Kayrehn's Factor VAM disc build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Update of incoming parts -

Sram HRD levers and calipers - only found 3 online retailers selling them, most stock only AXS now

Ashima Aineon rotors, J&L thru-axles and titanium rotor bolts set - from ebay

Sram Red Gxp cranks - new from eBay, in case the BB30 cranks can't go on the frame.

And now I'm left with the wheel build. To use Berd spokes, I'll have to use Carbon-ti X-Hub SP for the front and stick with Extralite HyperRear 2 for the rear hub. Can anyone offer a review of the Farsport 25mm rims? My wheelbuilder is advising against it based on a perceived lack of strength. I don't know how much stronger a 30mm rims can be over a 25mm rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:30 pm
Update of incoming parts -

Sram HRD levers and calipers - only found 3 online retailers selling them, most stock only AXS now

Ashima Aineon rotors, J&L thru-axles and titanium rotor bolts set - from ebay

Sram Red Gxp cranks - new from eBay, in case the BB30 cranks can't go on the frame.

And now I'm left with the wheel build. To use Berd spokes, I'll have to use Carbon-ti X-Hub SP for the front and stick with Extralite HyperRear 2 for the rear hub. Can anyone offer a review of the Farsport 25mm rims? My wheelbuilder is advising against it based on a perceived lack of strength. I don't know how much stronger a 30mm rims can be over a 25mm rim Image
Why don't you buy something like Schmolke or Bikebeat?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I've never heard of bikebeat, thanks for pointing them out to me. It's still best to build light wheels from preferred parts, due to my past experience with my previous wheels. Almost all light wheels uses ti/light alloy spokes (which fatigue quickly - my ti spokes started breaking at 2000km), extralite road hubs (which doesn't have good drive/NDS tension ratio) and internal nipples (which makes it a pain to true with tubular wheels), all which are not ideal. Hence my current plan for using Berd spokes still (I believe they are indestructible for cycling usage), extralite mtb hubs (with good tension ratio) and rims with external nipples.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 am
I've never heard of bikebeat, thanks for pointing them out to me. It's still best to build light wheels from preferred parts, due to my past experience with my previous wheels. Almost all light wheels uses ti/light alloy spokes (which fatigue quickly - my ti spokes started breaking at 2000km), extralite road hubs (which doesn't have good drive/NDS tension ratio) and internal nipples (which makes it a pain to true with tubular wheels), all which are not ideal. Hence my current plan for using Berd spokes still (I believe they are indestructible for cycling usage), extralite mtb hubs (with good tension ratio) and rims with external nipples.

Schmolke, Tune, Bikebeat and more uses same braded rims but with a minor difference in ext/int width.
So, a braided rim is supposedly more impact resistant. I have no idea of Berd spokes, but i have seen them.
How about keeping tension on those?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

I would steer clear of FSE rims, i had my wheelset for 6 months and by chance noticed a section of the braking areas had delaminated. After much comms with FSE they have decided to basically ignore all my comms....

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 am
......extralite road hubs (which doesn't have good drive/NDS tension ratio) and internal nipples (which makes it a pain to true with tubular wheels), all which are not ideal.
Yes, from experience i would try to avoid this combination!

Looking forward to this build! "Imaking"s Factor looks absolutely amazing!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It landed yesterday! Image
16g over claimed weight but there are the port covers on and a solid strip of chainstay protector etc so that's fine.
This is real good!
J&L thru-axles coming Image seatpost binder Image
Headset bearings Image
Gonna slam the stem so this is the only one needed.

Last edited by Kayrehn on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The parts going onto itImageImageImageImage
-5g for 2 extra screws added onto the scale
Last edited by Kayrehn on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cerro

by cerro

Wow, That Berk combo looks much more comfortable than mine, but 18g heavier ;)

KCookie

by KCookie

Where did you get the xpesso 15 peddles from please. Mine need replacing and can't find any anywhere. Cheers.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

KCookie wrote:Where did you get the xpesso 15 peddles from please. Mine need replacing and can't find any anywhere. Cheers.
This is an old photo actually, gonna transfer them from my Fuji bike over to the new build. I recently saw someone here (one of the admin I think) selling 2 pairs!
Last edited by Kayrehn on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Kayrehn wrote:
KCookie wrote:Where did you get the xpesso 15 peddles from please. Mine need replacing and can't find any anywhere. Cheers.
This is an old photo actually, gonna transfer them from my Fuji bike over to the new build. I recently saw someone here (one of the admin I think) selling 2 pairs!

Awesome, thanks will take a look.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wow this build is going to be nice. I’m looking forward to seeing how light you can make it. You are off to a really good start with that frame weight and all the parts so far. With some Berd wheels you will definitely be lower than the Fairwheel Bikes build done some time ago.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for popping by Godzuki26, nothing very much custom or exciting compared to your project heh. I haven't got round to doing a weight estimation yet. I took a look at madcow's build list and it seems like a toss-up - he has lighter cranks and saddle-post unit but I have a lighter cockpit and frame. Farsport 25mm wheels at claimed 250g each were ordered 2 days ago (They said they will weight it to ensure it's within acceptable range before shipping) but they will be paired up with MTB disc hubs so that'll add more weight compared with usual road hubs.

I am going to get fluoro yellow custom decals over all the blacked out logos and black decals over the red stripes, don't really like the subtle red accents and am not a fan of the stealth look. Am thinking of getting matching Carbon-Ti hubs in acid-green to go, will it be excessive?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I was wondering what your color scheme was gong to be. I really like that Carbon Ti hub! You should do it!!! Don't be boring and get black like everyone else :thumbup: If you are getting Black Berd Spokes and carbon rims those hubs will pop nice like this.....

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com