Kayrehn's Factor VAM disc build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Damn, that Darimo bar and stem is clean looking. Needs a carbonworks Darimo mount though ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Kazyole wrote:Damn, that Darimo bar and stem is clean looking. Needs a carbonworks Darimo mount though ;)
My raceware mount is 5x cheaper and only 2g heavier Image unfortunately I'm not a dentist Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:58 am
Kazyole wrote:Damn, that Darimo bar and stem is clean looking. Needs a carbonworks Darimo mount though ;)
My raceware mount is 5x cheaper and only 2g heavier Image unfortunately I'm not a dentist Image

Fair enough. I'm using a raceware one at the moment as well and it works well enough. And yours is nicely color coordinated anyway.

George46GR

by George46GR

Could you please explain why you choosed the Carbon-Ti hubs instead of the Extralite CyberFront/Rear SPD 2 ? They are even lighter than the Carnon Ti. I am a 85 kg rider and want to built a lightweight disk brake wheelset with every day use, NOT only races (I do note race.... yet....), thus they should also be durable and reliable. I was thinking of the Extralites CyberFront/Rear SPD2 hubs plus a parcours grimpeur 40 mm rim set (410 gr per rim). Could you please advise ? Thank you. Your built sounds unbilievable.....
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

George46GR wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:08 am
Could you please explain why you choosed the Carbon-Ti hubs instead of the Extralite CyberFront/Rear SPD 2 ?
Might not be compatible with Berd Polylight, I commented on this in my thread and maybe here too.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

George46GR wrote:Could you please explain why you choosed the Carbon-Ti hubs instead of the Extralite CyberFront/Rear SPD 2 ?
Mainly cos I like the bling Image Also, my wheelbuilder would advised me to use the HyperRear 2 mtb hub instead as it has better spoke tension balance between left and right flange. My Carbon-ti is still heavier than the HyperRear by about 30g but... the bling...

KCookie

by KCookie

Kayrehn wrote:This finally arrived after 3.5 months. Unfortunately I don't know how to remove the original ones (any help?) and so can't do a weight comparison.

All components in, build can finally begin! Maybr one last spin on my Fuji before I take it apart; I am sure I can feel the 0.5kg difference between the two, and might miss the feeling of lightness. Image
20200128_133558.jpg
15.5g saved over the original clamps! Image
Think I might have to get these clamps to when I order my stem.
My Schmolke clamps were 7.2g. So more grams will be saved.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

KCookie wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:This finally arrived after 3.5 months. Unfortunately I don't know how to remove the original ones (any help?) and so can't do a weight comparison.

All components in, build can finally begin! Maybr one last spin on my Fuji before I take it apart; I am sure I can feel the 0.5kg difference between the two, and might miss the feeling of lightness. Image
20200128_133558.jpg
15.5g saved over the original clamps! Image
Think I might have to get these clamps to when I order my stem.
My Schmolke clamps were 7.2g. So more grams will be saved.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Do that and you'll be hitting peak weight optimisation Image for me it's more of small incremental weight savings like these and tesa tape for the bars.

I decided that heat shrink hoods will be a bit too challenging due to the fact that the hydraulic shifters have a lot going on to do a neat even piece of work.

young

by young

what size frame? my 49 frame set weight is 707g and 286g (cut)

also are you running 38cm bars and 120mm stem
I have very similar weights for my darimo.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Size 54 frame, 38mm bars and 130mm stem. Hopefully I can ride it in Sept and report back on feel.

survivor

by survivor

It's September and we are expecting a ride report :mrgreen:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

1st proper shakedown ride on today - with most of my parts from my previous Fuji, it felt pretty much the same except that the disc wheels definitely felt stiffer. It took so long to build up because the LBS cut the steerer too short the first time round and the replacement fork took 7 months to come (during this time Factor came up with 3 new reiterations of their current stable and 2 new models). Am extremely happy to have a quiet drive train and braking system (which was a very pleasant surprise after reading squealing disc stories). This should last me for quite a while.

Oh, 5.22kg there with everything that's bolted on. My only disappointment ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

LewisK

by LewisK

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the build or the fact the bike shop managed to cut your forks too short 😳
Beautiful bike!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:20 am
Oh, 5.22kg there with everything that's bolted on.
You mean with two bottles, bell and lights :shock: Congratulations on finishing the build. Man, I need to get an Aethos frameset 😅

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nice bike (a bit loud for my tastes) and good weight of course. The LBS messing up the fork cut boggles the mind.

Building a rim brake VAM of my own soon. Will be very boring by comparison. I am on the fence about the Clavicula. I just can't tolerate bb/crank noise. Does the THM crank/bb combo feel solid? Silent? I fear if I can flex it too much it will ultimately start to make some noise.

Any more to say about handling, comfort, etc?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.