HEAVY and I'm running some heavy bonti tubes at the moment.

I am considering swapping the 700x25 for a set of 700x23 i have sitting around but not sure how much weight that will drop.
bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Rotor chainsets are not light.