2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.05kg w/ custom wheelset

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Luften wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 pm
Hi, really great bike - congrats!

What are your thoughts on the Extralite stem versus the stock S-Works one? Have you noticed any difference in stiffness or feel on the bike?
Thanks.
I've only ridden the S-Works stem for 150km, until the Extralite was delivered.
I did not notice any difference at all in stiffness or feel.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

sepedasultan

by sepedasultan

Great work. very handsome bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sepedasultan

by sepedasultan

If you don't mind sharing list of upgrade, weight saving and estimated cost. much appreciated. I've just got my new exact bick delivered.

Thanks in advance Sir!

Angui

by Angui

justRideIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Hey justRideit
how's the no-offset seatpost working vs the stock 20mm offset? Is there less compliance? Does it modify meaningfully your position on the bike?
Am hesitant to pull the trigger - your advice would be much appreciated...

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Angui wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:34 pm
justRideIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Hey justRideit
how's the no-offset seatpost working vs the stock 20mm offset? Is there less compliance? Does it modify meaningfully your position on the bike?
Am hesitant to pull the trigger - your advice would be much appreciated...
I did a Retül bikefitting for my SL6 and due to my short femur bones, I need 0 mm offset to position myself correctly in relation to bottom bracket.
So the choice of 0mm setback was not because of weight savings, compliance or looks, I only ride 0mm because it fits my body geometry.

Yes, 0mm setback modifies the position meaningfully on the bike. Otherwise I feel sitting too far behind, kind of pedaling forward instead of downward, or I have to move the saddle excessively forward (beyond min/max markings on saddle rails).

Before I installed the Darimo 0mm seat post, I rode the 0mm S-Works stock seatpost for 2.000 km.
I'm not the heaviest rider at 64-65kg, I would not say there is a difference in comfort. They feel the same.
Much more difference in compliance by dropping say 3 PSI from rear wheel tire pressure or by going from 25mm to 28mm tire.

Since I haven't ridden my SL6 with a S-Works setback seatpost, I cannot comment on comparison between setback and no-setback.

Until today, I rode the Darimo seatpost for a total of 14.000 km. It works perfectly and I can recommend it.

Hope this helps.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Hi,
I have a generic frame and ask if SL6 seatpost match with it.
Could you, please, tell me the width and depth of the seatpost ?
Thanks

justRideIt

by justRideIt

1sanglier wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 pm
Hi,
I have a generic frame and ask if SL6 seatpost match with it.
Could you, please, tell me the width and depth of the seatpost ?
Thanks
The SL6 seat post is not a standard round one, but aero-shaped and specific for the frame.
You need a proper form fit all over the circumference to make sure the post fits properly. I don't think width and depth matching will mean that it would match your frame.

If your generic frame can fit standard Specialized post, then the Darimo will fit as well.

ArtV

by ArtV

Great build! What size Alptitude mount are you using for your Garmin 530?

ArtV

justRideIt

by justRideIt

ArtV wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Great build! What size Alptitude mount are you using for your Garmin 530?

ArtV
Thanks. Small length. Fits the 530, and even the larger 1030 Plus.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Since I've gotten some questions from a fellow Weightweenie about my experience with the Hyperstem and Alpitude Stelvio Garmin Out Front mount, I thought I'd post an update here.

I've been running the Extralite Hyperstem for over 15.000 km. The fork I've inspected recently, no marks on the fork.
Some minor marks on the 3T handlebars, in the "sandpaper" clamping area, but just on the surface & cosmetic, no functional impact.

For mounting, I applied carbon grip paste for increased friction both around the steerer and the handlebar. Extralite manual does not recommend using carbon grip paste.

Tightened acc. to spec: steerer bolts @ 3 Nm, handlbar bolts @ 2 Nm.

I cannot recommend the current version of Alpitude's Stelvio Garmin out-front mount.
The Alpitude Stelvio's distance spacer was not a good fit to the Extralite clamp, and over time after around 12.000 km the lower right clamp has broken in the area where the Alpitude's distance spacer meets. See picture of broken clamp and Alpitude distance spacer below.
Fortunately during the ride, I heard some rattling from the broken bar clamp, and made it home very carefully with only one tightened bar clamp.
This could have ended badly.

I've contacted Andrea from Alpitude and he promised to send me a new distance spacer, which never happened.
I also heard that Alpitude is about to release a new version of this mount connecting to two bolts.

As a replacement out-front mount, since 3.000km I've been running the Extralite-CH02. Much better fit to the Hyperstem. It distributes the load more symmetrical across all four bolts.
In the beginning I thought the CH-02 looks overengineered, but after the near-miss with the Alpitude Stelvio, I welcome a little overengineering :D

Extralite CH-02 allows mounting accessories on a GoPro mount (which I use for a Garmin Varia front light when the days get shorter).

Mind you, I am not a strong and heavy rider doing 1600W sprints.
My sprint is laughable, I do endurance rides and like to push it on the climbs at around threshold power.
If I were going for sprints and often pulling on the handlebars, I'd run something beefier than the Extralite.

Also, I've mounted the new Continental GP 5000 S TR, 30mm wide in a tubeless setup on the Roval CLX 50s. Inflated to 50 PSI, they measure around 30.4mm wide.
No kilometers on them yet though, still waiting for spring :beerchug:

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Finally took the Tarmac out of winter hibernation.

Current setup with 30mm Continental GP 5000 S TR front and rear. I run them at front 42 / rear 44 PSI (2.9 / 3.0 bar) in a tubeless setup.
35ml of Stans sealant.

Magic carpet ride, very smooth and comfortable.

Also, chopped off the part of the fork above the Extralite stem.

Was tired of all the black gunk building up on the drivetrain, so I went over to the chain waxing camp.
Right into the deep end with chain degreasing in multiple containers, immersion waxing in slow cookers etc.
Chain is waxed with Molten Speed Wax.

And finally, back to the original S-Works seatpost instead of the Darimo.
Due to my short femur bone, I need 0mm seatpost offset and the saddle all the way forward.
The Darimo seatpost's clamping mechanism did not allow me to achieve the bike fit I need.
If I put the saddle in my preferred position, then some of the Darimo's alloy parts were touching the carbon seatpost leading to creaking.

I prioritize fit over weight.

Archie100

by Archie100

justRideIt wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 am
Since I've gotten some questions from a fellow Weightweenie about my experience with the Hyperstem and Alpitude Stelvio Garmin Out Front mount, I thought I'd post an update here.

I've been running the Extralite Hyperstem for over 15.000 km. The fork I've inspected recently, no marks on the fork.
Some minor marks on the 3T handlebars, in the "sandpaper" clamping area, but just on the surface & cosmetic, no functional impact.

For mounting, I applied carbon grip paste for increased friction both around the steerer and the handlebar. Extralite manual does not recommend using carbon grip paste.

I cannot recommend the current version of Alpitude's Stelvio Garmin out-front mount.
The Alpitude Stelvio's distance spacer was not a good fit to the Extralite clamp, and over time after around 12.000 km the lower right clamp has broken in the area where the Alpitude's distance spacer meets. See picture of broken clamp and Alpitude distance spacer below.
Fortunately during the ride, I heard some rattling from the broken bar clamp, and made it home very carefully with only one tightened bar clamp.

I've contacted Andrea from Alpitude and he promised to send me a new distance spacer, which never happened.
I also heard that Alpitude is about to release a new version of this mount connecting to two bolts.

As a replacement out-front mount, since 3.000km I've been running the Extralite-CH02. Much better fit to the Hyperstem. It distributes the load more symmetrical across all four bolts.
In the beginning I thought the CH-02 looks overengineered, but after the near-miss with the Alpitude Stelvio, I welcome a little overengineering :D

Extralite CH-02 allows mounting accessories on a GoPro mount (which I use for a Garmin Varia front light when the days get shorter).

My sprint is laughable, I do endurance rides and like to push it on the climbs at around threshold power.
If I were going for sprints and often pulling on the handlebars, I'd run something beefier than the Extralite.

Hi, here is a picture of the new Apitude mount for Extralite stem with mounting bolts for each side of the stem - this is not my own, it's just a picture I received from Alpitude when I was asking about the mount they had for Extralite Hyperstem - they said they had a new mount available for that stem
17ef7adfe92a3e8df2e3.jpeg

mathias720

by mathias720

justRideIt wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 am

Also, I've mounted the new Continental GP 5000 S TR, 30mm wide in a tubeless setup on the Roval CLX 50s. Inflated to 50 PSI, they measure around 30.4mm wide.
No kilometers on them yet though, still waiting for spring :beerchug:

can you provide some pictures of the ch-02 i was originally looking to buy the stelvio mount for my extralite and wahoo. but not sure i want after reading the failure of it.
only concern about the ch-02 is it beeing really long for a wahoo bolt v2, seems to be fine for a 1030 but will maybe look dumb with bolt.
could you meassure how far out the center of the garmin mount sits ?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

mathias720 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:39 am

can you provide some pictures of the ch-02 i was originally looking to buy the stelvio mount for my extralite and wahoo. but not sure i want after reading the failure of it.
only concern about the ch-02 is it beeing really long for a wahoo bolt v2, seems to be fine for a 1030 but will maybe look dumb with bolt.
could you meassure how far out the center of the garmin mount sits ?
Hey Mathias,

definitely, the Extralite CH-02 mount is on the longer side. See combined with Garmin Edge 530 in the pictures.

Advantages of the longer dimensions: Garmin Edge buttons on the bottom of the unit are easier to access and since the head unit sits more out front, it's easier to look at while riding.

The looks are more balanced with the larger Edge 1030, but the 1030 is a chonky headunit.
On the Tarmac I ride the Edge 530.

After contacting Alpitude about the failure a year ago, this week they've provided me with the recently released second generation of the Stelvio mount.
The Alpitude looks much sleeker and minimalistic. It mounts symmetrically with the two bottom stem bolts.
I'd expect it to be more reliable than first-gen.
I still have to install it on the Tarmac though.
Currently spending more time on the gravel bike.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Here some pictures of the second-generation Alpitude Stelvio mount with Garmin Edge 530.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com