Looks great! Perhaps you can give Darimo a run for the money

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:15 am
Looks great! Perhaps you can give Darimo a run for the money Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I think Darimo will gladly let me have the monopoly on the aftermarket first generation Urgestalt seatposts. :p

I have actually made and sold one custom Urgestalt seatpost already. A 350mm one for someone with long legs/small frame;

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Just out of curiosity why the seatpost out layer is wrinckled like that? Shouldn't thta be more smooth? Or does that not affect the robustness?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
Just out of curiosity why the seatpost out layer is wrinckled like that? Shouldn't thta be more smooth? Or does that not affect the robustness?
I make the seatpost in the easiest way possible, with a mandrel that I roll wrap pre-preg carbon fiber around and instead of vacuum I use perforated shrink tape.

I wrap the pre-preg as hard as I possibly can around the mandrel, and then the shrink tape squeeze it even harder, pushing out excess epoxy resin and ensuring that there are no air stuck in between the layers. This cause some wrinkling and it's unavoidable with this many layers that I use. It's possible to fill in the wrinkles with epoxy resin and then sand it all smooth.

You can see more about how I made the seatpost on page 7.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Does anyone know why lightweight does not sell frames anymore?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:18 am
My guess is that Lightweight never sold very many Urgestalt frames. The first generation Urgestalt frames (like this one) was an interesting frame with an old school geometry and the weird proprietary seatpost shape, but not a great frame and definitely not a very lightweight frame, quite heavy actually.

The second generation Urgestalt frame is more generic with a more traditional geometry and the non-proprietary 27,2mm seatpost. Making it much less interesting. The second generation frames have been listed on eBay at discount prices for many years leading me to believe they were difficult to sell at all.

Lightweight being a premium brand were probably not interested in being known for average quality frames not even being made by them. :p

Lucendi

by Lucendi

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
Here's an attempt of a more smooth looking seatpost. The surface has been sanded down, transparent filler has been applied and lastly it has been clearcoated in high gloss.

Image Image

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Thanks lucendi. The new look is very nice

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Lucendi wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:06 am
mike wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:18 am
My guess is that Lightweight never sold very many Urgestalt frames. The first generation Urgestalt frames (like this one) was an interesting frame with an old school geometry and the weird proprietary seatpost shape, but not a great frame and definitely not a very lightweight frame, quite heavy actually.

The second generation Urgestalt frame is more generic with a more traditional geometry
and the non-proprietary 27,2mm seatpost. Making it much less interesting. The second generation frames have been listed on eBay at discount prices for many years leading me to believe they were difficult to sell at all.

Lightweight being a premium brand were probably not interested in being known for average quality frames not even being made by them. :p
Hi,
the geometry of 1st and 2nd gen. Urgestalt is identical, only noteworthy difference is longer chainstays on 2nd-gen., permitting the use of tires with bigger diameter (max.32mm).

https://www.rennrad-news.de/news/lightw ... ghtweight/

https://www.7hundred.co.uk/bikes/bike-f ... yan__52116

lw went bankrupt in 2020, in consequence they were merging with Murtfeldt Kunststoffe GmbH & Co. KG as strategic partner. They were restructuring their range, i assume they will offer frames again, sooner or later.

regards,

Lucendi

by Lucendi

reedplayer wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm
Hi,
the geometry of 1st and 2nd gen. Urgestalt is identical, only noteworthy difference is longer chainstays on 2nd-gen., permitting the use of tires with bigger diameter (max.32mm).

https://www.rennrad-news.de/news/lightw ... ghtweight/

https://www.7hundred.co.uk/bikes/bike-f ... yan__52116

lw went bankrupt in 2020, in consequence they were merging with Murtfeldt Kunststoffe GmbH & Co. KG as strategic partner. They were restructuring their range, i assume they will offer frames again, sooner or later.

regards,
Thanks for clearing that up! - The second generation does look more modern to me somehow, maybe it's the disc brakes and the different frame tube profiles that fooled my eye.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Hi lucendi how did you make the post for the basso diamanté? I am thinking of making one myself but the curves of the post and the v shape in the back make this quite difficult.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Thank you for keeping the WW spirit alive and well. I used to run those same bars. Never got used to the drops but I did find that putting the bottom/last cm of the bar parallel with the ground made them feel better. I think I added a strip of bartape to ease the transition between the bars and the hoods too. Just a thought.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:35 pm
Hi lucendi how did you make the post for the basso diamanté? I am thinking of making one myself but the curves of the post and the v shape in the back make this quite difficult.
Hi Mike! I have posted the entire process of making the Basso seatpost here; DIY shave 110 g off a seatpost!

The owner of the Basso bike wanted a short seatpost so I could simply modify the original one and cut a lot off the top. It would be harder to manufacture a seatpost with the odd shape of the Basso Diamante, but I could maybe do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

mike wrote:Hi lucendi how did you make the post for the basso diamanté? I am thinking of making one myself but the curves of the post and the v shape in the back make this quite difficult.
Happy to show you more pics etc if you wanted mate.

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry