Kayrehn's Factor VAM disc build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Have been thinking about getting my first disc road bike and had to grab this frameset new at 60% off local retail when I saw it; the frame will be coming in a fortnight's time and I want to start collecting parts. It will be my new WW bike and I will be cannibalising the Fuji for parts. I have dreams of going for bike vacations while being a shitty descender so am hoping that getting disc brakes can help things somewhat.

Parts that I'll bring over - Darimo cockpit with Schmolke Ahead Cap, Berk saddle-seatpost combo, Red Etap front and rear derailleur, Red BB30 cranks with Extralite rings, KMC DLC chain and Rotor Uno cassette.

Parts I'll need (ideas for)
Rims - 25mm shallow carbon tubulars for maximum weight savings. So far only seen 1-2 companies selling them, with Far Sports listing them at 250g each. Any other recommendations?

Hubs and spokes - Extralite HyperRear2 hubs and Berd spokes. My wheelbuilder says this hub offers better Drive/NDS side tension ratio.

Rotor - Sram Centreline X, or are there lighter-but-still-reliable options?

Shifters and Calipers - Etap 11 speed HRD, nothing to tune there.

Axles - J&L axles can save 12g perhaps, should I?

Seems like a straight forward build because there isn't much to tune. Any ideas to make things lighter will be much appreciated!

Last edited by Kayrehn on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joejack951

by joejack951

On the Farsports rims (assuming you mean the 25mm deep, 23mm wide rim brake ones), I had to request that they not 'reinforce' my rims for use with disc brakes. I requested that they leave off the brake track, for obvious reasons, and their initial response was that they wanted to add 30 grams to each rim because of my intended use. They agreed to build them the standard way after I assured them I'd be fine. My rims came in at 253 and 254 grams.

Hard to beat them for the price/weight. I searched a lot and that's where I landed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Can you use the BB30 Red crankset on the BBRight shell?

I think these Red cranks are "true" (short spindle") BB30.

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

Slammed

by Slammed

Ashima ai2 rotors are a lot lighter than Sram or Shimano and brake fine. I have them on my mtb and they're more than powerful enough. You can also use ti rotor bolts or even aluminium bolts if your dental insurance is up to par :)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@joejack951 - Thanks for the great advice!

@AndreLM - The BB supposedly comes with a Wheels Manufacturing 24mm reducer for use with Shimano cranks, which led me to think that it's possible to fit BB30 cranksets on them. But I find it hard to educate myself in this area though, so I'm still unsure at the moment. I got this snippet about the Ceramicspeed BB from Cyclingtips.com -

@Slammed - I noticed that Madcow's O2 disc build uses them as well, just that I see some riders saying it doesn't work well. I am very tempted to try them if the weight is good, thanks for sharing your opinions about it. Btw, Sram's own rotors comes with accompanying ti bolts too, so I guess they are ok?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Check out these BTLOS rims: 30x26mm, 285+/-15g. I'd also be careful with Berd spokes in CyberRear SPD-2 - I had the same intention, but plugs are IMO too close to the endcap, I probably posted a photo somewhere. I find Ai-2 rotors OK and cheap to at least give them a go.

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:18 am
Btw, Sram's own rotors comes with accompanying ti bolts too, so I guess they are ok?
10.34g for both rotors.

What tires do you plan to run? A second, tubular wheelset to get under 5kg have been on my mind a for long while, but similarly sized tubulars are heavier than my clincher setup: ~280g per tire vs 243g. This would be my sunday wheelset. Maybe Corsa Speeds 23mm?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:02 pm
Check out these BTLOS rims: 30x26mm, 285+/-15g.
I have a pair, was forced to go Premium (so 330g per rim) because they said their engineers do not recommend Extralight for disc builds ;)

FSE have 25x24mm tubular rims, 220g each on paper although can't see if you could get the rims separately:
https://fse.bike/collections/extralite- ... bular-road
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Rudi

by Rudi

@kayrehn - I was going to post about the cranks also until I got the "IP address banned" issue. The 24mm reducer is for the spindle diameter. Don't think it will help if the length of the spindle is too short - as AndreLM was suggesting it might be.

I'm not sure what BBright crank options there are in 2019. I think someone said a BB386evo would work. I'd think something that worked out of the box would be better than having to use adapters.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Regarding your component choices, go 6bolt rotors, those setups are lighter (provided your disc wheels will have 6bolt hubs - Carbon Ti are a good choice).

SRAM rotors are very good and among the lightest of the standard stuff, if you wan't to be exotic, go for Carbon Ti rotors, you'll save around 30 grams, but boy they're expensive.

Not much to tune on SRAM Red HRD except shifter clamps - didn't ordinary rim shifter clamps fit HRD as well? If yes, change :D

Very curious to see the final weight of your build.
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@Klaster_1 - the CyberRear hubs don't work well for my current Extralite rim build. The tension ratio between the drive and NDS spokes aren't ideal, with the NDS spokes ending up with very low tension and the wheel getting out of true easily, which is really a PITA because internal nipples on tubular rims. Hence my wheelbuilder is suggesting the HyperRear2 hubs instead. He is suggesting 30mm rims as well which aesthetically looks better than 25mm ones but the switch to disc makes me feel the need to cut weight wherever I can.

Tires - I like the Vittoria Speed 23mm, am going to try the 2.0 version at the same width.
Rotors - I read about this 2 piece/'floating' rotor thing and the Ashima AiNeon rotors seems like a good choice at 71g with dual material as well.
Bolts - Was looking at the J&L ones too, will order from him after I get the frame and measure the axles, as I intend to get lighter axles from him too.

@mrlobber - Coincidentally I did contact FSE to ask them if they will sell the rims that madcow uses for his build. No reply as yet after 3 days however. Carbon-Ti rotors are bling but slightly heavier than Ashima and way expensive. Who makes shifter clams for Sram etap anyway? I think I recall seeing someone getting a pair from Darimo here, but it's not listed on his website. Any idea how much will the weight savings be?

@Rudi - After reading about the possible crank mismatch I looked up ebay and happened to see a brand new GXP cranks that's exactly what I need ending in 1.5h, and on impulse bidded for it and actually won! But I just went to my LBS yesterday and the owner (who rides an O2 himself) says the Sram BB30 cranks will fit. Now I can just put on whatever works and sell the other.

I'm looking at madcow's Factor disc build for inspiration and one area which I can possibly save weight in is the BB, but he tuned it himself and I can just imagine my mechanic rolling his eyes if I ask him to help do tuning ha. Not even sure how much the Ceramicspeed ones weigh, but I have no qualms about replacing it since my mechanic says it creaks after 3 months for him. The HSC BBright is apparently 79g which is very good, but I have to see if my cranks are compatible to it. Man I really want to use my Sram BB30 cranks so bad, because it is 50g lighter than the GXP version, just not sure if that's possible.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate the advice given!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:26 am
Hence my wheelbuilder is suggesting the HyperRear2
Sorry, I confused HyperRear2 with CyberRear SPD-2 😅 Yeah, these will be fine with Berds.
Kayrehn wrote:
I think I recall seeing someone getting a pair from Darimo here, but it's not listed on his website.
Send a email to Damia, I'm sure he won't refuse to make a set of clamps for you too. That was the case for me, but I don't own any SRAM levers.

Rudi

by Rudi

The Ceramic Speed BB that came with the Factor O2 Disc I am slowly assembling was 99g inc sleeve.

You mentioned the TAs, not sure what the J&L ones weigh but the Factor supplied ones were 26 and 33g for me.

Like you, I'm not really that sure where else I want to look for weight savings. Cranks are one option so I'll be interested to know what option you go with and whether the BB30 ones do actually work.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Kayrehn wrote:
Who makes shifter clams for Sram etap anyway? I think I recall seeing someone getting a pair from Darimo here, but it's not listed on his website. Any idea how much will the weight savings be?
I got a pair of (used) titanium ones for my rim brake Etap from a WW member, originally they are made or sold by Schmolke - 12 grams per pair.
Saved around 10g IIRC.
https://www.schmolke-carbon.com/product ... -for-sram/

Not aware of any carbon clamps for Etap, though, they for sure would be even lighter.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Rudi wrote:The Ceramic Speed BB that came with the Factor O2 Disc I am slowly assembling was 99g inc sleeve.

You mentioned the TAs, not sure what the J&L ones weigh but the Factor supplied ones were 26 and 33g for me.
That's great information, thanks! 99g isn't too bad and I might just stick to it first. The J&L ones are 41g claimed for front and back I think, for its price it's worth a try! I'll report back on whether my BB30 cranks do actually manage to go into the build.

@mrlobber I just shot off an email to Darimo hours ago asking him about making a pair of clamps for me Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

This should be a sweet build. For 6 bolt I actually quite liked the very light very cheap KCNC razors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com