2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.05kg w/ custom wheelset

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

justRideIt

by justRideIt

captainolek wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm
Hi,
Awesome build - thanks for the inspiration! What's the expander plug/top cap you are using on these pictures? I struggle to understand what parts I need for a Sworks stem coming w/o the expander plug. Thanks :)
It's a Carbon-Ti black matte carbon, with the black screw.
See here: https://r2-bike.com/CARBON-TI-Ahead-Cap ... atte-black

For some, it might be slightly too small in diameter, since it is not 100% flush with the upper spacer (as you can see in the picture you quoted)... but good enough for me ;)
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Four weeks ago I put the Roval CLX 50 wheelset back on, but switched the Vittoria Latex tubes (84g each) for the new Tubolito S-Tubo Road (24g each). Those are only approved for use with disc brakes. Also carry one in my saddle bag, since it is so light and compact.
Been running them for 1.000km without issues. They hold air much better than latex tubes (which I had to pump up before every two days).
Only gripe I have with the Tubolitos is the orange valve stem, which does not match any color on the bike :lol:

The Roval CLX 50 with Tubolitos are almost exactly +200g heavier than my tubeless climbing wheelset.
On descents where I am just coasting (>60 kph), they are significantly faster than the shallow wheels.

I've been smashing personal records up 30 minute climbs with the CLX 50s, which I had previously set with the climbing wheels.
It's not only the equipment though - deeper into the cycling season, my power to weight has improved also. Currently riding at an FTP of 4.7 W/kg.

Would I have been even quicker with the shallow wheelset? Maybe... but ultimately & under the bottom line it is more about how the legs respond on a given day :D

And for sure, looks matter... and the S-Works Turbo Cottons on Roval CLX 50 get 10 out of 10 on the Tarmac :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

What a beauty, the cotton walls are the icing on the cake!
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

aroszko

by aroszko

justRideIt wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 am

What I especially like is the Stelvio Garmin mount from https://alpitude.cc/ , which integrates nicely with the Hyperstem. Replaces one of the four bolts and adds a mounting plate.
Makes for a clean cockpit, one less clamp around the handlebars and the Garmin sits nicely centered in front of the stem.
Did you get the specific Hyperstem Alpitude mount or the standard Stelvio V2?
2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6 - Rim - Chameleon Flake - 6.72kg (w/ pedals+cages)

justRideIt

by justRideIt

aroszko wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm
justRideIt wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 am

What I especially like is the Stelvio Garmin mount from https://alpitude.cc/ , which integrates nicely with the Hyperstem. Replaces one of the four bolts and adds a mounting plate.
Makes for a clean cockpit, one less clamp around the handlebars and the Garmin sits nicely centered in front of the stem.
Did you get the specific Hyperstem Alpitude mount or the standard Stelvio V2?
I got the one specific for Extralite Hyperstem.
If I recall correctly, when I placed the order last year there was no Stelvio V2 yet.

Rob61

by Rob61

I see that you have a conical headset spacer, that is the one I'am also looking for, where did you buy that one (on the internet).
Read your topic from the beginning, great information and you have a very nice Tarmac. I was also started the building of a Tarmac SL6 with frame size 58 around the same time you where starting.
Mine is now on 6,455 kg. with the Roval 32 CLX wheels.
Going to change the wheels for the Roval Alphinist or thinking to let build the wheels, because I want to use the Tarmac for climbing as you are doing.

Why are you don't use Speedplay because that saves you more weight, and I think that your Tarmac will end under the 6 kg.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Great Posting
Can i ask the weight of frame and fork?
You come from Germany?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Rob61 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:02 pm
I see that you have a conical headset spacer, that is the one I'am also looking for, where did you buy that one (on the internet).
Read your topic from the beginning, great information and you have a very nice Tarmac. I was also started the building of a Tarmac SL6 with frame size 58 around the same time you where starting.
Going to change the wheels for the Roval Alphinist or thinking to let build the wheels, because I want to use the Tarmac for climbing as you are doing.

Why are you don't use Speedplay because that saves you more weight, and I think that your Tarmac will end under the 6 kg.
Thanks Rob!

Are you talking about the first spacer, right on top of the top tube?
Both the conical and the flat headset spacer were included with the frameset. Initially the bike shop built it with the flat one and put the conical one into the box with all the leftover small parts.
Since I do not have the stem slammed, I like the look of the conical spacer better. It hides the "gap" between top tube and stem better ;)

I was thinking about the speedplays and talked with friends about them. They like them once they are set up, and they leave a lot of flexibility to get everything just right. But at the same time they said they dread everytime they get a new pair of shoes and have to set up the cleats again.
Since I do not have any knee or fit issues, I like the reliability and "set it and forget it" of the Dura Ace pedals with their fat pedaling platform.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Pinguin wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Great Posting
Can i ask the weight of frame and fork?
You come from Germany?
Yes, I am from Germany.
I would also like to know the weight of frame and fork, but my bike shop has built the Tarmac up for me and I forgot to ask them to send me pictures of frame + fork
weight. So unfortunately, cannot tell you.

m3lodiaa

by m3lodiaa

I love how detailed and thorough your build and documentation is, staying true to typical German fashion with love to detail. I am using this as a blueprint for my current disc brake build.
May I ask how you attach the mini pump to the bike? It looks like via the bottle cages...

Please keep it coming!

tomsneo

by tomsneo

amazing build!!! one of my favorites for sure
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Rob61 wrote:
any is42 headset works. I have a 15mm cane creek. they are interchangable with standard specialized 20mm bearing cover.

Rob61

by Rob61

justRideIt wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm
Rob61 wrote:

Thanks Rob!

Are you talking about the first spacer, right on top of the top tube?
Both the conical and the flat headset spacer were included with the frameset. Initially the bike shop built it with the flat one and put the conical one into the box with all the leftover small parts.
Since I do not have the stem slammed, I like the look of the conical spacer better. It hides the "gap" between top tube and stem better ;)

I was thinking about the speedplays and talked with friends about them. They like them once they are set up, and they leave a lot of flexibility to get everything just right. But at the same time they said they dread everytime they get a new pair of shoes and have to set up the cleats again.
Since I do not have any knee or fit issues, I like the reliability and "set it and forget it" of the Dura Ace pedals with their fat pedaling platform.
Thanks justRideIt for your reply, it is the first spacer. That one is indeed included with the frameset I found it in a box what I get from the bikeshop. I also let built the Tarmac via the bike shop.
Thanks for the reminder of the spacer :beerchug: But I'am looking for a 3k glossy carbon one. The stem that I have is from Darimo IX4 3K glossy. I will ask the bike shop or look on the internet.

About the speedplay I can follow your arguments, I have now one pair of shoes for the Tarmac with Speedplay, and another pair of shoes with the SPD-SL on the Venge. In the past I always used SPD-SL but with the build of the Tarmac I was looking for less weight.
I will experience how the Speedplay will function for me in the future.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

m3lodiaa wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:12 am
I love how detailed and thorough your build and documentation is, staying true to typical German fashion with love to detail. I am using this as a blueprint for my current disc brake build.
May I ask how you attach the mini pump to the bike? It looks like via the bottle cages...

Please keep it coming!
Thanks all for your feedback. Happy to return useful information.

Correct m3lodiaa, it is a pump holder underneath the rear bottle cage. I use the Topeak Micro Rocket, which comes with the holder included for a total weight of 60g.
I like to have my emergency kit of spare Tubolito tube and mini pump right on the bike, so that I do not have to think about whether to put it into a jersey pocket or a cargo bottle.

I had used a Barbieri Nana pump before, which is lighter than the Micro Rocket (under 30g for pump), but it (or my technique) struggled to get the tire pressure above 3 bars with it. The Topeak Micro Rocket works much better in my experience. Its seal around the Sclaverand valve holds are much better.

Also I had tried the Lezyne Carbon Road Drive S, very nice build quality and the connection to the valve via flexible tube works well... but that pump was huuuuuuge for an emergency pump, which I need two or three times a year.

Picture of the Topeak pump incl. bottle cage holder here:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luften

by Luften

Hi, really great bike - congrats!

What are your thoughts on the Extralite stem versus the stock S-Works one? Have you noticed any difference in stiffness or feel on the bike?